1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do LCD's ever break-down?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by hurstnicholas, Jul 25, 2005.

1. hurstnicholas

hurstnicholas
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have whittled down my preferences to either a Toshiba 32WL56 or the Samsung equivalent. I am erring towards a Toshiba.
    My next issue is where to buy?
    Being middle class and of embarrasingly suburban tendencies, I am drawn towards John Lewes / /Peter Jones - but their prices seem to be about £300 higher than the seemingly charming RGB (i.e. an on-line firm, that JL probably will not price match).
    The difference between the two?
    JL offer a 5 year warranty - a three year one from an on-line firm would bring the total cost back to near the JL level.
    I know few have owned LCD TV's for up to 5 years, but does anybody have any experience re. reliability issues - I guess repairs on these things can pretty soon total £300 or more, given that these days, repair men (and women) seem to just replace components, rather than repair them?
    Thanks
    N

2. Matt TRD

Matt TRD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Any electrical appliance is prone to some sort of problems so yes a warranty is advisable. JL's deal is a good one provided that they can actually supply you with one there was a long waiting list when i phoned them.

3. hurstnicholas

hurstnicholas
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Matt - the last time that I was in the stores (c. a week ago), both Peter Jones and JL had the 32" Toshiba in, and I think, the Samsung as well - although Harrods (in the sale at least) were £100 cheaper for the Toshiba.
    I'm still to decide which to opt for - The Samsung looks the nicest, but the Toshiba, I understand, is reckoned to be better technically, but to my eyes, the Toshiba's case looked a little flimsy.
    Nick

4. Matt TRD

Matt TRD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    I ended up buying a Hitachi 32LD7200 a great piece of kit and highly sought after.

The Toshiba has also had good reviews on here personaly i wouldn't opt for the Samsung in my own experience their screens have never impressed me had a lot of trouble a few years back with one of their 20" LCD.

It is really difficult deciding which to go for but ultimately just choose the one that offers all the features you require and looks good as you will likely have to live with it for a few years.

Good luck on your choice and i hope you are happy with your decision.

It took me about 6 months to decide so i know what its like.