1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do Not buy a HD3 if you want to swap files between 2 computers

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by jonh doe, Mar 4, 2005.

1. jonh doe

jonh doe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :mad:

My partner and I have a computer each and share some of our CD's she has a minidisc I have a HD3 but we cant transfer files between the two (see mail below) I think the HD3 is extremely good but this one fact is a reason to take it back

Hi again

This is indeed bad news and I would like you to convey my dissatisfaction with this state of affairs. I am now considering taking the HD3 back and going to buy a conventional MP3 player. Whilst it is too late to take my partner's Mini disc back you can be assured we will not be purchasing another one.

I am extremely disappointed as I think Sony products are generally very good quality. But I fell it is my duty to inform other potential purchasers of this issue on such places as AV forums as if I was aware of the issue I would never had made the purchase in the first place.

-----Original Message-----
    From: SUK.generalCIC@eu.sony.com [mailto:SUK.generalCIC@eu.sony.com]
    Sent: Monday, January 01, 1601 12:00 AM
    To: neil.atkins1@ntlworld.com
    Subject: Sony Enquiry
    Importance: High

Dear Mr Atkins

Thank you for your recent enquiry.

I can confirm that due to issues of copyright it is not possible to transfer music files from one instance of SonicStage to another.

In this case I can only suggest that you "rip" the original CD's into your copy of SonicStage.

I apologise for any disappointment that this reply may cause you, but hope that the information is of assistance.

Finally, if you need to reply to this e-mail, please quote reference 141762844 in the subject field of your e-mail.

With Regards

Richard Bobrucki
    For and on behalf of
    Sony United Kingdom Limited

2. mick's cat

mick's cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To be fair here, digital rights management is what's created this situation. All of the major systems suffer from it to a greater or lesser extent. Sony may have been a little draconian in its interpretation of the rule that's all, and I'm sure it's only been done to prevent illegal file-sharing on P2P networks and the like. Re-ripping to another computer isn't a big deal after all if you own the CD.

3. washout

washout

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it can be done here is how- open sonic stage and click on connect music store as music source, then go to account, register an account, then go to the other pc and log into the account, now u need to register 2 pc to the same account so i think this is in the account settings in sonic stage in the connect store. then to register the 2nd hd3 on the other pc, go down to the bottom right where the hd3 is showing as an external drive and click properties and register it. it is def possible, as i have done it.

edit: im unsure about the minidisc if it uses sonic stage then it should def b possible though. the idea is to have 2 devices registered on the same account and upto 5 pcs registered for those devices. it can be done, i would read the above or read the help on sonicstage for registering multiple devices and computeres.

4. c21stblade

c21stblade
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The reason that this will be the case is because sony, in writing the sonic stage software must make it difficult for users to break the law. the jist of it in my opinion is that if you havent got a copy of the cd you aren't legally allowed to have it on mp3 or minidisc as a copy (ie disregarding prerecorded mp3s/atracs or mds). so i think complaining about not been able to break the law easily is not a valid reason to take it back. however, as other people have explained above, it is possible to do, just not using the way sony want you to do it. You can get round anythin written in software if someone has bothered to write a program to do it, which usually people have.
    Hope you manage to sort it out though because in my experience the hd3 is superb and definitely much better than ipods iv listened to. the only drawback i have found is the software, as i used to use itunes and i agree sonicstage is a bit rubbish in comparison. ie how it crashes if i try to transfer while im listening to music.
    c21st
    :thumbsup:

5. Bennem

Bennem
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ive just installed version 3.0 of sonicstage and it appears to allow you to register two NWHD3's on the one computer.

6. washout

washout

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well version 2.3 definately does as i have 2 hd1 registered on two pcs on the same account and can swap music between them, even music purchased on sony connects web shop. sony customer support dont know anything.................................... :lesson:

7. martincousins11

martincousins11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A friend has told me his I-pod has the same limits of up loading to other computers.

8. jonh doe

jonh doe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the opinions and advice I'll give it a go. I guess not breaking the law is a justifiable reason and I have decided not to take back the HD3 I was just very annoyed that I could not just import 46 CD's worth of audio book at the time.

To be honest though I think no matter what the companies do the pirates will not be that far behind with a solution.

9. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    Apart from *pirates* (we don't want to go there:nono: ) there is a real need for a compromise on this. After all some people do have more than one PC in more than one residency.

The Ipod's suffer from exactly the same issue, though there is unofficial software available to be able to get around this.

This ia DRM issue not a software flaw.

