Do KEF 1005's sound better than Bose Cubes?

Nokmondoo

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi, i had some bose cubes, acoustimass 9 i think, but i sold them a while ago, i thought they sounded very tinny. So i'm still looking for something to replace my floorstanders. I was recommended the kef 1005's on this forum so i was wondering if they are better sounding than the bose and if the sub is decent too? Thanks

ohhh yes!
the uni q driver is good too,
bose uses a bogo paper cone still.

the 1005's are reasuringly heavy too, 1kg each and are solid, u would not want one of em thrown at u lol,

im very happy with mine nice and clear and do not plan on upgrading them,

the sub was not powerful enough for my room however so i upgraded, but the speakers i have no long term plans to upgrade

infact if anything im considering another 2 for my rears to make use of the 7.1

thanks for the reply mate. How big is your room if you don't mind me asking?
Would they be ok to sit on the floor or do they need mounting/a stand?

room size erm at guess 8m by 10m at guess lol.

you want them at ear level ideally, they sit nicely on units, and the wall brackets compliment the shape,
my 3 fronts are on a cabinet ear height my rears at ear type on stands.

Thanks again. Do you think the sub would be powerful enough for a 4m x 9m room (living/dining room in one)?

My parents have those bad boys in a room of a similar size guessing about 7*5m. The bass seemed totally fine to me - I dont like it THAT bassy and they adequately shaked the room without issue, thought the foundations were gonna give way at one point! I suspect sticking the sub in the corner of the room helped - depends where you intend to place it I suppose

my current sub is in the corner just behind the sofa its only a cheapo eltax so the kef one should kick its ass i presume.

I owned a pair of Eggs for a while. Whilst I'm sure they're better than the Bose cubes, I still wouldn't put them on par with a decent pair of normal stand mounts, they simply don't have the size to compete.
Can't say I'd rush out to buy another pair.

I need to get rid of my floorstanders now, the wife doens't think they go with the room so i need small speakers now.

sukebe, you are right they dont sound as good as normal stand mount speakers, but damn I wish all stand mounters looked as good or felt as well made as these do. Also for the size these cannot be touched. The highs feel so smooth compared to something like a TDL nucleus 2 which is meant to be a fairly respectable stand mount speaker. As for th ebass blowing away your current Eltax DEFINATELY. I used to own a large Tiny branded 8" sub, which was a pretty nice sub and it was positively weedy in comparison to the KEF. I hear the 2005's are meant to be much better but for an extra 200 notes they damn well should be! For the size you cannot complain - my mother thinks they look cute and am sure your mrs would be more than happy to have the 'cute' looking speakers in the living room - good talking point with your mates too.

yeh, using a aiwa amp at the mo, i'll be getting a new one when i've got the cheese!

in which case providing you have a sub out I cant imagine you getting anything near the quality of the KEFs for the money! - what you waiting for?! :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom