Do John Lewis do home repairs? (Panny just broke - what could be wrong?)

MrBungle2005

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Great Christmas day for me today - switched my Panny on this evening, flicked over to an HDMI input ready for my Xbox and hear a small "pop". Tv switched to HDMI one and I have a black bar about 3 inches wide to the left of the screen.

It seems as though one vertical 3 inch wide section of the screen has just stopped working :(

Obviously I'm stuck now and can't call JL until Wed I guess. I've tried leaving the set off for a while as I clutch as straws hoping that it might reset itself (fat chance) but didn't help.

As it is a 50inch model (TH50PZ80B) I'm hoping they can repair it here rather than take it away (and make the wait for it to be fixed even longer) - is that what they tend to do? (if it's a known easy fix?)

As it all seems to be functioning other than this black bar I'm hoping it is something relatively minor.

I'm so gutted. I love this TV and the thought of someone opening her up, and potentially (accidentally) putting finger marks in the screen fills me with dread :(

Thanks for any info

p.s it was bought in Aug 2008 so is under their 5 year warranty so don't want to do anything drastic myself like remove the back panel to look for faults if I can avoid it. Even though I used to work in car hi-fi doing installations and repairs and so am confident with dismantling electronics, I'd rather avoid it unless it may be an easy fix.

Last edited:
when ours broke they sent someone round,they even gave us the option of finding someone local and send them the bill so it can be repaired quicker.

First time our Hitachi 42inch failed JL said they don't repair large screens in the home and a van and driver arrived to take it away. However the Hitachi was replaced with a Panasonic 42 inch and when this failed they sent an engineer to examine the fault. He just took a quick look said it would have to be taken away. I think it depends which company they are using to do the repairs.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom