Do Pscan Players have to deinterlace, thus having lip sync problems?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by jeh, Mar 22, 2005.

1. jeh

jeh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all.

I've read somewhere that these days most DVD content is in progressive scan mode. True?

Should I assume then, that a progressive scan DVD player (when reading such content) doesn't have to deinterlace not introducing the 60 ms delay in the picture that causes (or contributes) to the lip sync problems?

Someone enlighten me on this one?
    :lease:

thanks in advance

Jeh

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    That is not true, DVDs are encoded interlaced. :)

Also, lip-sync problems aren't caused by deinterlacing but by scaling and the delay depends on by how much the image is being scaled. DVD players that scale have audio delay built-in since they can sync the audio stream and the output from the scaler, so that lipsync isn't an issue.

Why do you ask?

3. jeh

jeh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well, i'm planning buying a Plasma+Pscan DVD player+A/V Receiver and the lip sync issue is a major concern to me. but reading all these threads on these forums , as well as other sources over the net, is really getting me very confused.

I was under the impression that deinterlacing needed 1 and 1/2 frame (60 ms on PAL), being a good contribute to the lip sinc problems. I am aware that there are other factors, such as cumulative delay from TV transmissions, and other processing that plasmas do, contributing to the final delay value.

if you ( KraGorn ) or anyone else has well formed knowledge about this, it would be very much appreciated!

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I don't know the theory, all I know is that when I switch my Pioneer 868 or Momitsu V880N into progressive mode I don't see any lip-sync problems, clearly the player is syncing video and audio ... if prog. scan players didn't do this then no-one would buy them. :)

Also when these players are scaling audio is still in sync .. again, the players must be accounting for the processing overhead and adjusting audio as needed.

The only time I ever use the audio delay in my receiver is using an external scaler which doesn't provide audio synchronisation.