• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

do people auctually pay for their music?

andy1249

Distinguished Member
Because . believe it or not , most people actually think stealing is wrong.

The uptake of broadband and the slowness with which content providers have reacted to new delivery systems has created a situation much like the wild west , a lawless free for all , where people have come to expect to be able to get something for nothing. It would be naive of anyone to think that this situation will go on.

Indeed , very harsh steps are currently being taken , and the free for all will end soon enough.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Economy_Bill

Nevertheless , most people are honest and do actually pay for their music and movies.

Last edited:

spl23

Prominent Member
I don't pay for downloads, and I won't do so until I can get stuff in a lossless format with full CD quality.

I do still buy a lot of CDs, though - what's annoying is that, more often than not, it is cheaper to buy the CD from Amazon or Play than it is to pay for the compressed version on iTunes. Given this situation, I'm not sure why *anyone* pays for downloads...

Sanders79

Distinguished Member
I think the reason for paying for downloads was already very well explained in post #2... I don't think stealing is acceptable, even if it a theft that you are not likely to be caught for. If you don't like the compression rates of music downloads, then why not buy the CD? You already said yourself that the price of CDs is low these days. If you want the convenience of a download, pay for it - it's quite simple really.

I don't know what jobs you guys have, but I certainly wouldn't want to work and then not get paid at the end of the month. I'm sure it's the same for everyone in the music industry!

spl23

Prominent Member
Sorry - where did I say I download music without paying for it? I said that I don't pay for downloads, and that I buy CDs instead. I didn't say that I download stuff without paying for it...

Sanders79

Distinguished Member
Sorry - where did I say I download music without paying for it? I said that I don't pay for downloads, and that I buy CDs instead. I didn't say that I download stuff without paying for it...

Apologies, my mistake - I read between the lines and assumed you were in the same school of thought as the OP.

Tkrockeruk

Established Member
I mostly but CD's and only impulse purchases for downloads, normally sinlge only.

Untill there is a lossless, DRM free download servive, i'll stick with buying CD's as the second poster pointed out stealing is wrong.

Young Spade

Standard Member
Well since I only want high quality music I don't download anything. I buy my cds in the store and rip them to a lossless format then convert them to 320 kbs mp3 if needed.

alan sh

Established Member
I pay for my music - by buying CDs. I really don't like this craze for just getting downloads - I want something tangible to hold and I like reading the sleeve notes.

I currently have around 700 CDs and tend to buy 5-10 per month. I can then rip them to whatever quality level I like and I know I can always go back and do it again if it's not that good.

Alan

jabintendo

Prominent Member
not being a real audiophile, i download my songs from itunes and more recently amazon. i find it much eaier and i can get the tracks i like, not the fillers as well.

happyhomer

Established Member
I don't download music at all really.
I prefer to buy CD's and rip to Lossless.

+1 to that. I prefer whole albums rather than just the odd track, so why would I pay the same amount for an album of lossy MP3's as for the CD? I had a random look on Amazon, and several albums that I have bought recently are available as downloads for the exact same price as the CD :facepalm:

Davy

Established Member
Probably like a lot of people, I have a good mixture. Vinyl - which I love listening to, it always seems to have a 'warmth' to the music. CD's - good quality, a sleeve to hold and read. Downloads - for the simple convenience - Where else can I hear a track of music on the radio or TV during the evening and think, 'I really like that music' and have it playing on my home system within half an hour, thanks to iTunes (or who ever else you use). And finally, streaming via Napster, Last.fm, Internet radio etc. I can see the audiophiles putting their hands up in horror already. But my newly aquired Sonos system, will play all of these (with the exception of my vinyl collection) and do it very well indeed.

Do I pay for it? Of course I do. I've never walked into a shop and stole an LP or a CD, why should I steal music stored in another format? And on more than one occassion, I've paid for the music twice - downloaded it, enjoyed it so much, I've gone out and bought the CD (for the better quality). Should make the 'Music Industry' a bit happier.

psikey

Distinguished Member
I'm totally happy with 320kbps mp3's so buy tracks from Play.com, Amazon, 7Digital etc. using TuneChecker.com to find the best price. Think I've only bought around 5 tracks from iTunes in over 8 years of using iPods.

But seriously, who's going to reply saying they rip everything off from torrent sites :rolleyes:

EwanSuttie

Standard Member
I tend to buy physical copies of albums purely because I like actually owning something and also showing them off on a bookcase.

All though if there is a single I like the sound of but the album isn't out for a while I use this site to find the best price across the internet. You'll be suprised how much more iTunes are asking for than some sites.

Caveman643

Established Member
Another price comparison site I use is MP3Puzzled. I've never bought a track/album off iTunes even though I have an iPod. iTunes are consistently at the top of the price range.

probedb

Banned
I buy CDs.

rewari007

Standard Member
I will be the last person on the planet to pay for something which is meant to be free...

I really don't think piracy can be controlled by laws.. it can only be controlled by awarenes....

KJ Palmer

Established Member
Perhaps I'm old-fashioned, but I always pay for my music, whether it be on CD, or the occasional MP3 download when the CD isn't available. No excuse for piracy in my book.

rooster68

Established Member
I'm totally happy with 320kbps mp3's so buy tracks from Play.com, Amazon, 7Digital etc. using TuneChecker.com to find the best price. Think I've only bought around 5 tracks from iTunes in over 8 years of using iPods.

But seriously, who's going to reply saying they rip everything off from torrent sites :rolleyes:

hi cheers for the info about tune checker never thought about looking for such a site before i been just getting my tunes from i tunes;

looks a good site might buy more music now:D i have used torrent sites plenty of times to just get some mp3s of albums i own on lp i could not find any were else.

but now wifes bought me a usb turn table from the factory shop for £49, having fun now looking thru my old rock albums from when i was a young man lol , a slow job converting them all into mp3 over 300 albums to do and then going need get my cassettes collection done be in my 70s befor i finish doing them all

Fe_man2000

Prominent Member
I know people who buy music via the normal Itune channels and some who mainly get CD's still. I also know a number of people who get it all for free.

I would say a couple of things about it though.

A lot of people are just not that "in" to music - its not a industry that they have some innate relationship with (and younger people in particular due to the changes to the internet in the last 10 years). I can only consider it to be similar to speeding - many of us would drive 77 on a motoway which is illegal and can have very bad effects directly on human life but wont download a file as this is a more tangible thing and "stealing" is considered a different type of illegal activity. For others - click, click = new album is beyond consideration and is a cultural shift in thinking - "I wouldnt go into a shop and steal a loaf of bread" is simply not a accurate comparision even though it sound correct. The people I know who download would also not do that, they may be the same thing in your eyes and I may agree with you, but its not to them and in the virtual world perception can be more real than real or at least the net effects are.

Also as previously mentioned you always get a lot of "I dont do this" posts on any forum with this type of question, if the forum is respectable, but I suspect this is not representative of reality - not that it actually effects the morality/legallity of the issue but it is worth remembering.

Basically there are been a paradigm shift in perception of data products (music/movies/games and now books) its just not real enough for the strenght of the "moral" arguement anymore - its too late for reeducation, that boat has sailed. Well maybe in the very long run, but to tackle the problem in the next 10 years you need to make it stop at the technical level which is no small order.

HMHB

Distinguished Member
I don't download. I buy the CDs and then rip to FLAC. If I could buy FLAC files download then I'd certainly look at doing it.

k13 wjd

Established Member
The following comment is not my own, and bears no representation to my actions:

I'm not going to lie about it - i, over the period of around 5 years, have downloaded HUNDREDS of albums. Here's how i see it.

During the 90's, i bought many tapes+CD's. Lets take an example which i KNOW i bought.

Wet Wet Wet - Picture this, 1995. I bought this cd from Coda Music IIRC.

Now, skip forward ten years, to 2005. I downloaded the same album using a torrent.

Now, where was the law broken, i downloaded something which i had already paid the copyright fee on - 10 years ago.

I'd honestly say around 95% of my downloads are tracks which i have previosuly owned in a physical media.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom