1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do I upgrade the amp & speakers now?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by FrankieBoy, Sep 10, 2004.

1. FrankieBoy

FrankieBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had my system for a number of years and when I bought it, it was highly regarded.

However, it is OLD Pro Logic (remember that?), a Yamaha DSPA2070 which was £1200 back then.

Honest answers please to;

1. Will I notice a marked difference in changing to Stereo rear channels

2. Would the advances in technology and drop in prices mean that a Yamaha 750SE amp would provide a reasonable change or would I notice a drop in 'quality' and need to buy a more expensive amp to maintain /improve the listening experience with movies.

On the speaker front, I have what must look like an odd mix by todays 'matched set' options, but I am not sure that there is anything hugely wrong with what I have.

The front pair are Proac Supertower II floorstanders
    The Centre is a Kef 100C
    The rears are JBL Monitor 1's (which were fine for Pro-Logic's limited frequency at the rear)
    The sub is a Rel Strata Mk1

Thats over £2000 worth of speakers historically and I'm not sure what I should do to ensure that I dont undo the benefit of upgrading the amp - presumably upgrade the rears at least.

The room is 16 x 12, the leads are all decent (IXOS Gold scarts, Van der Hul phonos) and this is all linked to a Panasonic 36" TV, so any advice would be much appreciated.

2. CosmicOne

CosmicOne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    While am not an Audiophile & i don't know about ur amp or speakers but u should get a huge improvment going from a DolbyProLogic amp to a Reiciver like the RXV750 which have DolbyDigital:EX ,DTS:ES ,DolbyproLogicIIx & more other formats
    i have an Old KenWood reciver which only does DolbyDigital & Dolbyprologic & while my kenwood is considered **** now but there's huge difference when watching movies on dolbydigital than on dolbyprologic.

3. CosmicOne

CosmicOne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    BTW:am also looking to switch my KenWood to a RXV-750 or 1400.

4. John7

John7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +488
    I`m sure you will notice a marked difference as the rears are not only stereo but have a full range frequency coverage, unlike the limited range of the "old" Dolby.

The modern DSP`s are also faster, giving better rear effects. I dont know the receiver you are thinking of, but it probably has 6 or 7 channels of output, giving you the benefit of the surround back channel to further enhance effects steering and placement.

The speakers you have look fine and I seem to recall thet the JBL`s were highly regarded in their day and should be well up to the job of rear effects reproduction with a modern receiver (low end extension being handled by the sub of course). You will probaly want to add another pair of speakers to your set up for the surround back channels though.

Dont forget that most of the modern receivers have an auto-setup option that attempts to balance the frequency response of all your speakers to minimise the effect of differing speaker makes and tonal ranges. You will have read I`m sure, that all your speakers should be from the same manufacturer to ensure even tonal balance. However if you look on the forums, you will find plenty of people who have different speakers front, rear and centre (myself included) and are quite happy with the result (well at least until I have enough money to buy an M&K package)

The best way to explore the benefit of the new receiver though, would be to arrange a demo with a local dealer, taking along a few of your fave DVD`s that you are used to listening to on your old system. This should provide all the evidence you need to convince you to open your wallet!

Happy demoing and good luck!