10. washout

washout

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i believe sony has become very lenient in the recent releases of sonicstage, with regards to numbers of computers registrable, and number of devices. they have come in for a lot of critism in the usa on this issue.

if u look at sonys links in sonicstage it takes u too sonys website where it states differences between earlier releases of sonicstage. the latest verion 2.3 allows 5 pcs, and several devices registrable whereas b4 on earlier editions it was only 1 pc i believe.

download the latest sonicstage, and follow the helpfile, on registring multiple devices and multiple pcs. it works with me........ :clap: :clap:

11. shelteringsky

shelteringsky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi, i have a problem. i have upgraded my sonic stage from version 2.3 to 3.0 and the program seems that don´t recognize the device. it says something like... the atrac audio device must be initialized and to initialized the NW-HD3 i have to delete all my transfered files (almost 15 gb).

so I decided to reinstall sonicstage 2.3 but still does not recognize the device...

I guess that it has something to do with the registration....

I´m getting afraid... what if I buy a new PC next year? I´ll reinstall sonic stage and it won´t recognize the device. Do I have to re-transfer again all the files?

12. washout

washout

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    use the backup utility to backup my library in sonic stage (hopefully u did this already if not u are screwed), then reinitialise ur hd1/hd3 then register it with connect in sonic stage then transfer the files back to the hd1.

the answer is if u buy a new pc yes u will need to initialize the player for it alternatively u register it on ur original pc, then u can reg it on upto 4 other pcs.
    hyope this makes sense. ie if u do register it then u can register it on 4 other pcs by default without registering it unfortunately it is tied to one pc.

b4 doing anything try docking the hd1 open sonic stage, click transfer, then hd1, on bottom right there is a button device/media info, click it and to authorise device with connect.

13. washout

washout

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How do I authorize/de-authorize my computer?
    Answer

To authorize/de-authorize a computer:

1. Log into the ConnectTM Music Store.
    Click on Account.
    Go to Purchased Music section and click on "Remove Your Account from this Computer?"
    Find the name of the computer you are currently logged into and click on "de-authorize."
    You will be asked to confirm this setting. Click "de-authorize" again to return to the ConnectTM Music Store.

Note: You can only de-authorize the PC you have logged into. Follow these same steps but choose to add your account to this computer to authorize it.

y PC is not Authorized.
    Question

My PC is not Authorized.
    Answer

STEP 1: Determine whether or not the terminal ID is present (Your computer's unique identifier)

Launch SonicStage®
    Click on 'View Cart'
    Go to the bottom of this page and find '"2004 Sony Connect Inc. All rights reserved."
    Move the cursor over the '2004' and then slowly drag your mouse to the left while watching for the cursor to change to the hand. (You are looking for a clickable hot spot).
    When you find it, click on the link. This pops up a dialog box displaying: '! System Test:' which displays the 'Terminal ID' as a alphanumeric string (if it present).
    If a alphanumeric string IS returned, then discontinue this process and call our Customer Support Hotline at 1.866.919.SONY(7669) for further assistance.

If the 'Terminal ID' is NOT present (the dialog box will be blank except for '! System Test:') then move to Step 2.

Please note that our call in hours are:
    Weekdays: 12:00PM to 7:00 PM Eastern Standard Time (9:00AM to 4:00PM Pacific Standard Time)
    Saturday: 9:00AM to 3:00PM Eastern Standard Time (6:00AM to 12:00PM Pacific Standard Time)

STEP 2: Run the SonicStage® Information Restore Application. To do so, follow these steps (Important!).

Close SonicStage®
    Click the 'Start' button and then click 'My Computer'.
    In the 'My Computer' window, double-click 'Local Disk (C:)'.
    In the 'Local Disk (C:)' window, double-click the 'Program Files' folder.
    In the 'Program Files' window, double-click the 'Sony' folder.
    In the 'Sony' window, double-click the 'SonicStage®' folder, click double click on the file: OJBSIR.exe
    In the OpenMG Jukebox System Information Restore Tool window, click the Next(N)> button.
    Launch SonicStage® again (while connected to the internet)
    Log into the Connect MusicStore. All of your music rights will be in the exact state they were in prior to this issue.

When logging in, if you receive a message, regarding 'authorizing this computer', please call 1.866.919.7669(SONY) for further assistance

Can I register more than five computers under the same account?
    Question

Can I register more than five computers under the same account?
    Answer

You may only authorize up to five computers at a time under one account. To authorize additional computers you will have to create a separate account.

How do I download my music to other computers?
    Question

How do I download my purchased music to other computers?
    Answer

To download your purchased music to other computers:

You must first authorize that computer to download from Connect (You can have up to 5 computers authorized to your Connect account). If you already have 5 computers authorized and want to add another, you must de-authorize one of the 5 that are currently authorized.

