Do Not Refreeze Warnings

It is sometime since doing a food hygienne course but doesn't cooking something at 82+ degrees for 2 minutes or more destroy any bacteria? If so surely the average home oven - pre-heated to 190-200 degrees and cooked for 10 minutes - would surely make it safe?

Get yourself North of the border, then they don't.

you need to achieve a minimum of 85c internal temperature of meat produce to ensure that food is safe for human consumption. the rate that bacteria start to multiply is between 5 and 65 degrees. that's not to say that bacteria are killed off at 65c. they stop reproducing. and if it is for cold consumption, then once heated, it should be below 5c in under 4 hours.

there are plenty of labs up and down the country to test shelf lifes of everything we eat that are sold in supermarkets.

it's quite a blanket statement to suggest that 190-200c for 10 minutes will kill off bacteria.. and an ill thought out statement to say the least. the suggestion of a question mark tells me that you are rather unsure. if it was to with tv's or xbox'x or playstations then the results of bad advice are not life threatening.

the fact that you are dealing with micro-organisms multiplying at certain temperatures, you need to be sure.

sorry to pontificate, but there has been some bad advice given on the forum.

you need to achieve a minimum of 85c internal temperature of meat produce to ensure that food is safe for human consumption. the rate that bacteria start to multiply is between 5 and 65 degrees. that's not to say that bacteria are killed off at 65c. they stop reproducing. and if it is for cold consumption, then once heated, it should be below 5c in under 4 hours.

there are plenty of labs up and down the country to test shelf lifes of everything we eat that are sold in supermarkets.

it's quite a blanket statement to suggest that 190-200c for 10 minutes will kill off bacteria.. and an ill thought out statement to say the least. the suggestion of a question mark tells me that you are rather unsure. if it was to with tv's or xbox'x or playstations then the results of bad advice are not life threatening.

the fact that you are dealing with micro-organisms multiplying at certain temperatures, you need to be sure.

Once again. Do you work for a body that's concerned with food hygene etc etc etc The advice you are giving seems good, but without that little post, it could, for all we know, be all cut and paste.

Many thanks and sorry for the grilling (ha ha) but I'm sure that you will understand that some people would feel better if this advice is coming from someone connected to what we are talking about in this thread.

Once again. Do you work for a body that's concerned with food hygene etc etc etc The advice you are giving seems good, but without that little post, it could, for all we know, be all cut and paste.

Many thanks and sorry for the grilling (ha ha) but I'm sure that you will understand that some people would feel better if this advice is coming from someone connected to what we are talking about in this thread.

i am heavily involved in food standard hygeine, that is why i am vehemently giving this advice. in my position, it would be ill advised for me to say otherwise. hope that helps answer your query.

i am heavily involved in food standard hygeine, that is why i am vehemently giving this advice. in my position, it would be ill advised for me to say otherwise. hope that helps answer your query.

Yes it does and thank you.

On a boring side note I work directly with a lot of the fruit imported into the UK,

Jedward-001.jpg

???

:blush:

Also depends on your immune system- some can cope, some are very sensitive to slightly 'off' stuff.

I would have cooked it and loved it. :smashin:

Could it be any different to last nights curry or pizza warmed up in a microwave for breakfast. :laugh:

neuty

Sorry, but the advice given in this thread is disgusting... I can't believe everyone has overlooked the most important and fundamental issue here...

Check this key piece of information from the OP which would tell anyone that the best move is to throw the pizza away.

LA Diner Pepperoni pizza

:D

Sorry, but the advice given in this thread is disgusting... I can't believe everyone has overlooked the most important and fundamental issue here...

Check this key piece of information from the OP which would tell anyone that the best move is to throw the pizza away.

:D

£1 Deep Pan Pizza

Step 1: Turn Oven On
Step 2: Stick Pizza In
Step 3: Wait half an hour

Cant even **** it up when drunk.

it's quite a blanket statement to suggest that 190-200c for 10 minutes will kill off bacteria.. and an ill thought out statement to say the least. the suggestion of a question mark tells me that you are rather unsure.
It was a question rather than a statement!

Can I enquire why a pre-heated oven would not necessarily kill all the bacteria? Is it because of differing temperatures within the oven? Or because the food might not get sufficiently hot for long enough throughout the foodstuff?

there no way i would chuck it away i would just cut it into slices to make sure the middle was properly cooked and cook it well.

The USDA say 165F which is 74C rather than 85C to kill bacteria instantly. There advice used to be something like 85C but at that point you are really starting to dry out your chicken.

You are right of course that you can't say 190-200C oven for 10 minutes will kill the bacteria because it's not about the oven temperature it's about the internal temperature of the food.

It's very easy to cook a pizza through though and the meat on it is in thin slices that very quickly will reach a high internal temperature.

You shouldn't have any trouble at all cooking pizza to a higher than necessary internal temperature, it's not like a thick piece of chicken where you can easily make a mistake. So I'd suggest you're at more risk by going out in the car to buy a new one than you are cooking it well and eating it.

there no way i would chuck it away i would just cut it into slices to make sure the middle was properly cooked and cook it well.

Me too. Them regulations and standards always have to be well within the safety line I thinks.

+1,

If I were a business or serving to others etc than of course I would chuck it but if it were just me, I would risk it

The OP's alternative is a takeaway. IMO far more at risk of food poisoning from that than from a freshly home-cooked pizza.

The other week I got a takeaway curry, and left the spare on the bench for about 8 hours before I remembered. Covered it, shoved it in the fridge then had it the following night and it was lovely. You've got to keep your immune system expecting the unexpected :smashin::D

The USDA say 165F which is 74C rather than 85C to kill bacteria instantly. There advice used to be something like 85C but at that point you are really starting to dry out your chicken.

The 165F is for patties, sausage and so on, a minimum of 145F (~65C) is recommended for steaks, chops and so on.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom