Do new employers get to know your old salary?

balidey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am looking to change jobs, from one I have been in for many years. I am planning a big step up in level of responsibility and salary.
I am not going to mention real figures here, I'll make something up.
So lets say I am currently on £250,000 and I am going for a job with a salary of £750,000. Obviously it is more than what I am on now. But some job adverts ask for current salary level. If I said I was on £550,000, then they think I am currently quite close to their target, much closer than I am really on. But if I took the job, would they find out what I was on when they start sorting out my salary, NI and tax payments?
I understand that this is bordering on lying to get a job. Some jobs give a salary figure. Some ask for your expectations. Some ask for your current salary. So really all I am asking for is in the third scenario, if I apply for a job and they ask for mine and I inflate it a bit closer to theirs, will I get found out?

EDIT to add: I am applying for jobs I have qualifications and experience for, just that I have been in my current job for so long and I have not pushed annually for pay rises, and the jobs I am after are also considered a 'step up the ladder' so I am looking at a potential large increase which some employers may look at as me not being suitable.

Thanks. In that case I will be honest and tell them if they ask.

Its not completely clear though from the P45.

Say for example you claim to earn £500k per year, you start the new job half way into the tax year and your P45 should in theory say you have earned £250K, of questioned you could always say the salary is paid irregularly or something like that.

Of course being honest is always best as the truth always comes out in the end.

Well, I have to be honest. It's my uncle's company in Dubai. I'm going to be IT director. I just have to complete my City and Guilds in desktop repair.... ;)

Balidey and I when we've been rumbled....

anigif_enhanced-buzz-24856-1443730678-5.gif

Oh and.........i'm Batman

You don't have to give the new employer your P45. You'll end up paying more tax but can reconcile that at the end of the year.

Oh & your example should have said that you "only" earn £250k... ;)

They can't really find out, no. There is a certain amount of reverse engineering they can do if they get some documents maybe but it's not definitive by any means. They always want to know your last salary so they can make sure they aren't paying you 'too much' more. You can always not tell them - up to them if that is a 'no thanks' decision.

It depends on the hirer. I was chatting to one the other day. They interview a candidate, then if they like them they look at their current salary maybe and make them an offer. However behind the scenes they have an upper limit which is within their budget - ultimately, if a candidate they like asks for anything up to that, they will say yes.

Same boat, same question hahhaha

Thanks OP!

My last move I inflated it 25% and they offered more than that, put down what you want and see what happens. You think no one else does it, get real if you don't more the fool you (not you personally) as they say.

I mate of mine was just in the same position when applying for a new role that was a level up from their current management position.

The recruitment agency advertising job advised the salary range for 40k-70k and my mate was on mid 30's obviously he wanted as high as possible but was put on the back foot when the recruiter asked what his current salary was which caused the quandary as by admitting his current salary he knew if successful he'd be offered a figure in the lower end of the scale so he rolled up his salary, pension which was a good one & bonus to be able to say his current package was worth 45k.

The recruiter also asked his salary expectations to which he said 50k-60k (hoping for 60) not wanting to put himself out the running by asking for 60k-70k.

Anyway he was successful and offered the role and 55k which was obvious as it was 1/2 his expected range but he managed to negotiate up to 57.5k.

He still feels he's missed an opportunity to get 60+ but is delighted with his new salary all the same as its a life changing amount for him and his family.

Thanks, that is the sort of situation I am in, just didn't want to push my current salary too high and get found out.
I think from other comments above, if I include bonus and pension, then add a bit, I should be OK.

Yes you should include your total package, and holiday if that is better now.

I find it is very useful to do some research with usually ex colleagues and managers to find out what the going rates are on. I know my next few targets now and what is reasonably / cheeky / exceptional to ask for.

When I got my current job I was asked to provide my last 3 months pay slips to the new employer, luckily I was honest!!

My guess is that it depends on the size of the company. A small company may notice where as a large corporation prolly wont as the P45, salary etc. will be dealt with by a seperate department and, take it form me, different departments rarely communicate with each otehr more than they have to.

When I got my current job I was asked to provide my last 3 months pay slips to the new employer, luckily I was honest!!
What sector? I work in a university and seen that happen once (asking for payslips) when someone wanted to come in at the top of the band. The 'norm' here is that they use your existing band and increase by 1 or 2 when moving unless it's a more senior position, in which case it'll almost always be bottom of the band. Obviously when getting to higher grades, ie prof or very senior management, then there's more negotiating room

What sector? I work in a university and seen that happen once (asking for payslips) when someone wanted to come in at the top of the band. The 'norm' here is that they use your existing band and increase by 1 or 2 when moving unless it's a more senior position, in which case it'll almost always be bottom of the band. Obviously when getting to higher grades, ie prof or very senior management, then there's more negotiating room

Within the NHS, was nearly at top of my band, negotiated top and they wanted payslips to prove what I was on. I remember thinking at the time that it seemed odd as I have never had to do that but heyho, maybe budgets were tight and they wanted proof of what I was claiming!

Within the NHS, was nearly at top of my band, negotiated top and they wanted payslips to prove what I was on. I remember thinking at the time that it seemed odd as I have never had to do that but heyho, maybe budgets were tight and they wanted proof of what I was claiming!
Sounds similar to here then - I think it is the norm when wanting a higher point on a scale, but would depend on your willingness to turn down a lower offer as they really do play hardball over it.

It can be done as the wife has just done this for a move to new place - offered 2 points higher on the scale but refused because of increased childcare and travel costs. After lots of negotiation she eventually got 4 points more, which was a couple up from bottom of band. She had to be (and was) completely willing to walk away from the job offer though if it wasn't high enough, and this was made quite clear to them.

I'd have told the that's confidential, which it is really, why would your employer want that info, if only to pay as little as they could get away with.

Yep it is a bit dodge. Why not counter by asking to see the last three payslips of each of the other team members so you can make sure you are getting a fair deal :)

I've officially got 28 years behind me now I think. I've never been asked about my existing salary. And worked across global multinationals, central government, start ups. The focus is purely on getting a mutually agreeable deal for current package.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom