Question Do Powerline plugs work for transferring video?

feglios

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Can anyone give me some advise please?

I'm looking to send an HD feed from my Sky+HD box downstairs, upstairs to my bedroom.

As I see it, the best option is to run a Cat6 cable upstairs with an HDBaseT on either end but what I'd like to understand is can I use Powerline plugs instead of running the Cat6 cable all the way to make use of my ring main power network instead?

Is that possible or does the Powerline not give a good enough consistent feed for video transfers?

Any help anyone can give would be most appreciated.

Thanks

The only powerline based video system I'm aware of is the HDJuicebox system. HDBT only works with a cat5e or cat6 cable, it uses a proprietary protocol over all 8 cores to carry the signal and this is not compatible with the Ethernet data protocol. There are other extenders that do em ode hd for transmission over a gigabit network but powerline does not have the bandwidth to carry this level of data. Both HDJuicebox and hd over lan use compression to "fit" the hd signal into their limited bandwidth. HDBT is lossless so gives you the full hdmi signal at the display end.

Thanks for that Neilball. What about using Cat5 or Cat6 cabling, what's the benefit of using Cat6? Also I'm assuming whichever one I use needs to be shielded?

For HDBT unshielded (UTP) cable is fine, and Cat6 would be preferred due to its improved signal performance especially if running near to the max specs of HDBT (distance & supported resolutions). I've run HDBT over Cat5e with absolutely no issues, however for new cabling installations I would use Cat6 as there is little difference in cost these days.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom