Do Multiregion Upgrades Work!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by bluesfan, Jun 29, 2004.

1. bluesfan

bluesfan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am about to buy a dvd recorder but am worried that buying a multiregion version may cause more problems than the benefits of cheaper disks (if I ever get any). I'm concerned that the firmware used may not be as good as the manufacturers (for example Sprinter or others). Is it safer just to buy an unmodified machine for peace of mind?

Has anyone had any problems with modified machines?

2. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    It depends who has done it!

My HS2 has been perfect as a multiregion, but I believe it is a software mod and not hardware so you would expect it to be.
    I used to buy a lot of region 1 discs but the price differential has largely dissapeared, particularly if you can wait a few months after first release till they become discounted.
    Personally I think you could get away with a standard recorder, and use it for what is intended and have a seperate multi region player, which could well give you better playback quality anyway. I use a tosh 210 as a playback machine as it has component output and is connected to the 5.1 input in the tv, leaving the hs2 as a simple recorder.(this also gives me the option to playback dvd's on the hs2 with non standard sound on the extras which are silent on the tv's 5.1 system through the optical input and to use headphones with the dvd if required when the children are in bed, which again don't work easily with the 5.1 set-up that I have.)

3. bluesfan

bluesfan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah good point I think the price argument has made multiregion less of a necessity. I don't want any manufacturer to tell me the problems due to the firmware.