Do salespeople know what they're talking about?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by wilby, Nov 15, 2002.

1. wilby

wilby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In short (hopefully) father-in-law rang last night to ask if I knew anything about DVD recorders as he was thinking about getting one. "A little" I said.

The (Curry's) salesperson had informed him that he would have to go down the Philips 880 route as "the discs play on a majority of machine and the panasonic is not compatible with any of them"

I thought I'd sorted this in my head but the seed of doubt has now been sewn, hence asking the more knowledgeable forum members.

So what's true of false

+rw will play in a majority of players?

+r will too?

-Ram, not as many will play these?

-r, virtually every player will take a stab at playing these?

Personnally I'm inclined to go down the Pany route as the functionality of the machine seems greater. Both sell similar priced media. How often my f-i-l will swap disc is another unknown factor.

Anyway all advice welcome. Relatives eh!!

Thanks
    Wilby

2. RimBlock

RimBlock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Having just bought a DVD-r PC drive I have had to do some research on the formats.

It depends of the person you speak to as to which format is more compatable. dvd+rw is currently faster than dvd-rw, dvd-r discs are quite cheap (100 for around £70 or so 2x speed dvd-r). Dvd+r has not been released yet (or if it has then it has only just been released).

The big one for me is that dvd-r is part of the dvd standard where dvd+r is not.

As multistandard drives are just coming out for the PC now, I would be tempted to wait until these drives filter down into a standalone unit then you will be able to write in more or less all formats.

Cheers
    Si

3. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    The comments above seem pretty much what I've read so far.

Both of the DVD R formats are intended to be compatible with the majority of modern DVD players. The salesperson was probably meaning that DVD RAM discs used for RW recording on the Panny are incompatible with other decks, because of the caddy that the disk comes in etc. Reports I've seen so far seem to indicate that DVD+RW discs recorded on the Philips recorder are playable on a lot of ordinary DVD players, if they've been properly finalised. Sounds like something along the lines of CD-burners, where you need to close the disc before you can play it on a CD player.

On the Panny plus side, the RAM discs, with their faster access times etc., seem more flexible in allowing featues such as time-slip. How many times have you gotten home half-way through a film that you're recording, and wished that you could start watching from the beginning?

4. wilby

wilby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is it a caddy issue though or is the DVD-Ram a factor too. Without the caddy is it any different?

5. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    As far as I'm aware, even out of the caddy the RAM disks are unplayable on other players, unless it's one of the new ones from some of the big name supporters of the format (inc. Panasonic, of course). These new decks have been specifically made compatible with RAM disks, in order to try and improve the appeal of the DVD-RAM format. Still, you can always burn onto DVD R with a RAM deck, if you want to lend a recording to someone else.

If you want to check whether a particular player will be able to read a DVD R disk, best way would probably be to do a web search. I've come across a couple where people have been kind enough to do these tests for the benefit of the readership (can't remember any details, you'd have to search).

For more background, all the major AV mags (Home Ent., What HiFi S&V, HCC, T3, etc.) have really been doing the DVD recorder thing to death recently. Lots of reviews on the relative merits.

6. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    wilby. With the Panny format you have the best of both worlds. Although the RAM discs won't play in normal DVD players RAM is by far the best at editing with a seamless playback option so you don't get those picture paused at edit points as you do with the other formats.

The DVD-R (Write once) option allows you to create discs that will play on all most anything. The best of both worlds. The Panny is outstanding at copying your old VHS tapes. You can throw any condition tape at it and it will never reject it by giving you a "No signal" message as I have so often heard mentioned that the +RW/R format does.

As for sales people they seldom have a clue as to what they are talking about. Don't listen to them. Do your own research. Then ask them some questions you know the answers too and you will see what I mean. Malcom.