Do I Upgrade my Center? Pls help

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by samraj, Mar 14, 2005.

1. samraj

samraj
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have recently upgraded to THX/7.1 and currently have all Wharfedale setup 2xDiamond 7.1(70w), rear & side 4 bipoles (70w) but my Center is only 30W from my previous system. I have not connected my system yet, and I would like to know if I should upgrade my center speaker? (I also have 8" Eltax sub)

1) Can I stick with my center and allow the Pioneer Autosetup (MACC) to take care of it?
    2)Upgrade my center to Wharfedales only (I have read a lot about tonal balance?!!!)
    3)Buy any other matching center - pls recommend

I will use the system for movies & TV mainly at low volumes - Thanks. :lease:

2. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +898
    I have not seen an autosetup that can fully compensate for the differences between different makes/models of front speakers used - they can help but it is still not great.

The easiest way to ensure full compatability would be to get the matching wharfedale centre to your fronts - it is not the power handling capabilities that are an issue but a more generic how it sounds. As an extreme example you could get a motorbike panning left to right which starts off sounding like a harley, then goes to a 50cc scooter as it goes across the centre and then back to a harley.

Whilst it may be possible to find another make/model that is an identical match I would strongly suggest that you do not attempt this but simply go for the made to measure centre from wharfedale

3. samraj

samraj
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your advice Astaroth, now that my fronts are no longer available - how do I go about picking a matching Center from the Wharfedale range? Can I get myself their best Center speaker (Evo range) as I have read that most of the work is actually handled by the center speaker - suggestions appreciated.

4. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +898
    I am not a fan of Wharfedale and so cannot really comment on them. The centre speaker picks up most the dialogue and some of the 'action' during a multichannel film where as the fronts pick up most the 'action' but can pick up some of the dialogue too.

The problem is that having a non-matching setup is that sounds can become inconsistant when panning across the front speakers if they are not tonally matched (as per my extreme example above). Whilst there may be some arguement that having a better centre for dialogue may improve the experience more than having non-matching fronts reduces the home cinema expereince I personally would only purchase a 'better' non-matching centre if it was my intention to buy new fronts to match the centre in the near future.

When I personally had a similar issue to you - my speakers were out of production and the little ones managed to kill my rears - I emailed the manufacture and asked them to provide an effective "list of preference" - and in my case Mission did not recommend going for the upper models but either finding old stock or going for the replacement range which were almost identical. If you emailed Wharfedale and asked them to give a list of their products in order of match to your fronts I am sure they would oblidge

5. samraj

samraj
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Again!