do little DVDs fit?

richard plumb

Distinguished Member
considering getting a DVD camcorder as its easier to watch stuff than faffing with tapes. But will my iMac accept the little 8cm discs? And are its files supported in iMovie?

Any general comments on DVD camcorders? They are cheap and I read a mediocre review of two in a camcorder mag. Don't want it to be a false economy

alanrob

Sure I read somewhere that you should never put mini CD/DVD's anywhere near a slot loading drive.

hutch

Distinguished Member
You definitely cant do it, says somewhere in the instructions.

raigraphixs

Distinguished Member
should be able to connect via firewire and watch, or dump the video on mac for editing, and keep the mini dvds for backups.

teejay38

Novice Member
Richard,
According to some movie camcorder buffs on another forum I frequent, the quality of image from both DVD and hard drive recorders is greatly inferior to that of , for instance, the good quality Sony DV cameras which use mini-tapes. And in any case on no account should you try to feed a mini disc of any sort into your iMac's DVD drive. It may chew it up but it sure as hell won't spit it out!

richard plumb

Distinguished Member
hmm. So these cans can transfer via USB? Not too bad I suppose. But then when finalized to play in a DVD player I wouldn't be able to put them in the mac for ripping...

Richard I have a Sony DCR-DVD803e camera, as the model number suggests it is a DVD Camcorder...

I just point and shoot and have many nice moments captured. Then just finalise it within the Camera and then have a choice, either put the tape direct in my DVD player, or as my wife does at the grand parents etc and immediately have access to chapter and all sorts....And then I connect it to my Macbook via the USB2 cable, it basically shows up as a DVD rewriter and imovie can immediately import the footage in all its widescreen and 5.1 surround quality. Please note that although the footage is stored as 5.1 iMovie doesn't know what to do with it, so once you export from iMovie it will be stereo again....

Quality, hmmm well it is very very good. Sure technically a DV tape based camera should be better since the format is lossless...A DVD camera is MPEG2 so just like with photo camera's that shoot in JPEG mode each edit you loose loads of quality, in fact so much that you really should not buy a photo camera that shoots in jpeg nor a dvd camcorder that shoots in MPEG2. But sure you shout get one of those nice new HD camera's that all record in a compress MPEG4 format /end of sarcasme....

Quality is superb, really good would not worry about that...The only thing to be honest is that each disc only takes 20 minutes...But if you shooting styles is short and snappy compared to the whole wobbly 90 minutes school play that nobody ever watches again anyway....Than there is no problem at all....

iMovie 08 is great with DVD Camcorder, it makes it very easy and quick to get scenes from several discs together...

Oh and to answer you original question, no you should not put the little discs in...And yes I know the Wii can, my one does....

Tenex

Novice Member
considering getting a DVD camcorder as its easier to watch stuff than faffing with tapes. But will my iMac accept the little 8cm discs? And are its files supported in iMovie?

Nooooooooooooooooo! Funny but heard of this on a podcast this week, apparently it cost a $1000 to fix an iMac after they had one of these inserted....

Probably an exaggeration but just to emphasise they aren't compatible with the iMac.

I'd stay with miniDV until HD HDD camcorders are affordable.

D

Deleted member 92943

I wondered by it wouldn't take the small dvd's

I pushed one in the drive and it got stuck:rolleyes: But i found that pushing another dvd in will force the drive to eject the mini disc

This is a real pain as i want to instal the software for my new phone:(

I wondered by it wouldn't take the small dvd's

I pushed one in the drive and it got stuck:rolleyes: But i found that pushing another dvd in will force the drive to eject the mini disc

This is a real pain as i want to instal the software for my new phone:(

just download the phone software from the internet! Something you should do anyway to ensure you have the latest version.

D

Deleted member 92943

LG don't have the software available on their site to download. I'm surprised as it's the new Viewty phone

LG don't have the software available on their site to download. I'm surprised as it's the new Viewty phone

Shocking that you can't do that! But luckily you should be able to set it as a USB mass storage device and then can just browse on the phone and copy to your hearts content....

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom