Do many people still use Play?

i still use play, just use whichever is cheapest. now between future ent and play. dont use movietyme, too expensive just to get non french covers and i dont get to watch the films within 2 days of receiving them through the post, so i dont care if there ship 3 weeks earlier. although the people who order from them do help me when choosing discs. how many people got r1 hulk and missed out on the r2 dts disc , same as mummy returns on r1.
I find that between future and play the prices are only £1-2 cheaper.

I used Playusa for the first time a couple of weeks ago. Ordered 3 dvd's. Only 1 has turned up so far and they rell me I will have to wait a couple more days before the missing ones can be officially labelled "lost". They said on the phone that they will either credit them or replace them - we shall have to see. Not a very good first experience though.

Think I will give CD-WOW a go next and see how I get on with them.

Originally posted by Clabs
I used Playusa for the first time a couple of weeks ago. Ordered 3 dvd's. Only 1 has turned up so far and they rell me I will have to wait a couple more days before the missing ones can be officially labelled "lost". They said on the phone that they will either credit them or replace them - we shall have to see. Not a very good first experience though.

Think I will give CD-WOW a go next and see how I get on with them.

I had a similar experience and they replaced them easily enough.

Then get this.

4 months later the Royal Mail rang me and asked if I'd like to come and pick up some stuff at the sorting office which had just arrived from Mount Pleasant.

Originally posted by alle v
...Mount Pleasant? as in customs had had it all that time?

Yep :mad:

Well how do you expect our hard working customs boys to keep up with new DVD releases otherwise? ;) :)

I still use Play quite a lot as cd-wow don't usually stock the things that I want to buy

I still use Play 100%. I have used them for 3 years now and must have spent a fortune on dvds, games etc. I don't buy many R1's. I know I could probably get a better deal but their service has been first class throughout that time and the site is so easy to use. I remain loyal.

Originally posted by ashearer
I still use Play 100%. I have used them for 3 years now and must have spent a fortune on dvds, games etc. I don't buy many R1's. I know I could probably get a better deal but their service has been first class throughout that time and the site is so easy to use. I remain loyal.

Ditto.

I do buy any R1 items over £18 from elsewhere though to avoid import charges etc. But i'd rather pay the minimal price difference and have a quicker delivery time.

Me too, I find their website navigation the easiest to use. Usually fairly quick delivery too.

Play haven't completely lost it with regard to prices, either. Their price of £17.99 for the upcoming release of Dilbert wipes the floor with DVD Pacific and even DVD Soon. And I agree that their website is one of the most effortless to use, so there is still plenty of life left in Play for me.

I have just recieved the region 1 box set of Firefly from Play. This is the first time I have been stung for import duty after using them for 2 years. They have changed the way they deliver region 1 disks so I will stick to region 2 from them for now on.I also recieved another region 1 disk from moviesunlimited.com with out paying the duty in the same post. THey seem to have a great back catalogue of hard to find films. Worth a look for that obscure title

i might use dvdsoon as you all seem to like using them. just a couple of questions,

the prices look cheap but do you have to pay for shipping?
what are the customs charges?
how much cheaper are they in total (r1 dvds are usually £16.99)?
how soon do they arrive after the release date?

i have been looking for somwhere new to get my region 1 dvds from somwhere a bit cheaper

cheers

Well, I can't recommend them highly enough.

Unfortunately free shipping ends at the end of the year, but they have said they will be announcing new deals when free shipping ends (prob somthing like free shipping on multiple titles etc.). All orders including pre-orders done before January will still get free shipping though even if not shipped till next year.

No customs charges.

Much cheaper. New releases are about £12-13 or less depending on exchange rates (canadian dollars).

Shipped right away usually well before official release dates. Usually takes 3-5 days to get to me even using free shipping option.

Customs charges are theoretically :D the same as any other far-off arrival. Keep it below £18 and you should be okay.

Within the last few minutes, I've just made my first order. Until the end of the year, there is a 'Free Shipping' (standard mail, usually $4.98CAD) option. This is estimated to take 7 to 15 days (allowing 45 days before the package is declared 'missing'). First Class (5 to 10 day) and DHL options are available for a charge - just $5.98CAD, for a single item, First Class.

For my first order, I selected the 'Free Shipping' and so, have paid approximately £4.20 for Titan A.E. :smashin:

I've just checked a couple of prices for you.

Finding Nemo is listed at $27.98CAD, equivalent to £11.84 (using Yahoo! Finance).

Pirates of the Caribbean is shown at $28.98CAD, £12.27.

Finally, The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen is priced $25.98CAD or £11.00.

Checking PlayUSA.com produces prices for the latter two of £16.99 and £15.99 for Finding Nemo.

Delivery of 2 items would usually be $7.98CAD or $9.98CAD for Standard and First Class delivery respectively.

Give 'em a go! :clap:

Keep it below £18 and you should be okay.

Except thanks to the guys at dvdsoon you don't have to keep your order below £18, as no matter what you order it will be ;)

I mostly use cdwow now, I got a bit annoyed by play when they misrepresented the track listing on a cd I wanted to buy, chantal kreviasuks colour moving and still. They claimed there were three extra tracks on the disk, one of which was avaliable on the american edition of the follow up album as a bonus track. They offered my money back if I returned the item at my cost,which to be honest I couldn't be arsed to do. Also despite me telling them of the correct track listing on more than one occasion it took them literally months to correct the websites track listing, so who knows how many others bought from them for the extra tracks. Its not even as though there is a version of the album with the three extra tracks, so god only knows how play came up with the track listing.

I use play all the time and have never had one problem with them and been using them for 3 years nearly and i only buy 1 - 3 R1 dvd's a years and there always ones which are not yet avalible on R1 so the customs charges never have affected me.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom