1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

do members think compilations sound as good as the original vertions??

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by mick23, Sep 20, 2004.

1. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    some time back had a dem of densen beat mk5 ,rocksan caspian , exposure cd player and bw cdm1nts , bought a few cds along, first track up was dire straights brothers in arms not sure what cd i acctually brought to demo,

the guy demoing immediatly asked if the cd was a compilation cd , no idea i replied, however he selected a cd from the shops stock of cds and proceeded to play brothers in arms track and found the sound to be rather better quality than the first vertion. a slightly smoother sound.

i did not purchase any of the above kit at the time but that seemed the biggest differance that came out of demo.

so do others think original or compilations sound simular or differ in any way.

thank you

2. jimcarney

jimcarney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    No the volume always seems all over the place!!

3. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Depends which version of "Brothers In Arms" you brought along to demo.

There is the original CD release then the CD digital re-master which is a big improvement on the original release (all of the Dire Straits catalogue was re-mastered a few years back).

However, at the time of the re-masters being released there was also a "Best Of" compilation CD released of these re-mastered tracks called "Sultans of Swing". In addition to using the re-mastered tracks, the compilation was also HDCD encoded which the standard album releases were not.

Just as the re-masters sounded better than the original releases, and A-B comparison track-by-track, shows that the HDCD sound of the compilation is a noticable improvement again, even on non HDCD players/amps.

4. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    the pauly think the disk i used was original cd non remastered , found the cd used in shop seemed to be smoother sounding , i have the original on every street cd which does sound pretty good to me, i have the hdcd vertion of sultans of swing but find some of the tracks slightly fatiguing with my dyns ,3802/a23 setup.

thank you