To authorize or de-authorize a computer:

Click the Account link. Under Purchased Music click on "Remove Your Account from this Computer?" to go to the Authorized Computers page.
    Find the name of the computer you are currently logged in from and click "De-authorize."
    You will be asked to confirm this setting. Click "De-authorize" again and return to the ConnectTM Music Store.

Alternatively, You can transfer the tracks by burning CDs on one computer and then recording those CDs on the second computer. In addition, you can use other devices such as a portable hard drive or any other removable media to import your files into SonicStage.

PS U REGISTER IN SONICSTAGE, NOT ON IN INTERNET EXPLORER ON THEIR WEBSITE. u dont have to be in the usa or anywhere else to register anyone can register anywhere.
    from http://connect.custhelp.com/cgi-bin...nBfcm93X2NudD0xMDkmcF9wYWdlPTE*&p_li=&p_srch=

14. shelteringsky

shelteringsky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thank you very much. I see that you´ve taken from sony customer help. I´ll try it tonight.

Are you sure that the problem with sonicstage 3.0 is only about authorizing again the computer,... i´m not sure but i´ll try. I have no other chances.

Thank anyway. Very nice

15. washout

washout

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i upgraded to sonic stage 3 from 2.3 and had no problems with no need to reinitialize, however i had registered it with the computer with connect in sonicstage previously b4 the upgrade. it is possible if it isnt registerd b4, then it may need to be reinitialized which is a real *bitch*
    also by registering they give u 45 free song downloads from connect, so use a valid email address. sure if it doesnt work at least u know, really u should have backed up the library b4, and if it didnt work u could always have deleted sonic stage 3, reinstalled 2., recovered the backup, then registered the unit and finally upgraded to sonic 3.

give it a shot anyway, but u know for future reference it works even if u do have to delete 15gig of tunes. :suicide:

oh and b4 autorising it, set up an account in sonic stage , -open the music sorce, connect music store trhen click account and register.

16. shelteringsky

shelteringsky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thank you very much. I´ll try it tonight. Hope it works

17. shelteringsky

shelteringsky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought I had registered before. I give my name and adress and the serial number of the machine... Do i have to do it again in order to be authorized? Maybe it works different in spain (that´s where I´m from-now you can see why do I explain myself so badly, and also why it takes me so much understanding) Anyway, I´ll try and will tell you the end of the story. I "don´t mind" if I have to delete and reinitialize this time but wouldn´t like doing it again if, for example, I buy another computer in a couple of years. so... is it possible to copy the files ready to transfer to HD3 into a dvd, so I only have to import them in the library if i had to reinitialize it some day? ( the fact is that when I import the mp3 files from my hard disc to the library, once i have transfered them, i delete them from the library cause I don´t want to have them duplicated in my hard disc, and I listen to music in my computer with windows media player)

18. washout

washout

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i believe to register u do not give the serial number, it gives it itself, perhaps u registered for warrantys on sonys website?

yes it is possible to backup your music on a dvd, in sonicstage, click tools, and then backup my library, this then gives u backup options. u will not need to initialize if u buy a new computer, as u just register the new computer in your account on connect.

if u have a problem get back :thumbsup:

19. shelteringsky

shelteringsky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When first of all I "registered" I didn´t do it properly (guess it was warranty, too) so I couldn´t stand it anymore... Yesterday I initialized the player. I had to do it! I tried many ways to account but I couldn´t... But what was my surprise again when once I had initialized and tried to account, that I couldn´t... With sonicstage 3.0, when I connect, I do it with american site and doesn´t allow me to account (because I´m from Spain). With sonicstage 2.3 I connect with french site (I tried to account but I don´t know if I did it well cause I don´t understand french)... The problem is that spanish connect site isn´t prepared yet. It´s supposed to be ready this spring... but I don´t know...

At least, now, every time I use Sonicstage, appears a window with a message about the possibility of registering (that´s why I guess that my french registration didn´t work).... I´ll wait till the spanish site is ready. Then, a spanish version of SS 3.0 will be ready too so I will upgrade it AFTER registering properly (i hope).

Anyway, I´ve learned the lesson and I´m back up-ing all the library DVD by DVD while I transfer everything again :suicide: Just in case I can´t account...

Yesterday it took 3 hours filling the player with 5 gb. I guess that 5 more hours will be enough.... I feel so stupid...

20. washout

washout

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry about that, here in ireland i have had no problem connecting to the usa website in SS3.