Do Sky still require phone lines connected to Sky boxes for multiroom?

Johnmcl7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been having a dig through the forum but I've not found any recent topics on this which is not surprising given the age of the boxes. I have a Sky HD 1TB box and a really old basic Sky box in another room which are both connected to phone lines and I remember a long time ago getting nasty letters from Sky when either of them were disconnected.

I found a topic on here back in 2015 which says Sky don't care about them any more but would appreciate if any one can give a definite answer on that.

Thanks.

Mine were never connected. You can safely disconnect them!

The phone lines are no longer needed...it used to be used for sky box office and updates...now you you would use your Internet connection.

The phone lines are no longer needed...it used to be used for sky box office and updates...now you you would use your Internet connection.
Updates have always been sent over satellite.
The phone line/internet connection was used for box office and interactive services (viewing bill, etc).

Mine has never been connected to a phone line. Sky will use the Internet to update. So you should be fine to disconnect it.

Mine has never been connected to a phone line. Sky will use the Internet to update. So you should be fine to disconnect it.
They don't update over the internet - it's broadcast by satellite.

The phone line was also used to verify all the sky boxes were connected within the same house, on a couple of occasions I didn't notice the cable had come loose and received a warning letter from Sky to get the phone line connected or we'd have to pay more.

One of the Sky boxes has a network connection which is in use but the other one is so old there's no network connection on it.

Just be sure to read the T&Cs because saying "noiseboy72 on the interweb said I didnt need to' isn't going to cut it if the do charge you twice ;)

I’m sure it’s become a non-issue since boxes became network connected and don’t rely on just satellite or the phone line.

I haven’t had my Sky box connected to a phone line since 2009. I don’t even have a phone line any more.

Just be sure to read the T&Cs because saying "noiseboy72 on the interweb said I didnt need to' isn't going to cut it if the do charge you twice ;)
True enough, but when the Sky bloke installed our boxes back in 2014 he didn't connect either of them to the phone lines.

True enough, but when the Sky bloke installed our boxes back in 2014 he didn't connect either of them to the phone lines.
The last versions of the Sky+HD boxes didn't even have telephone connections

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom