Question Do speaker covers distract

George12

Are speakers covers provided for asthetics and a form of protection that distracts from obtaining the best sound

Alan Weir 1

I believe there are speaker brands that are designed to have covers on for best performance but on the whole sticking anything in front of the drivers is going to diminish the quality.
I generally use mine as I have cats and kids with inquisitive fingers but when sitting down for a serious listen whip them off. I can certainly hear the difference.

Jaded1

I rarely put mine on. Unless like said above they are designed to sound better I don't like the idea of anything blocking the sound waves.

gibbsy

Always off for music either stereo or multi channel SACD, DVD-A, etc. Usually left on for film and TV.

George12

Does anybody have experience of the difference between Dali's Zensor 3's and the Opticon 2's and if so are they worth the upgrade? I now a lot of what we like is subjective, but i feel the Zensors just don't deliver in the mid range how i like.

gibbsy

If you want good mid range then look at the KEF offerings. Mid range, especially in their three way speakers is very good indeed.

DrH

I have mine off for music listening but leave them on for films and gaming.
I have the new Kef R series which have some very nice grills made from microfibre. They look ok I think

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
Well made speakers are designed and built to compensate for any effects of the supplied covers, or will have guidelines in the manual suggesting their removal.

Orobas

Its down to your ear at the end of the day.. listen with the covers on.. listen with them off.. which ever sounds better to you .. run with that :)

password1

The sound coming from a pair of speakers should create a 3D sound stage whereby you shouldn't be able to tell where the speakers are. The speakers should 'disappear' and you should be able to place where the different instruments and singer(s) are on the 'stage' as if they are a live band in the room. Speakers should be able to give you a picture of where the sounds are and how far away they are.

Imagine someone talking to you at the same time as walking around a room. Good speakers set up properly should convey the position of the person walking.

Seeing the drivers are a distraction.

George12

The sound coming from a pair of speakers should create a 3D sound stage whereby you shouldn't be able to tell where the speakers are. The speakers should 'disappear' and you should be able to place where the different instruments and singer(s) are on the 'stage' as if they are a live band in the room. Speakers should be able to give you a picture of where the sounds are and how far away they are.

Imagine someone talking to you at the same time as walking around a room. Good speakers set up properly should convey the position of the person walking.

Seeing the drivers are a distraction.

While i agree with what you say, with certain recordings i get this effect more than others. What i fail to understand is that music is recorded in stereo to give a left and right otherwise wouldn't it be mono if both speakers were producing the same sound to give a 3D effect or am i missing something here

Orobas

While i agree with what you say, with certain recordings i get this effect more than others. What i fail to understand is that music is recorded in stereo to give a left and right otherwise wouldn't it be mono if both speakers were producing the same sound to give a 3D effect or am i missing something here
You're looking too deep into this with the level of equipment you have. All you are looking for from your hifi setup is a sound that is pleasing to you .. not too focused.. and plays what you like :)

If the speaker sounds better with covers on.. leave em on.. if they sound better off .. leave them off.. if they sound better on but look better off.. then flip a coin :)

Slight positioning and moving of speakers to get that stereo sweetspot if you have a fixed listening area... is about all that you need to worry about.

The speakers are placed in a fashion that you are smack bang in the middle of them .. with a slight toe in/out to adjust.. you are looking for the treble/bass to cross your seated position at the same point :)

Slinkywizard

Have tried both on and off and I cannot hear the difference. That may be my not-particularly-refined ear of course. But all things considered the speakers look so much better aesthetically with them on, I choose on.

password1

Have tried both on and off and I cannot hear the difference. That may be my not-particularly-refined ear of course. But all things considered the speakers look so much better aesthetically with them on, I choose on.
Which speakers do you have?

Slinkywizard

George12

You're looking too deep into this with the level of equipment you have. All you are looking for from your hifi setup is a sound that is pleasing to you .. not too focused.. and plays what you like :)

If the speaker sounds better with covers on.. leave em on.. if they sound better off .. leave them off.. if they sound better on but look better off.. then flip a coin :)

Slight positioning and moving of speakers to get that stereo sweetspot if you have a fixed listening area... is about all that you need to worry about.

The speakers are placed in a fashion that you are smack bang in the middle of them .. with a slight toe in/out to adjust.. you are looking for the treble/bass to cross your seated position at the same point :)
As far as source amplification goes, do you think that the Dali Opticon 2's are suited to the Marantz PM7200 i have?

Michael Bayleaf

I was never able to hear the difference with my old BW 702 S2’s but preferred the look with out them on

Gregsta

I have a pair of Fyne Audio F302 and they look far better with out the covers on, really never been a fan of having the covers on

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Large Screen HDR TV or Projector For Home Cinema + Best of the Month
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom