do LG slip in VA/TN panels instead of IPS at factory level?

p1dg1n

Prominent Member
Reaction score
My dads new LG should be IPS but is TN/VA when he moves slightly to left or right it goes overcast...also when he opened it , it had NO PEELY on the screen, this tells me its been returned and re-sold... as all TV's have that peely.

the TV is a 43UN74006LB

he sys he has read that manufacturers put TN or VA panels in on the sly at times to save costs???

i recommended taking it back to curries before his 21 days is up and getting a full refund and getting advice on here before buying - budget £400ish- 42" 4K

thanks

Out of interest...

Is it actually stated on LG's UK website that the 43UN74006LB is fitted with an IPS panel?

it doe not say which type of panel it is under specs - but my £400 LG with CCFL was IPS, my current LG is IPS.... another thread i posted about simialiar isuue (related) they said it shoud be ips

Why not ask LG to confirm?

Sadly, the information provided on these sites is not perfect for every country and panel size!

The 43UN74006LB has an IPS panel, LG state it on the spec. So LG is not going to use another panel in this case.

i couldn't find it on LG website ashenfie can you show me so i can sho my dad to show hes been ripped off an should immediately get a refund

There is apparently a VA version on the UN7300 (USA model) so possibly applies to the UN7400 too

From rtings UN7300 review on viewing angles

The viewing angles are okay, although it's a bit of a step down from the UM7300. It should be fine for a small to moderately-large room, but not for a large room or wide seating arrangements.

There appears to be two versions of the UN7300 with the exact same model code. The one we tested has an IPS panel and is identified as a "Real 4k IPS" on the box. It's also possible to find a VA version of it, which is identified by the text "Real 4k Display" on the box. We expect the VA version to have much better contrast, but worse viewing angles.

So have a look on the box and if it says "real 4K display" on it, that means its a VA panel.

I've asked him to he's at work, im shocked at this my £400 LG is IPS - his 10 year old £400 samsung is IPS..

he siid that he read the TV manufacturers sometimes slip in VA panels in odd units to help save on costs? - ive asked for the link to the info...

it had no peely on the screen which tells me its not new for starters

I've asked him to he's at work, im shocked at this my £400 LG is IPS - his 10 year old £400 samsung is IPS..

he siid that he read the TV manufacturers sometimes slip in VA panels in odd units to help save on costs? - ive asked for the link to the info...

it had no peely on the screen which tells me its not new for starters
No peely on the screen doesn't necessarily mean it's not new. The telling clue is whether the box looked sealed, as well as the wrapping on the remote, stand parts etc. I don't actaully think the 43 inch LGs come with a screen wrap (peely), none of the one's I've ever unboxed have.

As has been suggested above, contact LG and ask them to search by serial number.

aye getting him to do it is another, hes 65 n cant be bothered but it really would bother me as I suggested the set on the basis it was IPS like every other LG ive had n seen, he wont spend money - for TEN YEARS+ he kept a Samsung 32" 720p and foxsat 1080p upscaler which would have been upaling 576i to 1080i then deinterlacing to 1080p - sendin that to the TV which would THEN be downscaling it to 720p...and all this time he thought he was watching 1080p upscaled.., he had a DVD player, the FOXSAT tuner, a soundbar and android box, he had about 6 controls...i said do himself a favour and get rid of all that clutter and get ONE 4K TV that does it all but on a budget (so no Dolby Vision, no OLED, no REAL 10-bit panel) but just about everything else AND i went trhough LGs website first to ensure it was what it was but IPS (or any panel type) was not on there so assumed it was like all other i had

edited to correct spelling mistakes

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom