Do Not Refreeze Warnings

alphaomega16

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Purchased an LA Diner Pepperoni pizza earlier but failed to notice I had left it on the side and it was pretty loose when I removed it from the box to put it back in the freezer this was about 6 hours ago.

It says do no refreeze after its been defrosted, is this just a wont taste as good thing or should it be binned ?

Getting hungry and dont wanna leave it too late if I have to bugger off out and get something else :(

Purchased an LA Diner Pepperoni pizza earlier but failed to notice I had left it on the side and it was pretty loose when I removed it from the box to put it back in the freezer this was about 6 hours ago.

It says do no refreeze after its been defrosted, is this just a wont taste as good thing or should it be binned ?

Getting hungry and dont wanna leave it too late if I have to bugger off out and get something else :(

the do not refreeze warning is because it has been previously frozen in a controlled enviroment.

some of the ingredients may have been cooked, chilled, baked chilled/frozen in that order.

from an fsa point of view, the warning is there for a reason.

the worst that can happen if you decide to use it is death from severe food poisoning. 6 hours out of the chilled process is not good. get yourself down the local take-away.

the do not refreeze warning is because it has been previously frozen in a controlled enviroment.

some of the ingredients may have been cooked, chilled, baked chilled/frozen in that order.

from an fsa point of view, the warning is there for a reason.

the worst that can happen if you decide to use it is death from severe food poisoning. 6 hours out of the chilled process is not good. get yourself down the local take-away.

It was only out for about 1-2h, the about 6 hours comment is when I put it back in.

Guess its down to local takeaway then, good thing those pizzas are only a quid.

It was only out for about 1-2h, the about 6 hours comment is when I put it back in..

you are talking about 1-2h at an ambient temperature. something like a pizza with small pieces of pepperoni could easily reach the critical temperature level that bacteria start to multiply.

Guess its down to local takeaway then, good thing those pizzas are only a quid.

good shout my friend... food poisoning is not a very nice thing at all. clostridium botulinum being the worst as that can encounter a 6 month recovery if it doesn't kill you.

It will be fine.
Cook it well, enjoy it.

phil, you may think you are giving good advice, cook it well.... that is easier said than done in a home enviroment. unless you have a temperature probe to check the internal temperature of the meat, it is a pure guess.

it is effectively bad advice on a forum, oven temps vary and timings are not always absolute. bearing in mind it has already been out of the chill chain for 2 hours and re-frozen, bacteria have had a chance to multiply.

the best advice is to bin it. that is absolute.

It all depends on the ingredients tbh. Cooked correctly, there should be no problems at all.

Wouldn't go near it if it was a seafood pizza though.

It all depends on the ingredients tbh. Cooked correctly, there should be no problems at all.

Wouldn't go near it if it was a seafood pizza though.

how would you feel if you were sharing that pizza with the OP and then the next day the world starts to fall out of your bottom.... not just for that day, but the next 3 weeks? mild food poisoning.

it is not much fun for anyone. if you have an underlying health condition, that could hinder your body's defences to fight the bacterial infection. the young and the elderly are especially susceptible to this.

campylobacter (enteritis) is the most common of food poisoning, it is not very nice. the syptoms can last for 3-4 weeks. if you are diagnosed with this, you can expect a visit from an enviromental health officer. risking baking that pizza, you are gambling with your health.

chicken is one of the most common sources of that infection, but that is not to say that beef or pork based foods will not contribute. the most common source of that infection..... because people have not adhered to the chill chain properly. i cannot stress enough the importance.

it could be perilous to eat that pizza.

I second the warnings of the others, but the choice is up to you: have a nice tasty pizza and pay for it later, or starve. I'd rather starve.

Just refreeze it for a while then cook. Along with Best Before dates, it could be one of the things that they do to make you throw things away and buy more... evil greedy companies as usual.

For now, have a takeaway :cool:

However, on some products, refreesing can result in a change in texture, e.g in cakes and gateaux, you can taste more ice crystals and things can be a bit sloppy, but no food poisoning. With pizza, the dough should be fine if you cook straight from the freezer (after refreezing).

Last edited:
how would you feel if you were sharing that pizza with the OP and then the next day the world starts to fall out of your bottom.... not just for that day, but the next 3 weeks? mild food poisoning.

it is not much fun for anyone. if you have an underlying health condition, that could hinder your body's defences to fight the bacterial infection. the young and the elderly are especially susceptible to this.

Had it. Been there. Suffered for a long time......How do I feel.

I feel you are blowing this into something it possible is not.

OP Please list the ingredients. That way we can either go OMG YOU ARE GOING TO DIE FOOL. Or it might be a low risk to no risk at all.

Anyone for an almost 1 year out of date Werther's packet I am currently enjoying ;)

Had it. Been there. Suffered for a long time......How do I feel.

I feel you are blowing this into something it possible is not.

OP Please list the ingredients. That way we can either go OMG YOU ARE GOING TO DIE FOOL. Or it might be a low risk to no risk at all.

Anyone for an almost 1 year out of date Werther's packet I am currently enjoying ;)

the difference is that this is a forum for good advice.

a 1 year old out of date pack of werthers will have a best before..... meaning it will taste better before that date.... sugar is a preservative. it will not suffer the same consequences as meats.

the OP already listed it was pepperoni..... which happens to be a meat. there are too many variables to suggest on this forum that it will be safe to eat.

I second the warnings of the others, but the choice is up to you: have a nice tasty pizza and pay for it later, or starve. I'd rather starve.

Already in bin to avoid temptation, off out to see if I can source another.

****ing sundays, why do shops have to shut at 4 lol

the difference is that this is a forum for good advice.

a 1 year old out of date pack of werthers will have a best before..... meaning it will taste better before that date.... sugar is a preservative. it will not suffer the same consequences as meats.

the OP already listed it was pepperoni..... which happens to be a meat. there are too many variables to suggest on this forum that it will be safe to eat.

Are you a Doctor, or work within an industry connected to food. Just out of interest.

Already in bin to avoid temptation, off out to see if I can source another.

plenty of take-aways open on a sunday. or browse the cupboard for other foods to cook, you'll be amazed at what you can make with some ingredients in there!

i could not put my hand on my heart and say that pizza would be safe to eat. just imagine if you decided to bake it, then suffered food poisoning and the eho visited you.... oh yeah, i ate this pizza that was sitting out for a couple hours before i cooked it, the poeple on avf said it was okay to cook then eat.

how does that look? not very good.

hardly think a temperature probe is required to test the meat on it... it's a pizza... it hasn't got a chicken breast or a chop on it!

(I'd have cooked it.... but I like my pizza's REALLY cooked and crispy!)

the poeple on avf said it was okay to cook then eat.

how does that look? not very good.

To who? EH? They will think it looks exactly the same as if you'd said you asked some blokes down the pub. ie, nothing at all!!

OMG You work for HSE don't you.

Better stop all threads right now that are asking for advice :laugh:

To who? EH? They will think it looks exactly the same as if you'd said you asked some blokes down the pub. ie, nothing at all!!

the difference is, it is in print on here. down the pub when you're inebriated, the story can get a little bit confused.

or blame it on a bad pint..... highly unlikely. the whole customer base would suffer the same consequences if pipe flushing was not done properly.

not everyone can become a publican.... same can be said for a quality chef.

It is sometime since doing a food hygienne course but doesn't cooking something at 82+ degrees for 2 minutes or more destroy any bacteria? If so surely the average home oven - pre-heated to 190-200 degrees and cooked for 10 minutes - would surely make it safe?

Get yourself North of the border, then they don't.

OMG You work for HSE don't you.

Better stop all threads right now that are asking for advice :laugh:

hse is far different from the food standards agency. hse covers workplace accidents when it is reportable which happens to be if an emplyee requires 3 days off work as a result of an injury at work.

food standards agency has much more clout.

hse is far different from the food standards agency. hse covers workplace accidents when it is reportable which happens to be if an emplyee requires 3 days off work as a result of an injury at work.

food standards agency has much more clout.

Sorry, wrong one. Do you infact work for the FSA..........

On a boring side note I work directly with a lot of the fruit imported into the UK, both for UK and Europe and understand fully the......Sorry, don't want to bore you :D

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom