• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Do I want a PS3?

gr0uty

Prominent Member
Stupid question but Im a bit confused. I recently sold my 360 because I was a bit bored with it. Now Im sort of thinking I wouldn’t mind trying out a PS3 as I will miss occasional gaming but their still well expensive and Im having a hard time justifying it to myself, Is it really worth £300?.

I like the idea I can copy files to the HDD like my own music and movies, the machine in general seems a bit more versatile than the 360. It also has built in wifi and also a blu ray player. The only thing that Im a bit dubious about is the games. Im most comparisons I have read the 360 versions always seem to be that little bit better. However there do seem to be some nice exclusives like LPB, R2, Killzone2 and some others coming along. However I did read that Call of duty World at War runs better on the PS3, but that was on a PS3 website so I will take that with a pinch of salt. Also is online gaming easy to set up on a PS3.

Argh. Any imput appreciated.

D

Deleted member 92943

Go for it mate. It does coat alot more than a 360 but there's ALOT of value for money under that hood. There's LOADS of games including a large ammount of exclusives on the way

We're now past the days where the PS3 gets an inferior version of multi-platform games. They're pretty much the same and some games like SKATE 2 are PS3 platform lead too.

sonygeek84

Standard Member
The PS3 is freakin amazing, and the blu-ray player gets a lot of use in my house. I think its way more versatile than the 360 and its not the 300 quid that i'd be worried about, its the cost of the games, as longas you can get them cheaply then go for it.

Tigerblade

Distinguished Member
We're now past the days where the PS3 gets an inferior version of multi-platform games. They're pretty much the same and some games like SKATE 2 are PS3 platform lead too.

Exactamundo!

360 versions used to be better, now they are pretty much identical.

Also is online gaming easy to set up on a PS3.

It is getting easier, there isn't a unified invite system like the 360 so it goes on a game by game basis, tbh tho I'm struggling to think of a game that I play alot online that is hard to play with friends....so it has drastically improved :smashin: The only one that was a ball ache was Fifa'08, '09 has rectified all those probs.

As soon as they add cross game chat then it'll be even better.

Dan Gleebitz

Established Member
Get one, they're awesome. The games are great and getting better all the time. The next few months in particular are looking very rosey for PS3 owners.

In terms of media, it's basically replaced my media PC now. I can either stream music and video from my PC or simply run files from a USB key. It plays any DivX I throw at it.

It is pricey but you get a lot for your money.

gr0uty

Prominent Member
Thanks for the replies. Im more or less convinced, may hold out for a week or two see if I can pick up some sort of deal, pref including LBP.

D

Deleted member 92943

There are definately some LBP bundles planned for the 24th although i'm not sure exactly what they will be

D

Deleted member 92943

I think that will be a dead cert. Japan are getting the 80GB Console, LBP and an extra Dual shock pad (2 in total) so i'd be surprised if we don't get that here too.

They'll probably be bundles with LBP and the 160GB console too once it's out

EwanSuttie

Standard Member
I think one of the great things about the PS3 is that you can put any sized hard-drive in it. So, you could put a 250GB drive in it then copy your albums across, convert your dvd's and shuv them in the attic and then pick from over 1000 (just guessing) Blu-Ray movies.

And in terms of game this christmas all you will be missing out on with the xbox is Gears of War 1.5 and fable 2. The PS3 has got LBP, Resistance 2, Socom and all the cross-platformers like Far-Cry 2, Fallout 3, Call Of Duty: World at War.

Buy A PS3 and don't look back.:D

Tigerblade

Distinguished Member
And in terms of game this christmas all you will be missing out on with the xbox is Gears of War 1.5 and fable 2. The PS3 has got LBP, Resistance 2, Socom and all the cross-platformers like Far-Cry 2, Fallout 3, Call Of Duty: World at War.

Gears of War meet your long lost twin Quantum Theory ;)

gr0uty

Prominent Member
I think one of the great things about the PS3 is that you can put any sized hard-drive in it. So, you could put a 250GB drive in it then copy your albums across, convert your dvd's and shuv them in the attic and then pick from over 1000 (just guessing) Blu-Ray movies.

Buy A PS3 and don't look back.:D

To be honest I wasnt that bothered about gears:eek:, I finished it but the online did nothing for me, spent most of my time on COD4. I really like the look of LBP and COD world at war, also the new Motorstorm games looks cool.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom