Do RicherSounds carry out Multi-region mods instore?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by sjw, Nov 7, 2005.

1. sjw

sjw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +215
    Title says it all really..
    Got an EH60D and was wondering if I could take it instore and get it modded. Do they need to chip the newer Pannys (didn't think so) or do they just zap it with the 'special' remote?
    Was thinking they get the players instore, open them up and mod them but wasn't sure..

2. medic45

medic45

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I'm not 100% sure myself, but I suspect they buy the EH60DEBS with muti-region already setup.
    The reason I think that is because.
    1. The boxes are marked with proper labels stating Multi-Region.
    2. The boxes do not appear to have been opened and re-sealed, at least not to my very suspicious eye. :smashin:

Mike

3. sjw

sjw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +215
    Thanks but while they may not look like they've been opened and re-sealed, they must have been.
    Panasonic do not sell a machine that is multi-region out of the box.
    So, anybody?

4. jerryat

jerryat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, before I bought my EH60 about two months ago, I checked with the Panasonic Shop here in Plymouth. They have a standard charge of £20.00 to change a single region to multi, will do it while you wait, and also confirmed that this way it would NOT invalidate the guarantee.

I know these shops a franchises, but I assume that if they say the guarantee will still be valid, it will be! FWIW, I haven't bothered to have the mod done - yet!

5. shaunr

shaunr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    When i purchased mine i got RS to price beat. They wanted to make sure i was matching with a Multiregion model as they said they pay a company to modify.

6. 1ka

1ka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    From the website www.multi-region.co.uk:

They seem to do a wide range of manufacturers DVD recorders/players.

Karl.

7. Sedated

Sedated

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I cant work that out. I got my multiregion E60 last week from Richer. The seal was 1 strip of clear tape no tears on box and didnt look resealed at all. looked factory sealed.

8. medic45

medic45

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree, mine was the same. Having been in the trade for many years I have a very suspicious nature, but it looked factory sealed to me too. I suspect that possibly these are made region free by the main import distributors, who may not necessarily be Panasonic UK. One things for sure, if they have been opened up and resealed they certainly did a very good job in disguising they had been opened and re-sealed.

9. T0rNaDo

T0rNaDo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,101
    just a suggestion.

but maybe the boxes that the players are in aint sealed up.
    but

put in pallet loads.. or stacked 10/12/24 or so in a big box that is sealed. and sent to the place that chip/mods them.
    then they are Individualy sealed ready to be sold ?

maybe be totally wrong... but then it maybe be like that.

10. simonbear

simonbear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I became curious after reading this and had a closer look at the box - it has been opened ... from the bottom side of the box - the cellophane has been sliced and a new narrower strip put over it to reseal it!

11. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    That's the way mine were also done - boxes opened from the bottom. Panasonic DO NOT sell multi-region modified machines. If the Panasonic Shop tells you it does not invalidate the warranty they are fibbing. It does. If they sold you the machine they may fix it for you if it goes wrong. Certainly Panasonic will not.

12. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,308
    Richers used to use a company called Tridek for their mods. Not sure if they still do.

13. haselden

haselden
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought my E85 Multiregion from DigitalDirect. When it needed repair, Panasonic sent a courier to collect it, fixed it, returned it by courier, and it was still Multiregion when returned. So Panasonic certainly will..............

14. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Perhaps you were lucky. Read the "Conditions of Guarantee" ....particularly the bit about "modifications not approved by us........the purchaser shall not be entitled to any rights and/or remedies under the guarantee"

15. haselden

haselden
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ROYOLD, I know what you're saying, but now that The 'Panasonic' shops are offering Multiregion, and 2 weeks ago when I was looking for a new E60D even 'John Lewis' said that if I wanted Multiregion they would do that for me at no extra charge, I can't help wondering if you're worrying about nothing.........

It would seem to be not a modification, but enabling, a previously unavailable facility already present in the OS.

16. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    I'm certainly not worried about it. I have four multiregion modded Panasonic Machines. If Panasonic wanted MR machines in this country they would release them no bother but together with all the other mfrs they have agreed to stick with the world region split. If they wanted to I suppose they could always invoke the warranty clause about modified machines. It is there in the small print on every warranty booklet.

I don't think that any actual physical mod is made to the Panasonic machines. Its all done with a special remote but when all is said and done it is still a modification.
    The Panasonic shops are not owned by Panasonic just as the Sony shops are not owned by Sony so whatever they state isn't official Panasonic policy.

I suppose that if you emailed Panasonic asking them if it was OK to make the UK region 2 machines MR and did they mind the outcome would be deadly silence.

So - I am all in favour of MR modded machines but I fully understand that if they become faulty under the guarantee period that the onus is not on the manufacturer to repair them.

17. haselden

haselden
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I concur........... :)

18. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,465
    For the most part, the retailer will provide warranty service anyway - so - if you buy from any store as multiregion (including [email protected]) then they will/should honour the warranty - at their own cost if necessary.

Conversely, when I got my Pioneer from Sevenoaks, I was provided with a D&G 2-year warranty insurance policy as part of the price I paid. So divorcing responsibility for cost of repair from the manufacturer.

19. wolfie1

wolfie1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just bought my DMR-EH60D from a local department store (authorised Panny dealer for many years).

They priced matched Richersounds at £449 even though RS were offering a multi-region machine compared to the Region 2-only machine I have purchased.

The sales assistant (who has been selling audio visual for 25 years) said that Panny do not sell multi region machines. He sais that any third party modification invalidates the Panny warranty (but maybe not the warranty offered by the dealer who mods the machine).

The printed info on the top panel of the box for my machine says that... "the region number for this recorder is Region 2". I wonder what it says on the boxes sold by Richersounds?

20. ben223

ben223

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got mine from Richer Sounds and on the top of the box it indicates Region 2 but there is a (bright) yellow sticker on the side which says multi-region.