Do standard def and hd have different calibration settings?

For example if the brightness of some hd content was let's say 15, would standard def require a separate set of calibration?

Steve Withers

Distinguished Member
You should only need one set of calibrated settings, regardless of whether you are watching standard or high definition.

So if I calibrated my tv for movies with a hd blu ray disc and then transfer the settings for a DVD being played on a DVD player, it should stay the same?

Steve Withers

Distinguished Member
Yes it should but you could always double check using a DVD calibration disc or the THX Optimizer on a THX certified DVD.

Ok, ill try a DVD calibration disc because I think the test images on a thx movie disc are only for that particular movie.

Steve Withers

Distinguished Member
No the THX Optimizer isn't specific to the movie, they're the same on every disc and use exactly the same set of industry standards that are used to create every Blu-ray and PAL DVD.

Steve Withers

Distinguished Member
They aren't more accurate but they have a lot more test patterns, so you'll get good value out of a disc like DVE or Spears & Munsil.

I know you've already said that all movies follow the same standard and so does THX, but shouldn't both the DVE and THX optimisers have the same results on your tv, because they both have different results on mine.

Last edited:

Steve Withers

Distinguished Member
Theoretically they should be the same but if you've got the DVE disc then I'd go with the settings you get from that, the THX Optimizer is a quick way of setting Brightness and Contrast if you don't have a proper calibration disc.

KelvinS1965

Distinguished Member
So if I calibrated my tv for movies with a hd blu ray disc and then transfer the settings for a DVD being played on a DVD player, it should stay the same?

This seems to imply to me that you have two separate players. If so then you should check the calibration for both players as sometimes there is a variation in black levels for example, between machines.

Personally I find the AVS HD709 disc 'basic patterns' much easier to use than the discs I've bought (which include DVE on DVD and BluRay and Spears and Munsel). Best of all is that it's free (but for HD only so no use with a DVD player unfortunately).

No no, I was just trying to verify that if I calibrate for hd and transfer the settings to sd, will it be optimal or do I need a sd calibration disc for that.

KelvinS1965

Distinguished Member
It depends on the player, but unlikely. SD is usually authored to rec601 but when the player upscales it should convert the colours to rec709. It used to be mentioned in reviews if players failed to do this correctly (I think it tends to give a red push if wrong), but I haven't seen it mentioned for a while.

On the spears and munsils website it says that when you enter a DVD that is rec601 into an upscaling blu ray player or DVD player it should be displaying rec601 not rec709. Apparently it's industry rules.

Last edited:

Steve Withers

Distinguished Member
Rec.601 only applies to standard definition NTSC DVDs which is the TV standard in the US and Japan.

Blu-ray and high definition TV use Rec.709 and PAL standard definition TV and DVDs here in the UK use a colour space that is almost exactly the same as Rec.709.

So do you think the disc told me that because it was made in America?, I have a PAL version but it originated in America didn't it.

Well I use both DVE hd basics and spears and munsill, but I also have two movies with THX optimisers on, one is DVD the other Is blu ray.

Steve Withers

Distinguished Member
Well the S&M, DVE and THX Blu-rays all use Rec.709 and it sounds like the DVD is PAL which is almost identical, so they should all be the same. What is your equipment?

Well. I have an alba LCD32880hdf, ps3, xbox 360, wii, ps2, original xbox. My ps3 being my blu ray player. Both my ps3 and 360 are connected with a v1.4 hdmi cables. That's it.

Steve Withers

Distinguished Member
If you use your PS3 for watching Blu-rays and DVDs (which you should do because the standard definition to high definition scaling in the PS3 is very good), then I'd calibrate that input with the DVE disc. In terms of calibration, all you can really do is follow Steps 1 and 2 and then set the Brightness, Contrast and Sharpness controls using DVE. We'll be covering this very soon in Step 3.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Sky set to launch its plug-and-play Sky Stream solution
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Movies Podcast: 26th September 2022
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
AV Podcast: 26th September 2022
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
REL Acoustics announces new Serie HT subwoofer trio