1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do new recorders have the HS2 video sync problem?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Ged, Sep 21, 2005.

1. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I have a Panasonic HS2 which doesn't sync video and audio on record/loopthrough unless play is enabled. I have not done much reading on newer recorders but has this been addressed, as in you can leave the recorder on, ready to record without the mismatch?
    If so does it apply to all recorders now?
    Thanks

2. Steve N

Steve N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,701
    I've used two of these and never had a problem. I got one when they first came out which my brother now has. I bought another recently on ebay for the kids room which also operates fine.
    Maybe I've just been lucky or you've been unlucky.
    Since used the E100 and currently using the E500 both problem free.

3. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hi Steve,

I asked about this when I bought it and it was supposed to be due to the video processing, took that at face value and just pressed play to sync it.
    This is not me being picky, it is way out when the gab gets going, would be nice to know it is all buffered before outputted to sync it.
    Reason is that new stuff is cheaper and I could leave it on, possibly doing RGB to component upconversion to the amp.

Ged.

4. illustrator

illustrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I remember this, the "lip sync mod", they were modified by Panasonic when the problem came complained about, looks like you still have an unmodified machine.
    Don't know where you'd get it done these days as it must be well out of manufacturers warranty. To my knowledge none of the machines after this suffered the problem.

5. Steve N

Steve N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,701
    Hi Ged,
    Be cautious if you decide to change for a more recent model.
    I would suggest that if you do you use a shop where they let you play around with it first.
    The nav system on the HS2 is, in my opinion, far superior to models from the 85 onwards. This is especially so with editing and creation of play lists which are a bloody nightmare on the new nav system. On your machine you can use a start/end point to select scenes. On the newer nav system you have to create chapters, and you always lose about five frames either side. Also, remember your machine gives the bitrate data which I don't think any of the newer models do and yours also has the DV in connection which is only available on some of the newer machines.
    As regards your sync problem. As I said, I have never had this problem personally and I am very picky. It sounds to me like a bit of after sales bullsh*t to get rid of you I'm sorry to say.

*EDIT* I wrote this prior to seeing Illustrators interesting post which explains why you had a problem but I didn't.

6. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Thanks guys, so not so straight forward!
    The issue was documented by forum users and i just left it, I may contact Panasonic and see if it is a firmware flash. Didn't give the edit feature change any thought ASSUMED all were equal :oops:

7. illustrator

illustrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Panasonic put together a package comprising of a plasma screen & the HS2 but when the dealers set it up the video & audio was out of sync, Panasonic modified all of their remaining stock & any customer machines that were returned, dont think it was a firmware thing though or you'd think the dealers would have done the mod themselves

8. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    It only does it on record/loopthrough, playback is fine, except if you don't need to start from the beginning and catch up/timeslip, e.g start recording part way through then the issue arises, need to press play and watch 7 second after the event.

9. illustrator

illustrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I cant remember the exact details of the fault I just remember the engineers remarking that "it needs the Lip Sync mod" as we stood drooling over the mirrored finish, beautiful machines those. :)

10. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    The only Panasonic model to exhibit the lip sync problem - where audio would be out of sync on live pass through but fine on recordings - was only ever a problem with the early DMR-HS2 models. None of the other models, including the earlier E30 and E20, had this issue as have none of the later models. Have to admit for the period I had my HS2 this didn't really present a problem for me - but then I use Sky+ for general timeshifting.