Do most digital camcorders allow simultaneous recording to minidv and via av out?

L

leonb

Hi,

I'm new to modern digital camcorders and need to find out whether it is usually possible to record using a camcorder onto its internal media (minidv) and onto VHS via the av out at the same time.

I have searched the web as much as possible and read many manuals and nothing appears to answer this question.

The camcorder I have in mind is the JVC GR-D73

The reason I need to do this is because I work in a college theatre and for exam performances we want to capture a decent quality picture and sound for our own records but also need to give a VHS tape immediately to the examiners after the performance - ie. we don't have time to dub several hours of digital video from the camcorder onto VHS after the performance.

If this is not usually possible - is it possible at least to use the av out just to supply a live feed to a VHS recorder?

Many thanks in advance.
Leon.

Yeah, plug a 3 way phono cable (the red, white and yellow sockets) into the camera with a 3 way phono on the other end. Plug into VCR, put in cassette, press record as you film. The output on the camera should be automatically set to ouput what you see on the screen. Usually this outputs all the numbers and readings of what your doing with the camera, but other than that i think it works.
Please no one call me stupid if i'm wrong.

Well I've never recorded live to VHS from my TRV-900e, but I have used both the S-Video & composite outputs to connect to a monitor when recording and they have worked! I would assume the audio would be the same, but this has never been needed by me, so have no way of knowing for sure.

Mark.

Thank you both. That's pretty much what I was hoping to hear. I thought it should be possible but before spending the colleges money I thought I had better check this out.

I think it is a little odd to not specifically state this in the manual's (I've looked at several different camera models) - all they need is a paragraph saying the av out/dv out functions will still work while recording onto minidv (or suchlike).

And equally - they should probably warn if these functions do not work. Just for clarity like.

Instead they just say how to dub a minidv onto VHS or equivalent.

Cheers,
Leon.

Well TBH DV camcorder manuals are not the best at explaining anything other than the actual recording on the cam. I've lost count of the number of people on here that have asked the very basic questions on captureing their footage to a PC/Mac as it is not even mentioned in the manual, and you can understand the problem when most cams now have DV, AV & USB ports. That's not even getting into the fact that many come with the new connections such as Blue Tooth :confused:

Mark.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom