Do Smart cars irritate you?

D

Dr Diversity

I find them a bit pointless - even as a driver of a small car myself. I think that they are jumping on the designer bandwagon and probably have a place for an apple laptop and very little else in the boot space.

I appreciate the need to have economical cars but this one just seems pointlessly small. You can barely carry enough luggage for a weekend away never mind your annual fortnight holiday. I know that you don't buy a car for just that but vehicles need to be multi-purpose these days.

They scare me- could you imagine driving one of these things and being involved in a serious road accident... i would fancy my chances thats for sure! :thumbsdow

They are actually quite good in an accident. Very strong safety cage which will leave you better off than most Superminis. Unfortunately both the little Smarts have a crappy semi-automatic gearbox which "drives" me crackers! :mad:

Both are also naff because they are trying too hard to be cool/different. :rolleyes:

they're quite expensive for what you get....I saw some down in bristol asome years back and they were about 8k!!

relpace the "t" in "Smart" with an "m" and you get a better name for one of these hideous little oddities!

Nobber22 said:
They are actually quite good in an accident. Very strong safety cage
The only problem is there's no space for a crumple zone. All the force of the accident gets to the driver.

The smart car I'd consider driving is the Smart Roadster-Coupe. Something that small and light looks fun!

my wife wanted and got one of these monstroseties. they are horribale to drive. uncomfortable, noisy, lacking finesse. just yuck. I really hate driving it.

no i dont mind them - but i love the fact that they wind Clarkson up!

Gary

I dont mind them, take up much less room than these housewives that drive 4x4 around for no reason

CrispyXUK said:
I dont mind them, take up much less room than these housewives that drive 4x4 around for no reason

Yes, but you cant fit 3 screaming kids, the dog and a weeks shopping in a spaz chariot, Imean Smart Car....

roversd1 said:
Yes, but you cant fit 3 screaming kids, the dog and a weeks shopping in a spaz chariot, Imean Smart Car....

no, but not everybody who has a 4X4 has 3 kids and a dog.....

roversd1 said:

Exactly.

and most of these people who drive 4x4s are nowhere near a place visit that would require you have a 4x4 , I doubt any would intend to either

but thats not the point, as a parent you would want your kids safe in a nice big box rather than a dinky wee box.

The fact that they are 4x4 is irrelevent to most buyers, people want to feel safe and most of the big 4x4 do this.

Also bear in mind that most modern 4x4 take up less space than a Golf or Passat sized car.

The smart still sucks (just to on topic!)

roversd1 said:
but thats not the point, as a parent you would want your kids safe in a nice big box rather than a dinky wee box.

The fact that they are 4x4 is irrelevent to most buyers, people want to feel safe and most of the big 4x4 do this.

Also bear in mind that most modern 4x4 take up less space than a Golf or Passat sized car.

The smart still sucks (just to on topic!)

yeah, my fiat feels as safe as a go kart... :rolleyes:

Well, i like 'em so sod the lot of you!! :D

And i like the roadster even more! :smashin:

eviljohn2 said:
I'm always worried that the ones that I see on motorways are just going to spin out of control and explode like on TV. :eek:

Thats only Ford Explorers, they all already done the exploding bit which is why you dont see many left on the roads....

la gran siete said:
Rather like them myself . VEry good as a second vehicle I would have thought

God, NO - LGS and i agree on a car - AAAAAAAAAAAARRRRGHHHH!! :eek: :D :D :rotfl: :rotfl:

Well I have had two of them..........a mark 4 and a mark 6 . Difficult to drive because of the stability program , gearbox nasty and very slow . No poke to overtake anything , excellent use of space and superficialy well screwed together............But both of mine dumped engines all over the road because of cracked turbo manifold castings . Its known fault, loads of them do it. Mercedes replaced both as good will replacements but it destroys any sense of reliability you might have. The engine is a derivative of an italian pump engine and sounds like it most of the time. Expensive to buy and expensive to service. A novelty with not much practical value.........My ex wife loved them which is why we had 2 of the bloody things...........The roadster is worse.........

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom