1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do Pioneer not give What Hifi enough backhanders?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by jwramsay, Sep 29, 2005.

Tags:
  1. jwramsay

jwramsay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Skimmed through a review of the new 1015 receiver. Basically same crap review as the 915 got last month. The new Denon 2106 gets 5 *s as did the 1906 last month.

Having just purchased a 1014 I just can't believe the Denon can be better!?!

[non knocking Denon at all, just What Hifi]

2. spawn5552000

spawn5552000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i know what ya mean, iv allways liked Pioneer tho, better style, denons are ugly (in my opinion!),
    But i do agree that Denon must be paying more than Pioneer for the review to be that bias towards Denon.

3. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Not slagging off What Denon?? again are we??? :rotfl:

4. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +510
    They gave my Pioneer 585 DVD player an equally duff review the other month as well.

:thumbsdow :thumbsdow

5. nsherin

nsherin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    It's either that or "What Cambridge Audo'. They seem to give a lot of their gear 5* reviews. Couldnt be down to the pages of Richer Sounds ads, could it now? :devil:

6. Mark F

Mark F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Richer Sounds have reduced their ads down to two pages in the last few months and yet the new Cambridge Audio CD players have just got rave reviews. Also, Panasonic advertise heavily and although their plasma tvs get rave reviews their other kit does not.

Personally, I'm not so cynical. If What Hi-Fi are not giving impartial reviews, eg giving a product a 5* review when in fact it is very average, they will eventually get found out with the inevitable loss of readers. Hardly the way to run a long term successful business.

By the original posters own admittance, he had not tested his amp against the Denon - he just said he couldn't believe the Denon is better. Well, he may not believe it but the Denon may indeed be better. Until you demo the two side by side how can you make such a categorical statement about What Hi-Fi being biased?

In practice, I think most brand name kit is not a million miles apart in terms of performance and ultimately it comes down to personal preference depending on what's important to you (eg looks, particular features etc). There's no substitute for a demo and a decent dealer, and even What Hi-Fi say that. However, I've always found their reviews a useful starting point - it's impossible to demo everthing. (Having said that, it does annoy me how they change their tune - they say a product is the best thing since since sliced bread one month and then the next month it's presented as an also ran in the face of a new product when in all probability the new product is only marginally better. I guess they do this to hype things up to sell more copies.)

If you're happy with your kit, why worry about reviews?

It would be no bad thing if Mr Average read a What Hi-Fi type magazine before buying AV or Hi-Fi equipment as at least it would kill off the likes of Currys selling yesterday's kit at expensive prices (not to mention poor service).

Mark

PS For the avoidance of doubt, I have no connection with What Hi-Fi and do not even subscribe. :)

7. Dave H

Dave H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    Denon do indeed always get good reviews even when their equipment is sometimes buggy (DVD players) you think the sun shone out of their ****

8. Helicon

Helicon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    There's always been a link between adverts and reviews in What Hi-Fi?, Mission being one of the most famous ones. Some of their speakers are truly awful, but virtually always got 5 star reviews, especially when there were far better speakers around for the same money or less.
    I could mention many more, but will invoke the wrath of owners of that kit (i'm opening myself up with Mission for a start!).

I remember from the early 80's, every single What Hi-Fi? reader letter received a different reply(i still have some!). Now everyone's recommended the same thing. Good for those manufacturers and retailers of those manufacturers, but not good for the manufacturers of the better kit that's available.

What Hi-Fi? should be doing this industry so much good, but instead they're helping to kill it. They slate some bloody good products, and praise some that are mediocre. And as for reviews, one manufacturer told me of the product that came back from review still sealed.....and received a 5 star review....

I've seen the results for the What Hi-Fi Awards which have just taken place....and it's a joke.....

And since when have i-pods/MP3's been classed as "hi-fi"?

9. jwramsay

jwramsay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Bet Denon win loads of awards!!

10. Helicon

Helicon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    And they always get good reviews too.....

11. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,265
    I'd have to agree with them on that point, the 585 is a bit pants.

12. Helicon

Helicon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    Sorry, i misread your post initially. I thought you said BUT Denon win loads of awards!!

Unfortunately i'm not allowed to say until the 20th October.....but watch this space, you never know, i might just let some slip by accident :)

13. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    the azur series is truly phenomenal for the price, and it isnt just what hi fi giving them the credit they deserve.

14. jwramsay

jwramsay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Thats exactly my point, I'm not "in the know" but I'd say for AV equipment Denon will trash the pants off Pioneer and all other comers, in the What Hifi awards.

Roll on Oct 20th then.

15. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,265
    Let's not count all our chickens befor they've hatched, Helicon is not the only one on here who knows who's won what in the awards.

16. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    there was another brand What Hi-Fi used to love that was heavily stocked by Richer sounds, cant remember what it was now, but it used to regularly get 5 star reviews...lol

in Denons defence, their equipment overall is usually very good, well built, well specced, and the sound is fairly friendly to most people at a basic level, but can in their more expensive stuff be very good......(in the surround sound realms im talking here...in stereo stuff they are not the last word, but far from the worst either).......picture wise they are good too, no complaints on mine.....however i know they are not to everyones taste, which is fairy nuff, we buy for ourselves.

and i gotta come to missions defence too, i have a pair of 700's, lovely bookshelf speakers, stick on a nice pair of stands and a reasonably decent bit of cable and you get a really nice solid yet open sound....bass doesnt go massively deep, but its punchy and well timed.....not bad for the £50 i paid at R.Sounds a few years ago...lol (and to be honest, i'd be happier to buy them than Monitor Audio Bronze 2's....and i like MA stuff, my surround speakers are from the Silver S range...)

I must admit, i dont read What Hifi so much since it became the Sound & Vision version...i liked it when they just did Hifi more.....i buy it most months, but more just for a browse than a serious read.......i do wish they would stop with the 'we love apple' 'apple are the best' MP3 player reviews...christ, apple get ****ted for sound 9/10 by either Creative or iRiver products....all apple have going for them is being 'chic'.......yawn....like i care about chic...if i did then i'd buy an apple, i wouldnt if i wanted top sound....

17. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +510
    have to say i bought it blind. What's so cack about it?

It's a lot better than my old Samsung 709. And it does all the multichannel music as well.

18. cityonfire

cityonfire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    At the end of the day what Hi-Fi is there to sell the most mags it can. Its not the pretty decent mag it was years ago. And if that means making certain products always seem to get good reviews to keep sales up then thats what is going to happen. I mean lets be honest most of us hear would not belive a thing they say really. But they go for the market where to certain people the equipment they own must have a 5* review. I used to work for a hi-fi store about three years ago and remember one guy was listening to one of the KEF Q range of speakers when they first came out. He loved them, thought they were the best thing he had heard at the price. But he turned round and said he would not buy them until he had seen a review in what Hi-Fi to see if they got a 5* review?????????????????????? Why people cannot just trust their own ears i do not know. I did everything i could to sell him the right product for him. But for some unless there is a bloody 5* what Hi-Fi review then you have no chance. Oh and three months later the said product did get a 5* review

19. ufitsy

ufitsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +341
    I have just been told that Yamaha & Denon sweep the board in the Awards (not that you take much notice of What Hifi) - also Pioneer did'nt get a mention

Either

1. They are not good enough
    2. The others are too good
    3. Not enough backhanders

Could be all three.

How about the difference between them is so negligable that it is subjective & it is just a question of matching the rest of your kit.

When the new kit it on the horizon there are bargains to be had for the canny buyer who sits just behind the curve.

20. Helicon

Helicon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    You haven't been informed entirely correctly......(obviously it depends which categories you take into account)

21. jwramsay

jwramsay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Bet the new 436/506 wins the best Plasma award though. Pioneer have learned to give better bungs in that area. Anyone remember how WhatHifi backtracked on the review of the 435!?

22. ufitsy

ufitsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +341
    Integrated Amps/Receivers :smashin:

23. Glenzo

Glenzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    I've always been weary of Review magazines period. If you ask me they're all biased to some degree.

I do love Total DVD (hope me latest edition is in the post this morning), however how they can rate the latest Dr. Who series with 5 Stars is beyond me.

To be honest I was so embarassed with Dr. Who of late, what a load of old cheap bollucks!! Contrary to their review and this likewise ties in with comments people have made on hardware against Hi-Fi review mags. ie. They can be so over or underated!!

Mr Eccleson made a smart career move by bailing out...

24. Supersonic

Supersonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Anyone here with a Sanyo Z3 LCD projector will have been surprised to see it only got (IIRC) three stars. They're almost totally anti-LCD.