Do retailers still sell discounted OS if you buy hardware from them?

PerfectBlue97

Back in the day, some of the big English retailers used to sell you a discounted (OEM) version of Windows if you brought things like hard discs or motherboards from them.

Are there any that still do this?

I'm only really interested i the larger retailers, not Amazon\eBay sellers?

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
That would be the OEM version instead of the retail version.
Big ones like Dell do, not sure about smaller ones.

PerfectBlue97

That would be the OEM version instead of the retail version.
Big ones like Dell do, not sure about smaller ones.
Yes, the OEM.

Some retailers, like PC World, Dabs or Misco would sell you an OEM if you brought a dsic or a motherboard. A few even sell you an OEM with peripherals. During the 2000s you could buy a £10 mouse and get an OEM disc for Windows from Misco.

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
The counts as an OEM license since it is sold with hardware but selling it with a mouse was abusing the license terms.

PerfectBlue97

The counts as an OEM license since it is sold with hardware but selling it with a mouse was abusing the license terms.
All that's a given, but does anybody still do OEM bundles of any sort?

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Those deals are long dead, I bought a copy of Windows in 2008 and it wasn't happening then. The only end user discounts I've seen in recent years are the student discounts and large discounts on Windows 8 at the release of Windows 10.

Fortunately, the cost of retail Windows has dropped substantially over the years. IIRC Vista Home Premium was over £200 on launch, and that was back when a pound was worth two US dollars.

You can still buy single OEM packages but they're not noticeably cheaper than retail and the licence agreement these days specifically states they're only for use on PCs you sell to a third party.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: New TVs, Samsung Q800T Soundbar review, IFA latest, Movie and AV News, B+W Brad Pitt
Top Bottom