Do subwoofer cables really make much difference??

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Amar, Apr 18, 2005.

1. Amar

Amar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I'm using some standard rca cables for my sub and I know I need to get a better cable.
    I'm using Van Den Hul/ Qed and Nordost cables for the rest of my system. Only thing, I'm not sure if it's worth spending very much on a subwoofer cable. Some people say it's not worth it, as a sub only transmits low frequencies. Others reckon it is worth spending more.
    I was going to get a chord calypso or a qed interconnect. Someones offered a Monster thx cable at a much better price.
    Having never compared subwoofer cables, does any one have any advice on whether or not it is worth spending alot of money on a sub cable?
    I'm using an MJ Acoustics Reference 1 sub connected up to a Denon 3802 amp and it sounds a tad too boomy. I'm guessing it's the useless standard interconnects. :suicide:

2. MattyKHZ

MattyKHZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I am thinking the same. Even though its only with the Denon 550 system. If you think about teh difference better interconnects, speaker, digital or scart cables make to picture or sound, why shoudl a sub cable not be any different?

Saying its not worth it because its only low frequency is like saying and RGB scart isn't worth it becaus eyou aren't getting sound through it. If bass is to be tight and powerful rather than being loose, then a cable could make the difference.

I'm gonna try it (new cable) when I can find the right one. But also think placement of sub is a contributing factor to how it sounds.

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    More likely to be setup or placement issues so try moving the sub away from any walls or corners and see if that reduces the boom.

Whilst a decent cable can make a difference to the overall sound it can't compensate for setup problems so try and set it up optimally first, then invest in a better cable.

4. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Placement is the main deciding factor. A good cable will help prevent any noise being induced into the system, a bad cable may allow noise in and a badly constructed one could induce undesirable hum. A cable won't change the "quality" of the sound output though. :)

5. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,045
    I suspect that the differences in performance between sub cables is very very subtle. Certainly not like changing your audio interconnects or speaker cable.

However, I still bought one of Mark Grant's cables anyway for peace of mind.
    I just wouldn't be able to sleep at night if my SVS PC Ultra was wired up with a freebie 'patch' chord, and I havn't got the time or the inclination to prove or disprove the value of my purchase.

However a good, properly screened sub cable does seem to reduce humm if your sub is prone to it. If it eeks out that 0.5% boost in performance and helps you sleep at night, then why not?

Just don't get too carried away.

6. caleb

caleb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have changed to the Nordost thin flat green cable (can't remember it's name) and it has made a noticeable difference.

Also now I can feed this under my carpet and don't see the bulge.

7. Amar

Amar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I borrowed some cables from Audio t last night and found the cables do make a diffrence but only subtle changes between each other. I'm going to go for a Chord cable.
    The boom was still present and is definately the placement (it's in a corner at the moment). Time to starrt moving it around to get rid of it I think. Thanks for your tips.