Do smart TVs need a freeview signal to work?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by alanterrill, Oct 24, 2017.

1. alanterrill

alanterrill
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +0
      I've just bought a Toshiba 24W3753DB smart TV with the specific need to watch iplayer, All4 etc without having to plug my tablet into the TV as I did with my old TV. I can't get any of these services to work despite having a direct internet connection plugged in to the TV. I've phoned Toshiba and they say I can't get these channels unless I have a direct aerial connection plugged into the Tv and can receive freeview. Now I live in a country area and long ago got a satellite dish and freesat box as there was little or no analogue or digital signal available. So even though I've now plugged the old aerial back in and done a scan , there are no channels detected. Is this requirement specific to Toshiba, or would I fail to get catch up channels on any make of smart TV? I've only bought it today, so could maybe swap it for another make .

2. spinaltap

spinaltap

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +860
      All catch-up services require a broadband connection (not via your aerial).

On the network settings page of your television, you should search for your network/broadband connection. Once you've entered your router's log-on details you should be good to go.

3. alanterrill

alanterrill
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +0
      No this isn't the issue - I can pickup Google adn watch youtube on the TV so the network connection isn't the issue. If I click on say iplayer on the smart tv menu is says 'your aerial must be plugged in and channels selected'. I can receive all the Tv channels through my freesat box, just not the catch up channels.

4. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,281
      It's a quirk of Vestel's software so as well as the TVs they sell under the branding licensed from Toshiba it can affect TVs they made for other retailers and brands are well. JVC, Finlux, Hitatchi, Celcius and Polaroid would be some of the more common brands you find their TVs sold under, but there are many more.

5. spinaltap

spinaltap

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +860
      What Freesat box do you have? Does it facilitate catch-up channels? It would seem you’re watching Freesat channels through your Toshiba. If so, it would exclude the Freeview catch-up channels. In this situation, your Freesat box requires a network connection (and integral catch-up abilities).

6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,049
      There's no such thing as Freesat catch up channels or Freeview either. The main free catch up channels BBC iplayer, ITV-Hub, 4-OD and My 5 are available on many platforms. They are internet delivered via your broadband connection. 2nd generation Freesat boxes have them all as do Youview and Freeview Play boxes and PC's and mobile devices and many smart TV's. The catch up services have different degrees of integration dependent on the device. For example 2nd generation Freesat + boxes (Humax are the only maker) have a backwards epg and the capability to view a current BBC programme that had already started by selecting it in the epg and choosing the view from the beginning option, This of course selects the internet (IP) delivered source.

My TV has both Freesat and Freeview tuners, but only 1 app for each of the free catch up services.

It stands to reason if your box/TV/mobile device/PC/Firestick etc is not connected to your router then of course it won't work.

That doesn't mean on a Freesat box or a Freeview box they will work without a dish or a aerial, for instance on a Freesat smart box they require access to Freesat servers that you can't make without both a satellite and internet connection.

A smartphone/tablet connected to your WiFi and running say BBC i player can display iplayer on a TV either directly or more conveniently by casting to a cheap device plugged into your TV like a Google Chromecast,

Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
    7. spinaltap

spinaltap

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +860
      Pedantic as ever.

8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,049
      Being accurate is not being pedantic. On the other hand posting totally misleading information helps no one. :eek:

You completely failed to check what freesat box the OP uses. The first generation ones that did have BBCi player and ITV Player stopped working a while ago. Asking a poster to connect one of these to the internet would be a waste of time.

BBC iPlayer Help - BBC iPlayer closure on some older TV devices – Autumn 2016

9. spinaltap

spinaltap

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +860
      Did I?

10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,049
      You told the poster he needed to connect to the internet without even knowing the answer.

11. Loopthrough

Loopthrough

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +512
      I believe what's happening is a requirement of Freeview Play, which the TV has.

For example, on a Panasonic smart TV with Freeview Play, only BBC iPlayer and Demand 5 work with just a Wi-Fi/Ethernet connection but the other catch up apps require the Freeview channels to be tuned in to work (is it as authentication or because some of the data is delivered through the EPG or just because it works better from a usability point of view with the scroll back EPG? I don't know. Maybe someone else can answer that.)

12. Essoman

Essoman

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +583
      Like you I live in the wilds and have no aerial connection, use Sky Q, but with my Sony 75XD9405 iPlayer and all other apps work fine with just the broadband connection.

13. Khazul

Khazul

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +500
      I wonder if this is some new nonsense to ensure that you can only use the catch up apps on that TV if you are already in a broadcast area for those channels - ie to stop use outside of broadcast regions to comply with BBC content distribution restrictions (due to TV license racket).

I think iPlayer app for eg have (or used to have) IP address checking on their servers and refused to serve content outside of the UK unless you are signed in (to allow armed forces personnel abroad to still watch for eg).

14. AndyRg4

AndyRg4

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +81
      This is incorrect. Only the BBC iPlayer catch up app works without an aerial connection. All others need the TV to have been tuned into at one channel, then the other catch up apps work.
      Maybe you are using the catch up apps via the Sky Q box, in which case the TV is merely a display, the Sky Q box is handling the apps

15. AndyRg4

AndyRg4

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +81
      All TVs have to have scanned in at least one channel to access catch up apps other than the BBC iPlayer. You do t need a permanent aerial connection. Maybe if you live in an area with no signal you could take the TV to the store where you bought it (or a friend or family member) just to tune the TV in. You could then take it back home and access the said apps, even if you no longer have an aerial connected

16. alanterrill

alanterrill
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +0
      Thanks -I think this is the correct answer. I checked the freeview site to see if I was supposed to get coverage (as I hadn't checked in around 10 years when there was none), and it said that I should get around 50 channels. So I went and bought an amplified indoor aerial and scanned for channels and it came up with 44 of the. No BBC channels, just ITV and channel 4 and other related ones. But when i then went to the catch up channels they all worked, even the iplayer one which didn't before. Unfortunately it only worked for 2 days and last night it failed again -a rescan showed no channels at all, so I'm returning the aerial today. For those that asked about my freesat box, its a Humax Foxsat HD, around 10 years old, and it does not have an internet connection. It still works fine although it's always had a channel 900 called 'on-demand' which has never worked before, and now I've got an internet connected TV, I tried again but it still shows nothing. The message says "you must connect your box or TV for the internet for this to work". Likewise for channel 903 ITV hub. So I'm mystified as to how these are supposed to work.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
    17. alanterrill

alanterrill
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +0
      Oddly enough mine wouldn't even show BBC iplayer without an aerial, but it did after I'd connected an aerial even though no BBC channles were found after a channel scan.