1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do Sky owe me a digibox after 2 years?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by pinter75, Aug 28, 2004.

1. pinter75

pinter75
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Howdy.

I have been a Sky subscriber since 2002. Apparently I have a subsedised contract, but Sky did not do the install (refunded the money after they said they can't do the install) and did not give me a digibox/dish. I had to source my own digibox and mini dish.

Now seeing the new deals for Sky+ - new customers get a box/dish for £99 as it is subsidised. Well after being put through to people who rather than help - give me another number to call - what the deal?

As I have paid my dues since '02 and never actually had any gear from Sky - Do they owe me a digibox and minidish? I would like to have the new customer deal, but as their computers tell them I am an existing customer they keep telling me it is £149 bla bla bla.

It is like having a mobile phone contract but them refusing to give you a phone, so you have to source your own!

Cheers :beer:

2. pinter75

pinter75
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok as they refunded the installation cost, and didn't do the install. I didn't qualify for the digibox/minidish.

So as I am an existing customer who has not got any gear from Sky, Why won't they let me have a Sky+ box at the same price as new customers (subsidised)?

Also when they say that if you cancel your existing account, then come back as a "New" customer you still son't get the deal. I don't understand how they can get away with that - is it legal? If you cancel you are no longer an existing customer. After 12months you have completed your initial contact anyway.

I feel *Owned* by Sky :-(

3. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it is harsh but they want new subscribers. That is far more important to them than people upgrading to sky+.

I think what sky are doing is legal but unfair on loyal subscribers.

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    You have certainly not received a subsidised install as you had to buy and install your own hardware so that means you can still get a subsidised standard installation with a free SKY digibox.
    SKY+ of course is not standard which I imagine is a reason why they won't allow you the cheaper deal, being on the books as a subscriber doesn't help either and would certainly confuse a CS rep:)

5. Emm

Emm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    pinter75,

You could source your $ky+ kit from outside the $ky empire.

There are a handfull of places that will sell them, one of which is The Satellite Centre (Unfortunately it looks as though they've dropped the free delivery from here now...).

OK, you're looking at around the £200 mark, but (I think) as an existing customer you'd be stumping up something like £149 for the box plus an 'install' fee of £60 anyway.

Providing that you're able to run the extra cable for the '+' feature and you can swap out the original dish LNB for the $ky+ one (supplied with the +box), you're away. Just a call required to activate your card for the '+' features.

The added bonus here is that you don't have to have your box connected to the 'phone line (if you don't want to).

Regards,

Emm.

(Apologies if I've outlined what you already know....)

6. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i thought sky were offering sky+ for £99 as part of the multiroom deal as well as for new subscribers

7. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    To qualify for the subsidised deal you must not have recieved a subsidy in the past. Go back and emphasise that no one at your address has received the subsidy and you wish to take up thier current offer.

8. pinter75

pinter75
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :clap: :smashin: :thumbsup:

After a lot of persuading - I got a Sky+ box for £99, free installation. A new digibox and a new minidish. :D

I had to take out the multiroom deal - but that is fine by me!

Just one question - I guess for multiroom & Sky+, that is 3 cable runs from the quad LNB - Just checking before I drill a 3rd hole.

9. Emm

Emm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2

Excellent news - I'm pleased for you!

I too had wranglings over my new subscription: £149 for Sky+ & multiroom. A couple of days later the £99 deal for the same arrangement appeared on their site (my system is yet to be installed...) - I was not happy.

Half an hour on the 'phone (at supervisor level) got me a £50 credit on my account, so as you've experienced, it's worth persevering.

To answer your last paragraph - yes, you will require a total of three cable runs for a Sky+ box and a 'bog standard' one.

:cool:

10. pinter75

pinter75
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I spent 31 mins on the phone - Funny that. Maybe there is a magic 29.59 minutes before you get what you deserve. :smashin: