Do speaker stands really make that much difference?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by TheLethalOne, Feb 5, 2014.

1. TheLethalOne

TheLethalOne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Hi,

I recently purchased some Dali Ikon 2 mk2.

As I wanted some flexibility with placement I decided to purchase some stands, I can upgrade to better stands in a few weeks if it's really a huge factor.

I ordered the Atacama Nexus 6i.

I had a look at there whole range and felt these were about as high up in the range as I was willing to spend. I would have spent a bit more, but I did not like the next up in the line, the Bamboo bottoms, just looked a bit funky, and next up was getting towards £200 - point is I could have near got the Ikon 5's if I was spending that much! lol so I made my choice as best I could - however, I feel the dealer I purchased from, was not impressed by my choice, he's a gentlemen and I trust his judgement, but I really want to get a consensus before I go to the trouble of upgrading my speaker stands next month.

I still need to save for my rear speakers! so blowing £200 on speaker stands is not a priority JUST yet.

Can I have some opinions on all this ?

MUCH appreciated.

2. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,439
    The Atacma Nexus are a good stand so I would not worry about that. I bought some for my dad a few years ago and they provide a nice solid platform for the speakers. I believe you can fill the uprights with sand or similar to add more weight and also prevent any unwanted resonance which can help overall sound quality. The idea of the stand is to provide a solid platform from which the speaker can sound its best, it's other function is to no have any resonance etc. that can affect the sound quality comng from the speakers. I would suggest that the Nexus will do these 2 functions with no issues and you will hear very little to no improvement by spending £200+ on stands. I suspect you will get more of an improvement by getting the optimum position for the speakers in your room and spending the extra money on some room treatments to prevent sound reflections etc. I really do not see the benefit of spending such large amounts of money on stands other than to give the dealer more money or to get a particular style/look of stand that will fit into your room better.

3. TheLethalOne

TheLethalOne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Very much appreciate the good reply.

4. Richy1984

Richy1984

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    I agree. The Nexus are a good solid stand for the money. I had some a while ago and filled them with Atacama atabites. Sand would do the same trick, but I went for a eatabites purely due to convinience.

5. TheLethalOne

TheLethalOne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    many thanks

6. diablo

diablo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    I have wide stands made from concrete which provide a very stable platform, which is all that is needed really.

Though the Atacamas, when filled with sand, will do the job nearly as well I reckon. :)

7. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,209
    The stands are a three column stand with two small columns and one larger column. The price is not exceptionally high, but reasonable.

Atacama Nexus 6i

It looks like the stands can be sand filled, though of course they recommend very expensive Atabites fill.
    Adding fill to the stands gives them additional mass, and can make the bass more solid.

Some say the cheapest thing is to get kiln dried play sand. This type of dry sand is available from just about any building supply store. The dry sand, if you will pardon the pun, is dirt cheap. However, the sand can be a bit dusty, and if the stands are not completely seal, fine dust can leak out. However, there are reasonably cheap alternatives, many of which are listed here in the following thread.

Quality Dry Speaker Stand FILLER - CHEAP | AVForums

Back to the stands, you need to weigh their cost in proportion to the cost of your speakers. If you speakers are £1000/pr or more, then perhaps you can justify £200/pr stands.

Your speakers are roughly £600/pr, and I would say your stands are about the right proportion. Yes, absolutely, there are better stands, but these should serve you well and seem to reasonably fit your budget.

The considerations are the number of and size of the vertical columns. You can get stand with larger more solid columns but you are going to pay considerably more for them.

Here are some alternatives under £100/pr, though I'm not sure they can all be sand filled -

Superfi - SOUNDSTYLE Z2ii SPEAKER STANDS (PAIR)

Superfi - SOUNDSTYLE Z1 SPEAKER STANDS (BLACK, PAIR)

Superfi - NORSTONE STYLUM 1 SPEAKER STANDS (PAIR)

Superfi - Q ACOUSTICS 2000 SERIES SPEAKER STANDS (PAIR)

Superfi - NORSTONE STYLUM 2 SPEAKER STANDS (PAIR)

The considerations are -

- The size and number of the vertical columns.
    - The heavier the steel, the better.
    - How solid are the base on top and bottom.
    - You don't want the stand to have any flex or wobble.

The stands come in vertical sizes. The stand you are looking at is 600mm (I believe), you can get 500mm or 700mm (from memory). Get a size that fits your needs. Generally when you are sitting down in your favorite chair, you want the tweeter roughly ear level.

Steve/bluewizard

8. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +569
    Thought I'd add my question to this thread rather than start a new one as it's a daft question but wanted peoples thoughts. Can one reasonably decent stand make your speakers sound different to another decent one? Although when I was younger I could convince myself I could hear a difference with every tiny upgrade or change, I'm now quite the opposite and in most instances don't expect or look for subtle changes and only expect to notice changes if changing amps/DACs or speaker. However I've just bought some Soundstyle Z1 stands for my GR10's to replace my sand filled Atacama se24's which I bought purely as I felt they would look better. If anything, as I hadn't sand filled them I thought it was possible things could sound a bit bass light but didn't expect to even notice it as I have a sub connected currently. However, after a days listening I feel confident the harsh/bright treble of the GR10's has been mellowed slightly....enough for me to notice without expecting it at least. Is there really any way a change of stands can be the reason? I don't see how but despite expecting nothing I swear something is different!

Anyone else ever had similar experiences?

9. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,209
    The Soundstyle Z1 appear to have 4 rectangular columns, but are those column open "C" channel, or are the closed rectangles and do you have the option to fill the columns?

Bad stands can make your speakers sound worse, though whether worse equates to Bad in unclear. However, good stands can only make your speakers sound the way they are suppose to sound. A stand can't actually Add anything.

The same is true of other aspects. For example, speaker wire (or other wire) can't ADD anything, it can only subtract less or subtract in other areas. The same is true of Stands, they can't add, they can only be neutral or subtract.

Then we add the matter of perception. It is conceivable that what you mistook for good bass was really resonant bass. And now what you take from lean bass is really just clear tight controlled bass.

Could stands make a slight difference, yes, but ARE THEY making a detrimental difference is impossible for use to say.

Steve/bluewizard

10. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,439
    Although I could be wrong I would have thought any subtle change in sound could also be due to small changes in speaker position after the change. Although you may think the speakers are in the same location they could be just a little further forward or back or toed in differently and this could change the sound you hear at your listening position.

11. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +569
    That's actually what I thought after posting this, that perhaps a slight change in positioning and possibly the fact they now sit 2 inches lower is why they appear to sound different and in this case better.

Steve, I'm not sure what you mean by open c channel but by the looks of it it might be possible to remove the top plate and fill all 4 columns with sand which I will try at a later date but I must admit I'm very happy with the sound just as they are.