Do PVRs plug into the AMP or TV?

themagician

Standard Member
Reaction score
Sorry for what is probably a really dumb question but I'm very new to the world of A/V. Never had an amp before. Treating myself to a some kit including Panasonic TX-P50G10B, (SONY STRDG820 or Denon AVR1610), Q ACOUSTICS 1010i etc.

I will also be getting a twin tuning PVR for freeview (no freesat yet)

What I am wondering is whether I plug the PVR into the amp or TV? Like I say, never had an amp before so unsure what the way to do it is. I'd have thought since the sound comes via the PVR I'd need to run it through the amp in order to then output to my speakers.

The reason I ask is I cannot see a PVR with HDMI output so would I use scart -> PVR?

What PVR would you recommend for me?

Cheers

Last edited:
Hi :hiya:
I have the Humax 9300T PVR
It has a lot of good features and stylish compared to some ugly beasts :D
It has HDMI output so would suit your purpose
The only issue is most PVR's output Digital Stereo
To make use of 5.1 system speakers you would set it to Dolby Prologic 11 for Surround output
BigCam

Hi :hiya:
I have the Humax 9300T PVR
It has a lot of good features and stylish compared to some ugly beasts :D
It has HDMI output so would suit your purpose
The only issue is most PVR's output Digital Stereo
To make use of 5.1 system speakers you would set it to Dolby Prologic 11 for Surround output
BigCam

Thanks for that , that PVR sounds great indeed. Are Humax's particularly loud?

Also I read that it upscales Freeview to 720p. Are there any that upscale to 1080p and if so, is it regarded as being worth the money and/pr noticeable?

Thanks for that , that PVR sounds great indeed. Are Humax's particularly loud?

Also I read that it upscales Freeview to 720p. Are there any that upscale to 1080p and if so, is it regarded as being worth the money and/pr noticeable?

Upscaling on cheap external boxes is not worth it as your TV will do it better anyway. You have to buy top end AV equipment to get a scaler that's going to outperform those already fitted to decent TV's

I have my Toppy plugged both into the AV processor and the TV. Made easier by having a Harmony remote to control the switching.

Optical audio and composite video go to the AV box (which only switches S or composite); and component goes from Toppy direct to the TV.

Ultimately, there's not necessarily one right way to do this - choose whatever works best for you and the kit you have, based on its capabilities.

The reason I ask is I cannot see a PVR with HDMI output
As already suggested the Humax 9300T has an HDMI output, as does the excellent Topfield 5810. The 5810 can output YUV Component and RGBcvS via its scart socket as well as the HDMI output, and all 3 can be connected direct to the TV with audio going to the amp via analogue phono or optical lead.

Mark.

Thanks for the replies. I bought the Topfield 5180 in the end.

The plan is to connect this with the a/v receiver (SRT-DH800) via HDMI and optical S/PDIF if necessary and then output via HDMI to the TV.

Hopefully that'll all work.

Thanks for the replies. I bought the Topfield 5180 in the end.

The plan is to connect this with the a/v receiver (SRT-DH800) via HDMI and optical S/PDIF if necessary and then output via HDMI to the TV.

Hopefully that'll all work.

I would be inclined to try using the toppys component out to the amp and letting the TV scale rather than the toppy using component from the amp to the TV. Could well give you a better freeview picture

If the amp does video upconversion then you could connect the 5810 to amp via component, then amp to TV via HDMI to keep the connnections simple. But AFAIK even via HDMI you can set the 5810 to output at native resolution of 720x576 and still get the TV to do all the scaling.

Mark.

If the amp does video upconversion then you could connect the 5810 to amp via component, then amp to TV via HDMI to keep the connnections simple. But AFAIK even via HDMI you can set the 5810 to output at native resolution of 720x576 and still get the TV to do all the scaling.

Mark.

I already checked the spec Mark and it does not upscale from the analogue inputs.

Graham

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom