• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Do Sky cap torrent speeds?

Pavey

My net browsing, ftp'ing all work fine with Sky.

I'm on a 16 meg service, and getting about 11 down. However, my torrent speeds rarely go over 50k's now, when i started with Sky i got over 500 at one point.

I'm learning Italian, and it takes an age to get the next installment of my course. Does anyone have any knowledge that Sky cap torrents speeds/particular ports?

I have forwarded port 9090 (the one Transmission uses), but still no better results.

avinitski

Have you considered other factors like how many seeds\peers the torrent has?

Also make sure the torrent is not chocking your bandwidth by using all your upload speed which does affect your download speed when using ADSL.

craigyl

you could try using utorrent, this has an option to encrypt the transmission and its pretty successful if your ISP is throttling your bandwidth. It also happens to be a pretty decent piece of software

RandomLee

Distinguished Member
I am also on the 16MB Max package and Speedtest.net reports my down speed as 12689 kb/s

On a private torrent site I use I've been getting an average of about 550 - 600, with it occassionally going over 900.

I have only had it since last week however so havent downloaded much, but it seems good so far.

I havent forwarded any ports either. Should I?

I also use uTorrent and limit the upload to 25.

Pavey

you could try using utorrent, this has an option to encrypt the transmission and its pretty successful if your ISP is throttling your bandwidth. It also happens to be a pretty decent piece of software

Is uTorrent Windows only? I'm a ppc user, so am i right in thinking i would have to use Crossover?

Pavey

I am also on the 16MB Max package and Speedtest.net reports my down speed as 12689 kb/s

On a private torrent site I use I've been getting an average of about 550 - 600, with it occassionally going over 900.

I have only had it since last week however so havent downloaded much, but it seems good so far.

I havent forwarded any ports either. Should I?

I also use uTorrent and limit the upload to 25.

Mine was fine at first, just for the last few months it appears throttled. Be interesting to see if the same happens to you.

Port Forwarding

Rygar

As things stand Sky LLU do not throttle/shape any p2p apps including Bittorrent or Newsgroups.

If you are sure port forwarding & your torrent client is set up correctly try the open office torrent. I find this torrent usually maxes out my connection (give it a little bit of time to get going though).

http://distribution.openoffice.org/p2p/index.html

Get the latest version in English, as it usually well seeded.

Pavey

As things stand Sky LLU do not throttle/shape any p2p apps including Bittorrent or Newsgroups.

If you are sure port forwarding & your torrent client is set up correctly try the open office torrent. I find this torrent usually maxes out my connection (give it a little bit of time to get going though).

http://distribution.openoffice.org/p2p/index.html

Get the latest version in English, as it usually well seeded.

Im a little lost if im honest to what im meant to be doing with Open Office. Is it a torrent client?

RandomLee

Distinguished Member
He means test your speeds by downloading the Open Office torrent

Open Office itself is an open source version of MS Office.

I use it and it's pretty good ;)

Pavey

How do you know this? I hope you are right, but find it hard to believe.

38 k's

Guess i shall have to just give them a ring.

Rygar

How do you know this? I hope you are right, but find it hard to believe
Because I'm with Sky and this is what I get at 8 PM on Friday night right in the middle of peak time...haven't even set up port forwarding on utorrent either.
Maybe they only throttle heavy users?....well I've downlaoded over 100GB/month on several months so that can't be it either!

Utorrent2.jpg

Grabit2.jpg

But it's also because I read of & talk to a lot of other customers on Skyuser, Thinkbroadband etc. Trust me as soon as any ISP starts shaping, throttling or port blocking it's all over those forums like a bad rash with plenty of proper evidence to back it up.

Pavey

Hmm, i agree, just can't see what else can be the reason for my slow speeds.

Do you think it's due to what you download, rather than how much, that could be their reason to throttle?

Rygar

Err no that's definately not it, and I'll say no more on the subject ;)

It could be you are just picking badly seeded torrents. As I've said before a torrent with a thousand seeders can still be a bad torrent. That's why I picked the open office one as an example...it's always quality seeded.

Also ISPs cant tell what the content of a torrent is either (well certainly not easily & they would rather just throttle all torrents than go through the expensive & difficult process of picking & choosing).

avinitski

well the 8 that your connected to may only be giving a few k each, nothing unusual there.

what about seeds?

torrents do not guarantee full speed.

snaz

I'm also on Sky Broadband Max and find some sort of capping too. However Im not so sure its Sky, I have a funny feeling its something to do with OSX and the Netgear router.

I too am using transmission on my Mac OSX Leopard connect using 11g to Sky's netgear router. Basically I find that my download rates max's out at 50k. If I have two torrents that individually get 50k, and turn them both on then total for both becomes 50k within seconds. Similarly if I tell transmission to use a 20k limit with lots of files and then suddenly remove the limit the speed ups to around 1.6mb but then drops back down to 50k. Im using a private tracker which I know to be able to provide better bandwidth than this.

I went to speedtest.net to check my speed, and it was around 500k down and 300k up. Not what you would expect for the max.

At this point I was convinced it was throttling. I downloaded Azureus to test out encrypting as a solution. Same results. I check my ports were open and forwarding correctly but no difference.

I then went to speedtest on my windows laptop via wireless less than a meter away from my iMac and I got 6000+k download!

So something is not right with my iMac and the router. I haven't yet tried using ethernet to see if its wireless (many forums claim OSX + Netgear = slow), unfortunately I aint got a 30+m cable.

Have you tested the speed rating of your service via a windows machine? I think the next things Im gonna look at are:

Bootcamp via wireless
OSX via a long cable

If there are better then its my end, if not maybe its Sky (I know im linked to an easynet box) but as mentioned earlier throttling would be on the forums in a matter of hours if it was true.

Will keep you posted.

milkmanchris

I have forwarded port 9090 (the one Transmission uses), but still no better results.

I see you are a fellow transmission user, although the best client available for the mac it is buggy to say the least.

What version are you using, I would suggest removing what ever you have and going back to 0.82 (the most stable build they ever had).

You say this is a recent thing, this could very well answer your query, I hope it does if not can you answer these few questions?

Is the port visible in transmissions preferences?

Does the d/l speed build up then come down all the time (ie go up to 800 kps then slowly down to 0)?

milkmanchris

Snaz same goes for you try the transmission forums and go back to version 0.82 see if it cures your problem.

snaz

Thought I'd post a reply incase anyone is interested.

Basically my imac's wireless strength compared to my windows (DELL) laptop is alot slower with the Sky Netgear router. I moved the router closer and all is ok.

Ofcourse I then reformated the iMac (I seem to do this as much as I did with Windows, anyone who tells you OSX is rock solid is a lucky person). Now I only have Firefox, VLC and Transmission installed. When I connect transmission the airport (wireless on the iMac) locks up after about a minute and the only way to kill Transmision or the restart the machine is to power it off. Havent figured out why this is happening. The router is fine, I've rebooted it since but not changed any settings on it.

If I find a known solution I will post it for reference.

Also does anyone actually know if sky do cap a total download/upload limit on max users? and if they have a fair usage time i.e. times of the day you shouldnt be downloading. Tiscali had it as 18:00 - 23:00, so basically they didnt want you blazing your connection in the peak hours in the evening. Fair enough, but havent found any info on similar information from Sky.

Rygar

Sky Max FUP is rumoured to be 250 GB/month with no on peak/off peak times. Have heard of people downloading more than this though.

milkmanchris

Thought I'd post a reply incase anyone is interested.

Basically my imac's wireless strength compared to my windows (DELL) laptop is alot slower with the Sky Netgear router. I moved the router closer and all is ok.

Ofcourse I then reformated the iMac (I seem to do this as much as I did with Windows, anyone who tells you OSX is rock solid is a lucky person). Now I only have Firefox, VLC and Transmission installed. When I connect transmission the airport (wireless on the iMac) locks up after about a minute and the only way to kill Transmision or the restart the machine is to power it off. Havent figured out why this is happening. The router is fine, I've rebooted it since but not changed any settings on it.

If I find a known solution I will post it for reference.

Also does anyone actually know if sky do cap a total download/upload limit on max users? and if they have a fair usage time i.e. times of the day you shouldnt be downloading. Tiscali had it as 18:00 - 23:00, so basically they didnt want you blazing your connection in the peak hours in the evening. Fair enough, but havent found any info on similar information from Sky.

Did any of my transmission post help?

What version you using

I am torrenting 100gb+ a week and have done for nearly a year

snaz

My iMac seems alright today so im hoping ive nailed it. I think the problem is i need to turn on UDnP to allow Transmission open a port and then turn it back off once its registered in my sky router as being open.

I use the latest build of Transmission, unfortunately my tracker doesnt allow 0.82. I think its because it doesn't include encryption.

Thanks for all the help and answers.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom