Do Microsoft ever sell refurbs as new?

Spoonablehippo

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Only reason i ask is that i just got a 60gb pro from Argos, and the box looks like its been resealed?! Its a much larger sticker placed over the original.

Also, the box looks like it was originally not a UK one as on the front & back, it looks like it originally had PEGI logos that have been covered over with stickers of the green "U" symbol (age rating)!

The sticker on the side with the model number also appears to be the 3rd one on the box!!! it says LOT NO: 0931 and TEAM: ABIR

Looking through the window on the box to the console, i can see the MFR date as: 3rd June 2009!

So, any thoughts?

I'm pretty sure it's illegal to knowingly sell something as new when it's not. I'd get it straight back to the shop if I was you and get a new one. As a rule, don't accept a box that looks like it's been opened. It's possible the store have sold you a return by mistake, it certainly won't be MS repackaging refurbs.

Had a very similar experience the other month when i got my 360. Bought it from Currys but was given a returned console (even had a disk in tray). There was a security seal on it though. Have you actually opened the box up? whats the packaging like etc as your know straight away if it's been opened. Anyway I quickly returned it for a brand new console. If your not happy then i would definitely go back and exchange it.

Happened to me as well

if someone brought it back and it works it would be sold as new again. I have had one from ASDA like this

if someone brought it back and it works it would be sold as new again. I have had one from ASDA like this

shouldnt be though.

No, no, no! Having worked in retail, that console should go back to MS, it's absolutely not allowed to be sold as new. It could be sold as opened or a display model, but not as new.

Once that seal is broke it's been used. The shops aren't allowed to sell these so my mate tells me (she works in retail)

I bought a Elite yesterday and the first box the guy brought out from the back didn't have any seal at all, i asked for one with a seal and he got me one, but said, " most of them come in without seals " :confused:.

Anyway when i got it home the bloody pad didn't work, so maybe i should of had the first one after all.

Mark.

PS, the console is a 12.1 v 150 w power brick, is this one of the new motherboards.

PS, the console is a 12.1 v 150 w power brick, is this one of the new motherboards.

Yep, one of the new Jasper models:thumbsup:

Rob

Not had any problems with consoles but Gamestation have tried to pass off pre-owned/used games as new ones on 5 occasions!!!
I don't but from them anymore.

Regards,

Simon

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom