Do sony have thier finger in too many pies ?

Discussion in 'Playstation - PS4 & Vita' started by shoestring25, Oct 30, 2017.

Tags:

1. shoestring25

shoestring25

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +460
      sony seem to be devoting lots of time and money to making psvr games. it seems odd to me to devote so much time and resources to such a a small amount of your user base. rather than making games for the 1m psvr owners wouldnt they be better making thier games for the 60m+ ps4 owners.

sorry to annoy psvr owners while I think VR is great, i think sony got in too early thinking it was going to be bigger than it is.

the other thing is playlink why? i dont think anyone was asking for this. A very small amount of people want to play games with other people in front of the tele on their phone.

i think the money and resources would be better spent making games for the larger part of their user base

2. Cha1ky

Cha1ky
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +24,484
      What games aren't you getting because they are making VR games?

3. Toasty

Toasty
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,954
      Maybe if there was a lack of big first party games, that would be more a valid point, but seeing what we've had this year and whats coming next year I don't think so.

VR I'll admit is not for me, but a 1m install base shouldn't be ignored and it was good to see another batch of games announced for it. I've also seen they've started a new wave of promotions for VR too, so they're investing in the platform and it may grow a bit more, it certainly won't hurt selling software for the platform now developers have got to grips with it.

Playlink cannot be that big an investment surely? It's basically a bit of software that turns your phone into a controller. There will always be a market for silly party games and this adds to the fun. Quite enjoyed That's You playing with family and friends, yeah, its disposable, but raised a laugh. I also think it will be good for story / film based games, I'd like to see one done where everyone playing gets to vote on the decisions you make in something like a Tell Tale game.

It's not a bad thing giving developers more toys to play with imho..

4. Stinja

Stinja
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,991
      Companies do some things as loss-leaders, other things to gain a future advantage. As long as these side projects don't make a big loss, they're deemed worth doing (and often losses can be written off as tax breaks).

Microsoft, Google, Apple have huge R&D divisions. Don't you think it's odd Google doing driverless cars? Microsoft HoloLens? Apple earphones? Well away from original core products.

PSVR is probably to get an advantage on "the next big thing", so even if it's only breaking even, it's not like it hurts the company.

5. FlagshipDevice

FlagshipDevice

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +822
      I’ll soon have PSVR as my missus loves it, having tried one recently. I do think Sony went too soon with VR, neither the PS4 or their VR tech, at that price, are quite up to it yet. But that’ll change. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but I think Sony maybe should’ve waited until PS5 and had a PSVR with either no wires or far less wires. Then again, a 1m user base isn’t to be sniffed at and Sony will learn much from it for future reference.

I’m inclined to think the whole PSVR thing was an experiment on Sony’s behalf, to see what peoples’ potential interest in VR would be. Sony aren’t daft - they knew that the PS4 wasn’t quite up to the task. They were also well aware their PSVR was far from perfect. But the fact it’s sold over a million units will likely spur them on for a much improved PSVR backed up by the power of PS5, in time to come. Sometimes you have to spend money to gauge what the potential market may be, for future reference.

6. liquidsoap89

liquidsoap89

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +34
      "rather than making games for the 1m psvr owners wouldnt they be better making thier games for the 60m+ ps4 owners."
      To me, this is what Microsoft tries to accomplish, and it's the reason I sold my XBone after less than a year. Outside of their 3 exclusive series, very little attention seems to be given to anything else.

With the PSVR, if Sony doesn't make content for it, the hardware will fade away. Who's going to buy a headset if there's no games to play on it? It's a situation where they need to take a loss initially in the hopes that it will take off in the future.

As for the playlink... I think it's a neat idea. I'd argue that one of the reasons couch co-op isn't a standard among my circle of friends is simply because it hasn't existed for such a long time. Growing up there was always a crowd around the TV playing the N64, and I think things like playlink are a great way of reintroducing that idea (and in Hidden Agenda's case, without needing to lower the visual quality to allow for split-screen).

We should be encouraging this-out-of-the-box style of development. I know it's the reason I've always bought Sony's consoles. We're basically guaranteed to be given a huge variety of content throughout the console's lifespan.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • List
    7. zt1903

zt1903
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,364
      No they don’t have fingers in too many pies, this is what companies who invest in their first party studios deliver.

8. shoestring25

shoestring25

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +460
      ok guess its just me. i just think playlink and psvr are another sony thing that wont be around anymore in a few years time

9. Stinja

Stinja
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,991
      Which, as said, doesn't matter in the scheme of things.

Remember Google Glass? Big launch, fanfare, "new big thing", got supported for a bit, then dropped off. They were testing the waters, developing tech and software, and it's nowhere now (although the enterprise version is being relaunched), and it doesn't matter that it's died.

It was worthwhile doing from their point of view.

Google Glass How-to: Getting Started

10. zt1903

zt1903
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,364
      Playlink is an attempt to bring mobile and console gaming together in a fairly novel and potentially fun way. It may or may not work but I don't think it's a particularly massive piece of R&D, it's the sort of thing that gaming companies should be trying on a continuous basis, experimenting to find stuff that works.

If the games are successful, and I really like the look of Hidden Agenda, then I can see it having a lot of mileage.

PSVR is something else entirely. VR has been around for a while but this is the first generation of commercially viable VR technology and it is doing really well so far. In the region of a couple of million units sold in the first year and plenty of software support. This tech will be around for a while and there will be further iterations of it.

If you haven't tried it yet you really should.

11. zt1903

zt1903
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,364
      Like Hidden Agenda and Erica perhaps?

12. Toasty

Toasty
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,954
      I couldn't tell from the interview if Erica allowed multiple players or not, seemed perfect for it, but the way he talked was as if one person was controlling the decisions, but yes, that type of game could bring multiple people into the story, which would be great.

13. shoestring25

shoestring25

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +460
      i would like to play erica and hidden agendas but i would rather play them by myself than try and arrange a date to get people over to play them.

I also would like to play inpatient but i dont want to buy vr

14. Cha1ky

Cha1ky
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +24,484
      I would like to play Mario and Zelda but I'm not buying a Switch.........

I'm sure Hidden Agenda and Erika will be playable solo too. Will say in the store page how many players.

15. shoestring25

shoestring25

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +460
      why couldnt they make inpatient so it plays in vr and normally like resident evil 7 did that way they would sell more copies

16. zt1903

zt1903
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,364
      Hidden Agenda is 1-6 players so can be played solo.

17. shoestring25

shoestring25

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +460
      cool cheers

18. Cha1ky

Cha1ky
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +24,484
      Because perhaps the game just wont work anywhere near as well as a non VR game? the budget they have for creating this VR experience doesn't cover creating both?

It is what it is. You want a VR game you need a VR. Similarly, people who have VR will say 'why can't Elite be a PSVR game etc. It just is what it is. YOu want it, then buy a VR if not then enjoy something you can have instead.

19. Cha1ky

Cha1ky
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +24,484
      ;)

20. Winnie1221

Winnie1221

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +184
      Just bought a PSVR for the kids for Christmas (off the Classified section).

Gave it a quick blast of some of the demos and was impressed tbh, and as I said, these were just 'demo' games. Also bought the 'Aim' controller which is supposed to work excellently for FPS'. I'm running it on a PS4 Pro as I know this does help with the frame rate over a 'standard' PS4.
      It was great to see just how many games are in the pipeline for PSVR - keep it up Sony.

I also agree with liquidsoap - Sony, who aren't perfect, have their console support spot on and that's why they will, for me, always outsell whatever Xbox is out. I'm sure the Xbox 1 x x 1 x or whatever it's called, is an excellent machine (I am tempted), but there just isn't enough good exclusives to make me buy one, where Sony on the other hand have plenty of top notch exclusives...

21. Stinja

Stinja
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,991
      Sony confirms they like (VR) pies, finger fully inserted:

Paris Games Week | PlayStation's Jim Ryan on controversial trailers, VR and healthy competition

22. Toasty

Toasty
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,954
      Now they're adding PSVR games to PS+, anyone adding them to their instant game collection will have more incentive to get one in the future if they haven't already. That said, I'd been doing that with Vita games and haven't got a Vita .. yet .. maybe one day :D (I guess that would have to be a second hand vita nowadays?)