1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do rainbows disappear?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Animal, Jun 19, 2004.

1. Animal

Animal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I’ve just taken the plunge and bought an Infocus X1 (£580 from ebuyer). I must say that IMO the picture is superb but I’ve found out that I’m one of the unlucky ones in that I can see the rainbow effects. They seem to occur quite regularly, ranging from once every few minutes to once every few seconds depending on what I’m watching. My son, on the other hand, has so far only seen one. I’ve read that after a time these can ‘disappear’ as people get used to them and their brain ‘filters’ them out. Has this happened to anyone here or is it something I’m going to have to learn to live with until I can afford a 3 chip DLP? Also is there anything I can do to reduce these effects? Thanks.

2. Docta teef

Docta teef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    As well as the possibility of you stopping noticing the rainbows the will be single chip dlp's out there that are less likely to produce the effects you are seeing at less cost than a 3 chip system

3. halflitre

halflitre

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    YES!!!

Or at least they have in our household.

We've got an X1 clone (IBM ilv300) and it bugged me for the first 2-3 weeks. Now I don't see them at all - unless of course I roll my eyes around to deliberately induce them. (Persistence of vision, the very feature that allows us to turn a series of fast-changing still images into a "movie", can also be manipulated in this way to reveal that LED alarm clock segments are multiplexed, or a mains-powered light bulb turns on and off 50 times a second)

As well as myself no longer seeing them, neither do "our lass" or my daughter.

Funny thing is, they hadn't seen them at all until I mentioned them - strangely enough after reading about them on this site, the day after I ordered my projector...

Our 7 yr old son has never seen them.

So I reckon you only look for them if someone has told you about them. And once you look at the film instead of looking for rainbows, they go away.

So stick a decent DVD in that will grab your attention - The Exorcist did it for me - and kiss those rainbows goodbye.

And don't con yourself on a 10 minute "test-drive" of a DLP projector - you're only going there to look for rainbows after all - seek the views of people like myself who actually watch one regularly, DLP kicks ass!!!

Now watching a film as if viewed through chicken-wire, well that never goes away...

Andy

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,908
    I wouldn't count on it. It is my belief that your eyes (or visual perception, whatever) get faster as you get older. And the faster the eye, the more likely rainbows will be visible.

Because I see them, to the point of nausea in some cases, I don't spend a lot of time in the company of DLP 1-chip projectors. So I can't say, from experience, whether they fade in time or not. I just suspect that they don't. It's that which stops me from considering a DLP, despuite their other advantages.

As for chicken-wire (or screendoor): someone who spends an equivalent amount of cash on an LCD projector, to the typical cost of a 1-chip DLP, will get a projector with a native resolution so fine as to be unlikely to see any such artefact at a sensible viewing distance more than, say 1.5x the screen width.

5. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    In some cases the answer is yes.

my wife at first suffered from rainbows quite badly,
    and it was a problem, but a few mths later and she barely sees them. it does appear that some do get used to it.
    (at first the wife use to get dizzy with it while i had no idear what she was going through but as said, now it is not an issue)

others Dont so it is a try and see thing

And some just use the chance to praise inferior LCD

6. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    And others to praise CRT. Go figure....

Gary.

7. Animal

Animal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies. As I’ve already mentioned, apart from the rainbows I’m more than happy with the picture quality (although as this is my first projector I’ve nothing to compare it with) and for the price there is nothing else in the market anyway. I’ll give it a couple of months and if they don’t disappear, hopefully I will at least learn to live with them. If not I’ll have to investigate the alternatives but I fear that that will not be easy on the wallet (or more precisely, credit card!). Even though I’ve only just received the X1 and I suffer from rainbows, I don’t think I could easily go back to watching DVDs on a small screen. I’ll let you know the outcome.

8. Docta teef

Docta teef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    To be honest animal (as a fellow member of the muppet band) i would think you will be ok the problem is that having done a bit of research you know what to look for and therefore you spend all your time looking for it. Last sunday i ended up watching the england match on a tosh MT100 and spent my time looking for faults (not the england team) as i was looking to find fault it was easy. Having said that watch a few films/tv and let a few other people wacth it without telling them what to look for i would think not many people will notice a problem unless you point it out

9. Animal

Animal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Docta Teef – good to see other band members on the forum! I think you may be right about looking for problems, at least in part. I was watching ROTK last night and got particularly engrossed in a scene, forgot to look for rainbows and didn’t see any. As soon as I remembered to look for them they came back again! Of course this may be down to the particular scenes involved (I tend to see them more in dark scenes) but I’m going to try and just enjoy what I’m watching rather than looking for problems.