Question Do M&K still cut it?

Audiofanatic

Established Member
Reaction score
Im currently upgrading most of my HC, new 4K TV, about to upgrade the fantastic Denon 3805 amp to a newer model with abit more ooomph and features, something similar spec and quality. I'm running a BK XLS200 sub and Wharfedale diamond 10s 5.0 speakers, dx1s at the rears, compact 10.cc center as limited on size of center and 10.2s for L+R the system is fantastic for what the speakers cost, I don't really listen to stereo mainly gaming, TV and movies. Ive always fancied some M&K speakers but do they still cut it? and will the L+R still be upto much going from a full size stereo speaker to a compact speaker such as the Xenon range, not sure on what M&K to look at yet but the likes of the LCR36 crop up often for sale.

Worth it or not? I dont want the system to sound to cynical going to a smaller speaker and I don't want to have to compensate to much with the sub living in a mid terrace house, I'm surprised I've not had any complaints yet as it is :D

MK or M&K still can cut it but they will certainly need a decent sub as unlike full size speakers with a modest sub they really need something a bit more beefy than the XLS200 IMV.

MK speakers are very accurate and can appear a bit harsh especially if you are used to a warmer sound. However what they lack in warm is made up by dynamism especially for movies. Sharp sounds like explosions and gunfire are much better than hi-fi type speakers but as I said a decent sub is essential so think BK XXLS400 as a min with these speakers.

Xenon are even lighter in sound weight than the larger models so depending on your budget you probably want to consider other models such as 651/85/850/750/M5/M7 there is a big range to choose from depending on budget and the age of speakers as they have been around for some time.

The higher end 150's are their top of range (excluding the 300's which are £2k each speaker) models which stretch in age from new to around fifteen years old but can still command £800-1500 for the front LCR. These are in another league to the xenon's but also require very good quality amplification to get the best from them.

If you have not heard any I suggest getting a demo before you go any further to see if you like the sound or not.

I have a bit of experience with m&k when I was in the av industry, I liked there clinical detail just wonder if it will suffer in a home environment.

Depends on what home environment really, many folks have them in that situation and find them very good.

Just make sure you have a good sub and amp and run eq which is included on most avr's these days and you should get good results.

I use m&k k series speakers from k7/17's to K4T all of which perform brilliantly even though they are many years old. However as Keith pointed out you need a good sub.

Bottom line yes mk still cut it :)

Out of interest what standard speakers out there are good for movies, im limited by size of center speaker though, not sure weather its best keeping what I have as limited space for center. do like m&k though

I have a bit of experience with m&k when I was in the av industry, I liked there clinical detail just wonder if it will suffer in a home environment.

They are clinical and can be a bit ruthless with the source material but it would take something special to tempt me away from mine. Dynamically, not much will touch them (S150's). The drawback is you get to hear just how crappily authored some movies really are.

I'm running MK MP150 on wall speakers, the later version with the improved tweeter. They are supposed to be smoother than the earlier 150 models, but even so they can be quite ruthless with certain recordings. I have a separate room eq box (miniDSP DDRC-88A) which gives me Dirac Live room correction and allows target curve adjustments, so I tend to use one that just take a little off the top end making it a bit smoother, but without dulling the overall sound too much.

A similar, but less adjustable trick is to use the 'THX' function in my Arcam processor and I know that some modern amps have a 're-eq' option, which again takes the very high end off. I used to own an Onkyo 818 AVR and this was piercing with the MP150s, but the 're-eq' function did at least take the edge off and make it more listenable. Could be worth trying on the smaller MK models too.

I also run the smaller M&K K5 and K4 speakers in my conservatory along with a BK XLS200 sub and a slimline Marantz AV1605 AVR. This is a cracking little set up for a smaller room (4 x 4 metres) and you can pick those K5/K4 up quite cheap used. The 750, 950 and newer M5/M7 models are a step up again (though not quite in the same league as the 150s) and can be very enjoyable if helped with a decent sub.

MK or M&K still can cut it but they will certainly need a decent sub as unlike full size speakers with a modest sub they really need something a bit more beefy than the XLS200 IMV.

MK speakers are very accurate and can appear a bit harsh especially if you are used to a warmer sound. However what they lack in warm is made up by dynamism especially for movies. Sharp sounds like explosions and gunfire are much better than hi-fi type speakers but as I said a decent sub is essential so think BK XXLS400 as a min with these speakers.

Xenon are even lighter in sound weight than the larger models so depending on your budget you probably want to consider other models such as 651/85/850/750/M5/M7 there is a big range to choose from depending on budget and the age of speakers as they have been around for some time.

