Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Do reviewers have a clue?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by David Mackenzie, May 30, 2005.

Tags:
  1. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,312
    I was just reading the review of the Sharp Aquos LC-45GD1E at HomeCinemaChoice.com. This caught my eye:

"It’s not unusual to see other LCD HD
    displays with some sort of noise, be it
    dot crawl [..] The LC-45GD1E’s HD mode
    remains free of all such nasties."

Dot crawl? These people have seen more LCD displays than me, but are they a bit confused? Dot crawl's a characteristic of composite video that hasn't been comb filtered. There's no way an HDTV image would have it (well, not the kind I'm thinking of) - what do they mean? Is there some other form of crawling edges that can be introduced somehow?

Sorry to nitpick but it concerns me when reviewers telling people what to buy seem to have got the wrong end of the stick :suicide:

2. Rob Sheep

Rob Sheep
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to tell you but dot crawl does exist in the digital domain...

3. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,312
    That explains that then :oops:

I do realize you'll get dot crawl on some digital sources, but I thought there were always Digital Composite (broadcast D2 tapes etc). Has anyone ever seen an LCD that has dot crawl on sources that normally wouldn't have it?

4. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,039
  5. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279

yep, its a bugger when they fly around at night causing interference with the tv, and what about when you are trying to sleep on a hot night and all you can hear are the little blighters flying around the room. :D (sorry) :devil:

In answer to your question.
    I don't trust magazine reviews at all. I don't think they have the set that they are reviewing long enough or watch enough programs to really give the thing a good going over. Lets not forget that the displays that are reviewed are probably set up as best they can be before going to the magazine. I doubt they review the off the shelf from currys sets that us mere mortals seem to have all the problems with.
    I would also agree with gordon that they have probably mixed up dot crawl with mosquito noise and thats probably what they are refereing to.