do Plasma displays have a native refresh rate?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by nikosz, Mar 17, 2006.

1. nikosz

nikosz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    do Plasma displays have a native refresh rate?

if yes, what spec value should I be looking for?

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Good question. Some do, some refresh at the incoming signal's frequency. NEC, Hitachi, some Fujitsu and Pioneer have internal refresh rates different to the incoming signal, well potentially at least. Some of them you can set to other values, like the XDE pioneer. You then need to reset it for R1 DVD. The ALIS screen Hitachi and Fujitsu screens are believed to have a 60Hz internal refresh, but this is not certain, as nobody seems willing to disclose how alis works exactly. It must have an internal clock, it may adjust to the incoming signal, personally I doubt it. Pioneer do some strange things too, this is all kept fairly close to the corporate chest. Internal refresh not at a multiple of 25 can cause PAL video to judder or even tear if done badly enough, like those Tiny plasmas last year. Internal refresh not at 30 multiples can cause the same effect with NTSC, ie R1 DVD, so ideally a plasma or any other display device should have no internal refresh, it should simply do as it's told. Non-ALIS fujitsu screens and Panasonic do exactly that. Pioneer do as YOU tell them, they rely on user setting them up correctly. NEC have a service menu adjustment for 50 and 60Hz video, it's not encouraged for end users to play in the service menu, there's some fairly scary stuff in there.

3. g852

g852

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Aren't fujitsu screens all non alis? despite them being called e-alis, they're actually nothing to do with alis?

4. JeffD

JeffD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +549
    Can you confirm that Panasonic will match the incoming refresh rate so 50Hz for PAL & 60Hz for NTSC, it's just that I thought I'd read somewhere that the new Pioneer MXE10/11 displays were the only ones that can do this. Might getting confused with the ability to do it a native resolution.

5. Juddy

Juddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Pio 436xde appears to have 50HZ and 100Hz options - surely the 100Hz is better so why provide the option to change ? Thoughts welcomed.....:lease:

6. boez

boez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    I can only confirm this when using the VGA input but the Panasonic PWD8 will refresh at whatever the source rate is, i.e. I've fed mine 48, 50, 60 and 72Hz and the panel has displayed it without judder. The Signal menu on the Panny confirms that it is seeing the rate of the source material.

HTH
    Boez

7. choddo2006

choddo2006

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +542
    Yes, but they don't allow native res @50 on a digital input (they do on RGBHV/component though) - that's what the MXE can do.

8. Walter Sobchak

Walter Sobchak
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    What do you find is the best res and refresh rate with your PWD8?

9. boez

boez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    What ever the frame rate of the source material is...

I mean, if I'm watching UK TV or a PAL DVD then I have the plasma set to 50Hz. I occasionally watch NTSC DVD's and so I then set it to 60Hz. Finally, if I watch a Divx AVI file which is at 24fps I set it to 48Hz (it wont do 24Hz!)

If you dont do this you get what is called frame rate conversion judder. Some people notice it more than others!

HTH
    Boez