The higher end 150's are their top of range (excluding the 300's which are £2k each speaker) models which stretch in age from new to around fifteen years old but can still command £800-1500 for the front LCR. These are in another league to the xenon's but also require very good quality amplification to get the best from them.

If you have not heard any I suggest getting a demo before you go any further to see if you like the sound or not.

Hows about this Keith! A system i know well has the Mk s300's LCR the centre is been driven via 1200w and LR 600w each then the rear Mk 300t's are receiving 300w each along with the 4 iw95's!! The x6 ht18's subwoofers will become 8 soon and are being driven by a powersoft k10 dsp ..............Yes they can very much cut it especially with this sort of amplification and are more dynamic again than with the usual AV power amps.

P.S All amps used are D class Pro amps.

I bet I would Steve:thumbsup:

I bet I would Steve:thumbsup:

Sorry keith i made a mistake and have had my hands smacked!! Just to say that two sets of rear Mk 300t's i mentioned above are receiving 600w each and not the 300w i stated Oops my bad:facepalm::)

Hi guys, joining in the conversation.
Just about to get 3 Xenon 26, anyone knows how they would behave with my HK2005 ?
Heard these sweeties need power to sing !

Thanx.

I got a nice Infinity Kappa sub that should work very well with them.
Shop dealer said they should be cut at 120 Hz, seems high to me though.

I've had a lot of big systems in the past and I really enjoy small speakers now.
Mk sounds just right, but it is always difficult to buy speakers without hearing them first.

Hi guys, joining in the conversation.
Just about to get 3 Xenon 26, anyone knows how they would behave with my HK2005 ?
Heard these sweeties need power to sing !

Thanx.

How large / small is your room! Are the xenon 26's for the rear or front LCR as 3's an odd number plus there tripole units , unless your going with a 6.1 channel setup.

I have the xenon 25's as back surrounds on a 7.2 setup , and are currently receiving 120w and will soon be receiving 250w although they will not be getting anything like that as surrounds...............But i cross them over at a 140hz to get the best out of them .

Hi mojogoes,
Thank you for your concern.

Room is large (25 m²) but I already have small speakers and do not need high volumes.

They are for the front LCR, and if I like them I will then go for the tripoles.
Power amp wiil feed them 120 W each.
140 Hz might be too much for me as I do not want to hear the subwoofer, although I will try several crossovers.

My point is to have very good small speakers with an excellent subwoofer in an ordinary living room!

Hi dude (OP).
You're asking the wrong question I think. In car terms it's like saying is an Audi RS6 still good? It's not defined to any parameters or budget and it needs to be compared. So cut it in terms of what? And there are different specs across the whole range.
From my personal experience and demo's I've heard, for the money, there isn't anything else that's impressed me as much for home cinema, period. That's regarding the S150 fronts and X12 subwoofer that I had in my previous system. And that's comparing to similarly priced set-ups as well as one which was 3 times as much. Plus I would argue that you need at least two subs for your living room (they don't have to be large at all). Best thing is to have plenty of demo's.

Hi mojogoes,
Thank you for your concern.

Room is large (25 m²) but I already have small speakers and do not need high volumes.

They are for the front LCR, and if I like them I will then go for the tripoles.
Power amp wiil feed them 120 W each.
140 Hz might be too much for me as I do not want to hear the subwoofer, although I will try several crossovers.

My point is to have very good small speakers with an excellent subwoofer in an ordinary living room!

Ah gotcha!! I still think you'll want to xover at a 120hz+ though!! And as a 5.1 or 7.1 mk setup then you will definitely like the xenon 26 tripole's if you like the LCR fronts.

P.S your concern will be weather to use a second subwoofer or not , which imho would be a must.

Last edited:
Thanx dude!
Why would you use two subwoofers instead of one?
Mine is a hell of a beast!
But your point is relevant and got me curious
;-)

Because if for no other reason you having a large room plus using 2 will give a larger flatter response ! And give more output and headroom.

Having 2 subs can also be a problem depending on room environment.
In my case it would be hard to handle.
Nevertheless glad that you enjoy the Xenons so much and I can't wait to try them at home.

Why do you think they are better than other brands ? Like Monitor Audio Apex or B&W mt60 ?

Having 2 subs can also be a problem depending on room environment.
In my case it would be hard to handle.
Nevertheless glad that you enjoy the Xenons so much and I can't wait to try them at home.

Why do you think they are better than other brands ? Like Monitor Audio Apex or B&W mt60 ?

When you say it can be a problem having two subs! do you mean in the way of having to set them up. I thought a man of your calibre wouldn't have any issues with this;)

Have we met in a previous life mate ?

Money and Waf are my main issues ; -)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom