do SKY track old customers?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by sirp, Jul 31, 2005.

1. sirp

sirp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    i know sky say customers who in the past have signed up for the 12 month agreement and get equipment free cannot do it again..but do people do this?

im moving house soon and wonder if people sign up as a new customer under their partners name.

i know it says household, but do they actually check and prevent people doing this?

as i think it sucks that new customers get better deals :)

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Only if you pay under a different name, address and bank account number, can you qualify as a new customer. If you have a joint account, they may rumble you.

3. Roger G Cam

Roger G Cam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    BskyB contribute to a database shared by lots of companies whose Customers may try to avoid paying outstanding debts. These are mainly credit card companies.

When you move house you tell one company about the move and they add it to the database with a link to your previous address. That means that Sky can look your partner up and see that they previously lived at an address which had the Sky offer.

They can probably also look at data that tells them that you are living there too.

Why don't you just pay the £40 moving house fee?

Roger

4. sirp

sirp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    i want to go sky plus and multiroom, my equipment is like 7 yrs old now..you get free stuff as new

regarding checking change of address, if you are talking about credit check database ( i work on it) it takes a wee while for change of address to register..so im thinking that they wont check once you have subscribed, therefore not seeing the linked address...companies only tend to check stuff when you take a contract out, not 3 months later

obviously i am not 100 percent sure, just wanted to know if anyone had actually done it

im just annoyed like most people, that after 7 years of sky, if i go sky multiroom, i dont get two new box's!

5. Roger G Cam

Roger G Cam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You keep your existing box - true - and then have to pay £10 more than a new Customer. £99.

How could they! I'd cancel.

If you are about to do this - hold off for a few days - sounds like they are just about to upgrade the standard box they issue and you could get caught with the old one. The new one should have a 80GB HD.

Roger

6. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302
    Once upon a time you were that new customer, you've already had the subsidy so it's not as though you are being done out of anything.

7. sirp

sirp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    ive never had sky+ or sky multiroom, that's two products im new too :)

if new customers now get two free sky box's im entitled to at least one new one :)

8. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,369
    I'm in the same position. I want Sky + but when I ring up I can't have it at the deal price as i've had Sky Digital before. Looks like i'm staying with NTL then which means that they don't get my custom - seems a bit daft really as i'd have thought that they would want to get customers from cable companies.

It's like when you get a mobile phone, you can just switch to the company who's giving the best deal after your 12 month contract expires and get a free phone to boot! Either that or your existing provider will match the deal and phone to keep you. TV providers should be the same IMO as if Sky + is still the best thing in 12 months then I will have no reason to move. It's not like you would just change companies each year for the fun of it.