Do I wait?

richiej

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I have a problem, that appears to be "the norm" for on here, and I'm glad that I'm not the only one :)

My Story:

I thought about getting a new tv about 9 months ago, but knew nothing about what was available. I didn't know which were the better makes, models, and what did HD ready and 1080P really mean. :rolleyes:

I never buy on impulse and started my research :smashin:

My search has taken me from seeing the unknown named 32" tv's, which were my initial line of thinking, go from £399 to under £299, and the branded tv's which I didn't think were an option, go from £490 on the net to below my £399 figure.

The price drops over the past 9 months have seen 37" LCD's like the LG's drop into the £480 price range, and other brands go very near to £500. Very tempting.... "why not spend an extra £80 and go 37""?

If I'm going spend the best part of £500, why not go the whole hog and spend £600-£650 on a full HD spec tv like the Toshiba 37X3030 or the LG37LF75? Enjoy a hopefully better picture and be happy for the next few years instead of feeling a little cheated with the picture quality.

I'm still confused, but want to jump soon. Any comments on existing models would be great but...........

Do I now wait for the new round of new models to come through this spring?

When are they coming?

Where can I find out what kind of prices they are likely to be?

Will their launch mean discounts on the models that I now know inside out?

good models are the Toshiba 37X3030 as you said, i wouldnt trust LG not a good brand. or there is the le37M87bdx. i would go for the samsung, as the blacks are very deep. you could even consider the Sharp LC-37X20E

HEllo
Like you said this is the problem most folks have when it comes to buying a new lcd tv.
What is your budget?
technolagy is changeing all the time i myself was looking for an lcd tv,
and was thinking of waiting for the next big thing.
There is always gonna be new models comeing out and there is always gonna be the next big thing round the corner.
So i say jump on board the lcd train now.
There is great deals out there just now check out all the reviews.
so i say now is the best time to buy.:clap:

What is your budget?

There is great deals out there just now check out all the reviews.

Thanks for your replies :thumbsup:

My budget?..... seems to now be upto £650 if I go for a 37" full HD screen... no questions good tv :rolleyes: . £500ish if I go 37", and lowish £400 for 32". I've not moved my stance to go for a "top of the range" 32" lcd when I can buy a 37" for that kind of money.

Reviews :confused: ..... they all say something different. None of them say..... "buy this one" to me. I can't see the point in going for the 91%'er at £700 when the 89%'er, which is a "good all rounder" costs £520.

good models are the Toshiba 37X3030 as you said, i wouldnt trust LG not a good brand. or there is the le37M87bdx. i would go for the samsung, as the blacks are very deep. you could even consider the Sharp LC-37X20E

it depends on the models really, for example some LGs are not great, but the new 32 inch LG LB75 was given 5/5 in a number of magazines, u could say some toshibas at 32 inch were problems for some people, buzzing banding etc.

so while i agree about some LGs being bad u cant say its all of them as thats unfair as a lot of tvs have problems, look at the sony 32 D3000, there are reported issues with the xbox 360.

some makes/models are good some are not, the hardest part is finding the right tv for u.

I wonder whether it is better to spend less and get a mid-range tv and replace it in a few years and buy another mid-range tv and replace it in a few years. that way you always have a reasonable tv rather than buying a top-end tv today which is superseded by a better technology in a few years.

the LG 37LF75 telly does seem to have the best spec for the money of any i've seen around lately
cheapest i've seen it is 675 which is £45 more than the tosh 37X3030D but the refresh rate (6ms vs 8ms) and higher contrast ratio may be worth that (10,000 vs 3200).

I'm currently dithering about which cheapish 37" to buy

the LG 37LF75 telly does seem to have the best spec for the money of any i've seen around lately
cheapest i've seen it is 675 which is £45 more than the tosh 37X3030D but the refresh rate (6ms vs 8ms) and higher contrast ratio may be worth that (10,000 vs 3200).

I'm currently dithering about which cheapish 37" to buy

the best one so far i have seen at 37 inch zeb is the tosh one.

the best one so far i have seen at 37 inch zeb is the tosh one.

Cheers.
So the better response time and contrast ratio of the LG won't actually make much difference?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom