1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do not buy the NEC1000 HT

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by eugdog, Sep 20, 2003.

1. eugdog

eugdog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After I sent back my NEC1000 because the picture was jumping they gave me a another NEC 1000.

The new projector has the same problem - in fact the projector picture jumps is even worse.

The problem begins about an hour of watching. The picture starts to flicker then it gets worse. It is totally unwatchable. If I switch off the projector I can get another half hour of viewing unitl the problem starts again.

With two projectors in a row suffering from this problem - I think you ought to give this projector a miss. It is clearly very unreliable!!

2. Gadjet

Gadjet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I am sorry you have been so unlucky with your pj. I can imagine what I would be like.
    I am not trying to rub your problem in just saying that I own the same projector and think it is absolutely brilliant. I would sooner sit at home and watch the DVD now than to go and watch the film in the cinema.

Sometimes, especially superbit the picture is gobsmacking.
    Dont write the pj off completely yet, would it have so many good reviews of so many people.
    Any way it still sad you are having bad luck, hope the next is up to scratch

Phill

3. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    eugdog,

I'm sure you must feel disappointed at having this result - especially two in a row............

I've recently seen two different new HT1000s, the actual projector reviewed by Kramer and a new acquisition of a good friend. Needless to say, neither showed the behaviour you describe, and I haven't come across posts over on avsforum, where there's a well established HT1000 population describing such a problem.

You haven't indicated what equipment you're using with the projector - is there any possibility that the issue is upstream of the PJ, or that you're getting electrical interference of some kind from ther equipment ? I assume you've checked/changed the leads you're using, used different source into the PJ to isolate that the issue is really at the projector........

I hope you can get a resolution to the issue - it's a super PJ, I don't think that there's anything at it's current price point to beat it in terms of image fidelity.

Sean G.

4. TopMeTom

TopMeTom
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    what equipment and connections are you using ?

Phil

5. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Keep your chin up eugdog, the big boys are on your case now. When a giant shadow falls across your problem dont worry its just Kramer. :clap:

6. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    I too have had two of these pjs in my home and seen many others on demo. None have shown any issues at all, let alone anything like you are describing.

Like theritz has siad are you sure it is not some other equipment or interference causing this as having seen many of these pjs and read many many posts from dozens of satisfied owners I would be very sceptical that it is the pj, especially two in a row exhibiting the exact same fault. Sorry to repeat, but if certainly sounds it may be something external to the pj causing this.

7. mystex

mystex
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I can second all the comments above, I've used 20 hours on the projector now (finally got myself a new reciever to replace my blown SONY one!) and I've not had any problems with the picture whatsoever. I am using component for DVD and composite for NTL cable. Still think the picture is breathtaking, its also when superbit DVDs come into their own IMO, especially now that PLAY.COM are selling them for 9.99!

The only issue I have with the projector is rainbows, but it looks like I'm the only one who can see them on it. It is believe it or not getting better though especially if the room is not totally dark?

Hope you have better luck finding a new projector, maybe just try for that 3rd HT1000, 3rd time lucky and all that ;)

8. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,092
    I've had mine since Feb/March and over 150 hours without any image problems. If the same fault exists on two different HT1000 then I would suspect the source. Have you tried the composite output from something like your video recorder? See what the tv tuner picture is like.

Are you using the scart adapter from your DVD player? If so, then that could very well be the problem. There seems to be some kind of macrovision interference via scart that doesn't happen with any other input.

Try using the component, s-video or composite outputs from all sources and see if it still does it. If it's definately the projector, I think it's worth getting another one as it really is a good machine and image wise it competes with those that cost a lot more.

Gary.

9. eugdog

eugdog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the sympathy

It is definetly the projector. I check it with two dvd players (samsung l100 and the Panasonic DVD recorder) and even the "no-source" picture jumps.

It starts after about an 1 hour of play so I think it is something to with over heating (I put the fan in high speed mode).

I going to give it another go but with a fan blowing cool air across it and the panel which contains the bulb assembly open. See if that works.

If that fails to do the trick I can do is call up NEC - but I think I will ask for my money back as the product is not of "satisfactory quality" as required under the Sale of Goods Act 1973 and 1994

10. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    eugdog

Don't think just because you've tried different players that it must be the pj. Have you tried different leads as it could be the cable at fault. In fact, I think, as corroborated by others here, that it is very unlikely to be the projector unless you are running it in an unusual way (shut in a confined space, in a boiling hot room etc).

I know of only one other person on AVS who has experienced a problem with the HT1000 which is generally accepted as one of the more reliable pjs available.

Another reason why I think your subject line is a bit harsh, although I do recognise how frustrating it must be. Try different cables even if you have to connect via a composite connection just to do some testing.

11. eugdog

eugdog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I shall try different cables but I am a bit sceptical as the problem also occurs on the pj menu as well. I am going to try and move things around - the projected is in a corner but with at least two feet of distance between the walls.

I should point that I love my projector. My entire evenings entertainment is built around my projector so to go with out it is really tough!!!!

12. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Another way you could try and prove it is set up a temporary fan blowing cool air at the pj and see if that keeps it cool and removes the problem. If not then you know it's not the pj. If it does then you can be fairly sure it is.

13. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    I've seen the picture jump on mine (Sanyo Z1). I think it happens on mine when the projector guesses the incoming signal incorrectly. If I go into the menu and select the correct setting it instantly goes away i.e. 480p/480i for NTSC or 575p/575i for PAL.

It happened a few times in the middle of a movie. Never happened with my Briteview but it did happen a few times when I swapped to a Iscan ultra. I've recently bought new component cables (from Groundy) for between dvd player & Iscan and it hasn't happened again.

Jus.

14. eugdog

eugdog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think I might have solved the problem - it is over heating! I directed a fan on to it and has been going fine for the last 2.5 hours.

I would say that NEC could do better it giving us guidance - the room was hot but not 95 degrees (the manual's stated maximum operating temperature). I put it a corner but two feet from the wall so it was hardly enclosed.

As I was in the US for most of the summer I missed the opportunity to spot the problem over the long hot summer in the England!

Touch wood but I am greatly relieved!!!

Give me a few more days of testing and I will make a formal retraction of my statement not to buy a NEC 1000HT

15. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Well done. Don't forget that ceiling temperature will generally be a few degrees above standard room temp. Have to agree though that if the room is not uncomfortable to sit in then I would have thought the pj should cope just fine :confused:

16. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just how hot is your room :eek: :D

Word has it NEC aren't too happy about the adverse publicity & are due at your house tomorrow morning, first thing :p :p

Hope you get it sorted - aircon? Anyone recommend a good residential aircon company??

;)

17. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,092
    If it's in a corner, it's possible the hot air is being circulated back into the projector, which explains why it was getting so hot. I would have thought that it would have had a shut down temperature setting to prevent damage though.

Something I discovered with my HT1000 - I got terrible ghosting from my Skyworth DVD player when I had the vga connected up and running, but hadn't connected the component cables back up after moving the projector. It seems the cables were introducing something into the player and causing ghosting of the vga. Plugging the cables back in fixed the ghosting.

Strange but true..

Gary.

18. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Aircon? Everyone should have it. I just happen to know this wonderful company [insert self marketing statement here] and very reasonable too :)