do sky know what's on?

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by manny, Mar 9, 2006.

1. manny

manny
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    just watched Stargate Atlantis off sky+, several minutes from the end sky decide it's of vital importance to cut the programme's sound and squash the picture over to one side to tell us what's on next! can we not press the little button on our remote? i could excuse a cockup like that once, but it's at least the third time i've seen this happen, blocking out parts of shows to trailer later shows. this is even worse than the new dogs that pop up after ad breaks, covering a good eighth of the screen (more than it sounds). why do they bother with an epg at all when they are so determined to shout at us about what's on next?
    yes, i'm p****d at sky...:mad:

2. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,270
    I'm wondering if they do it deliberately to ruin your recording so that you are more tempted to buy the DVD rather than record your own DVD :(

3. badkarma

badkarma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +237
    Manny,

Nearly hit the roof last night when it happened, it was a good ep too.

4. Toasty

Toasty
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,533
    ITV3 & 4 annoy me too. I'm watching something and suddenly a banner scrolls over the top telling me whats next. Now its more subtle than the Sky channel squash you mention above, but it happens a couple of minutes from the end of the show. Its like a call at your local pub to start drinking up please! This is most annoying with films as its early enough to not realise the film is about to end, so when the banner comes you quickly realise the film is winding down, pants! :mad:

5. maverick177uk

maverick177uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,487
    :mad: Was just about to post the same thing, these guys really take the p**s.

6. Razor

Razor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,503

I think you are right John, I have thought this for a long time.

7. User101

User101
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's more than likely a mistake - that sounds like what happens when they do this during the end credits. Some fool probably pressed the wrong button early.

This episode is repeated on Saturday evening - so you could record it again - hopefully without this interruption (if you are archiving to dvd).

I agree - the logos that appear are very irritating - Living TV are also sods for this.

8. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Yes it totally ruined last nights episode at a great moment too. I was not a happy bunny :thumbsdow

9. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +346
    The thing is, is that not enough people complain about this sort of thing and the blooming on screen logos in the corner. And even when they do, its not taken seriously enough. There is absolutly no reason for any of this type of thing at all.

I also hate the fact that as soon as credits start to roll there is some idiot of an anoucer making coments and tell you what is on. It just spoils the whole viewing experince for me!!!!! Especailly when they actually think they are funny:nono: :nono: :nono:

10. Toasty

Toasty
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,533
    Indeed! The guy on paramount needs to realise this and the quicker the better!

11. lovemunkey187

lovemunkey187

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Where is the place to complain, to sky and other channels for such niggles?

CH4 and 5 have been doing this for years, it really pisses me off when they do it over the end credits of films, where you've spent the duration of the film try to convince whoever you're watching the film with/remember who a certain actor is. the credits roll the screen squishes the cast list and 2/3 of the screen is taken up telling you that Celebrity Big Brother I'm A ****-wit On Ice Dancing Out Of Here, is on next.

like I give flying pork scratching:mad: :mad:

12. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Phone and complain all of you. Every time they do it phone and complain!

13. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975

Of course it was a mistake:)
    SKY are tight fisted gits and use automated playout systems which merge trailers into the main feed at pre-programmed times.
    Someone screwed up and entered the wrong numbers, it happens every now and again.

Atlantis is also repeated Firday night on SKY2.

14. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +346
  15. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,354
    Just to mention (on the subject of logos), that the 'abc' channel in the states, use a very subtle logo - smallish, semi-transparent, and placed in the bottom right-hand corner (IN the corner of a widescreen broadcast), which looks a lot less obtrusive than the skyone effort. So, even stateside, there are beacons of hope, for calming it all down a little. I just wish sky would take note of this and follow suit.

16. Blighty_Boy

Blighty_Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I timer record SG because im working, I could'nt help but notice that it also started a couple of mins late, I got the end credits of the simpsons and then the adverts too, normaly it starts recording in the "SKy's own" advert that runs just before the program starts !!!

17. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975

While being dead against idents if push came to shove the US option of a logo in a bottom corner is far less annoying, little risk of a logo overlapping an actors face.

Of course as with the UK there are many types of logo.
    The 4 big networks seem to be reasonably viewer friendly where as the old WB and cable/sat only channels tend to go way over the top especially with animated banners.

18. Member 55145

Member 55145
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,483
    ha ha, its all just BS really isnt it?

we know why they do it. its to keep people watching the channel, and the majority of people will switch over before the credits finish. because of this they started doing this right at the begining of the credits. seems on this case they made a FU.

all this logo's (big ones, bright ones, ones in the 4:3 part of the screen) tickers, adverts at end and even during programs (*cough* itv) has actually had a good effect on me. i watch less and less tv nowadays due to all this crap and find other things to do.

it makes my imminant move from DTV over to skyHD very bitter. esspecially with all the red dot crap.

il tell you one thing tho. if i see ANY HDTV channel with a DOG in the 4:3 area on the screen, i will hit the roof and send sky packing. hell i may do it anyway if the dogs are even in the corner.

people really need to start complaining on a regular basis about this stuff.