Do I Still Need An AVR?

Stevieramone

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

My setup has evolved and I'm not sure I'm going to still need an AVR but I wanted to check in case I'm overlooking something.

So I had a Cambridge Audio 5.1 speaker set, running through a Yamaha RX-A680. Also connected is Sky Q 2tb box with UHD package, a PS4 Pro and a Nintendo Switch (my son's - I swear!). All this was displayed on a 4yr old 65" Phillips Ambilight TV.

The missus recently made me mount the TV over an unused fireplace and as it was impossible to place the centre speaker, I ended up trading in the 5.1 speaker set for a Yamaha YAS-207 soundbar. I managed to set it up so the AVR output went direct to the HDMI 2.1 port on the TV and then soundbar connected directly to the TV.

Now, my Phillips Ambilight is packing up so I've just bought a Samsung 65" QN95A and to take advantage of Q Symphony, I also picked up the Q600a soundbar.

With the 4 x HDMI 2.1 ports on the One Connect box and the Q Symphony sound setup, I'm struggling to work out what value the AVR is adding now. I could just take the one HDMI cable out of the Philips TV and plug it into the One Connect box, but the AVR in the middle now feels superfluous.

I'd really appreciate your thoughts.

Best,

Steve

Yep, no need for the AVR, you didn't need it as soon as you got a soundbar (unless your old tv didnt have enough hdmi ports).

Just plug all devices into the one connect box, then have your soundbar plugged into arc (or earc) port on tv / one connect box.

Yep, no need for the AVR, you didn't need it as soon as you got a soundbar (unless your old tv didnt have enough hdmi ports).

Just plug all devices into the one connect box, then have your soundbar plugged into arc (or earc) port on tv / one connect box.
Thanks, I suspected as much - read a lot about not needing the AVR when I bought the Yamaha soundbar, but it was convenient to only have one cable for all sources running to the TV (which only had the one HDMI 2.1 port).

Now the One Connect box has taken care of that issue, I was hoping I could sell the AVR and the old soundbar to offset the cost of the new kit.

Thanks again - much appreciated 👍

Thanks, I suspected as much - read a lot about not needing the AVR when I bought the Yamaha soundbar, but it was convenient to only have one cable for all sources running to the TV (which only had the one HDMI 2.1 port).

Now the One Connect box has taken care of that issue, I was hoping I could sell the AVR and the old soundbar to offset the cost of the new kit.

Thanks again - much appreciated 👍
No probs.

There is a classified section here if you were unaware and looking to sell your unwanted kit.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom