Do I use 5.1 or 7.1 with "Height" speakers??

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Mikebike125, Feb 10, 2014.

1. Mikebike125

Mikebike125
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just got a DENON AVR-3313ci and would like to use the height speaker option. I currently have a 5.1 setup and would like to add the height speakers. I have a BR player connected to the AVR and have turned on the Audssey DSX "height" option which turns on these speakers. My question is, on the BR disc, do I use the 5.1 audio track or the 7.1 audio track? The reason I ask is because if I select the 7.1 track, will it divide the sound to add the "wide" speakers therefore removing part of the audio track to either my L or R speakers because it it trying to send it to wide speakers that are not there? Or will the AVR send height sounds to the height speakers with the 7.1 track..... or should I just use the 5.1 track? I am really confused with which track to use.

2. mtenga

mtenga
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,051
    If you add heights to your setup the Denon will utilise Prologic to create the extra height channels. Would not matter whether you used the 5.1 or 7.1 track, either way the receiver would be "making up" the height effects. The 7.1 track is mastered to use surround back speakers which you do not have so all that extra information will just be sent to the two surrounds.

3. Mikebike125

Mikebike125
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, so if I leave it on 7.1, I won't be missing any audio or if I put it on 5.1 it should sound the same with my setup, correct?

4. mtenga

mtenga
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,051
    Yes regardless you wont be missing anything. Audyssey or Prologic will create the output for the height channels either way.

Having said that the 7.1 track is sometimes of a higher quality than the 5.1 on the same disc. It will say what they are in the menu on the disc. So if the 7.1 track is Dolby TruHD and the 5.1 just vanilla Dolby Digital you'd clearly choose the 7.1 for example.

5. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,059

If you've a 7.1 receiver, you'd still choose the 7.1 TrueHD option if only using a 5.1 or 5.1 plus heights setup. There's no reason to choose the SD 5.1 option because the AV receiver simply mixes the 2 back channels down into the rear surround channels. There's no requirement to use the lesser format. If you elect to use a 7.1 channel audio track, but you are using a 5.1 cofiguration plus heights then the receiver mixes down the back channels. If you then switch either DSX or PLIIz off the receiver would then redirect the back channels to the back speakers if connected. You can have both heights and back speakers connected and switch between the two depending upon the mode you set the receiver into.

If you've a 9.1 receiver then you can have 7.1 that utilises the back channels plus the height channels.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  6. mtenga

mtenga
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,051
    I thought I'd said that!

7. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,059
    You seem to be suggesting that someone with a 5.1 setup would select an SD quality 5.1 format over an HD 7.1 option purely because the SD option is 5.1?

I was simply enforcing the fact that the higher quality 7.1 format can be selected irrespective of the receivers configuration.

8. mtenga

mtenga
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,051
    Where have I suggested that?

What I said it is that the receiver will create the front height channels regardless of the track used. Nowhere did I suggest using the lower quality track. Quite the opposite in fact!