Do sky still expect boxes to be connected to a telephone line

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by YNWA1892, Feb 18, 2013.

1. YNWA1892

YNWA1892

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,229
    I currently have multi-room which is in the kids room but they only watch the kids shows (mainly Disney), therefore the sports and movies are wasted as they are not watched.

I wanted to know if I allowed my father in law to use my box with sports and movies and we then used his which doesn't have sports would I end up being fined?

I wouldn't connect either to the phone line but expect they'd probably complain, although in my last house we never connected either of the boxes to the phone line for over 3 years and never once had a letter or fine.

He had sports for years but cannot now afford the high monthly fees and they don't offer him any discounts so hasn't got anymore but I know he would enjoy the sports if he had them.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  2. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Yes, both multiroom boxes must be permanently connected to the same telephone line.

There's no "fine" involved, but you could be charged two subscriptions.

In practice it would appear that they usually issue a warning first, but don't rely on it!

3. YNWA1892

YNWA1892

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,229
    Thanks for the reply.

I thought it wouldn't be ok to do but find it odd I had none of my boxes connected at my last house for over 3 years and never once had any contact from sky.

Now I want to help out my father in law it'd be sods law they'd contact me within the month and try and charge me double subscription.

4. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Yes, you managed to slip through the net, but don't push your luck! :)

Just a thought, but any chance the family could club together for his birthday?

5. YNWA1892

YNWA1892

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,229
    I might look into seeing if I can get him a discount or maybe like you say everyone putting a bit in for his birthday :).

My mother in law has had a couple of strokes over the past year and is currently in hospital so he's on his own at the moment so would be nice for him to have the sports as he misses the football and rugby :).

6. magoo1

magoo1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    If its just the sport you want then how about Sky Go? Buy him an iPad and use your account log in/password and he's good to go... assuming he has a broadband account that is!
    :smashin:

7. YNWA1892

YNWA1892

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,229
    Yeh it is just the sport, I might give Sky a call and see what they can offer.

No broadband unfortunately otherwise that'd be a great idea regarding an iPad.

8. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,788
    Fines are imposed by courts of law in respect of criminal offences. They have nothing to do with Sky subscriptions.
    http://www.sky.com/shop/terms-conditions/tv/
    6. Each Multiroom Subscription must only be viewed at the same Address as your first subscription. At all times while any Multiroom Subscription is in place:
    (a) the Box used to receive the Service under your first subscription must be connected to a fixed and operational telephone line capable of making outgoing calls
    (b) all the Boxes used to receive your Multiroom Subscription(s) must also be connected to this line and number
    (c) you must give us the details of the telephone line used for this purpose and must allow us to collect information through this line, including your telephone number. You must tell us immediately if the line or number changes for any reason

9. winston2010

winston2010

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +200
    You would however be committing fraud, so in theory you could get a criminal record.

10. BIONIC MAN

BIONIC MAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Had my Sky HD installed with no phone line connected :D

11. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,788
    If it was a new installation by Sky their employee broke his terms of employment.