Quantcast

Do i sell or stick

westleyj

Ive recently got a dali ef9 in mint condition with 16 months left on the warrenty. Ive paired this with a pair of ae301's. My amp doesnt have pre outs, so adjusting it via tape out is a pain. Should i stick , or do you think anyone would be willing to swap with a sub with speaker terminals.

paulst10

Distinguished Member
You could try putting an trade ad in the classifieds, someone may want to swap..

Or you could sell and buy a sub with high level connections.

Ultrasonic

Is it a stereo hifi amplifier that you have? If so you really need a subwoofer with high-level inputs for your setup. Trying to use fixed level tape-outs really isn't going to work well, as you've found.

So long term you either need to change subwoofers (and I'd suggest going for a BK sub instead) or change you amplifier to one that does have pre-amp outputs.

Honestly I doubt anyone will want to swap but not harm in posting a Trade thread in the classifieds to try. I suspect your best bet will be to sell your current sub and then buy a BK sub as a replacement. (REL subs also have high level inputs but BK have better value for money options for your, plus you get to support a UK company.)

MI55ION

I see plenty of speaker to line level converters for car audio on Amazon, isn't there anything similar for home audio or have I missed something?

Ultrasonic

I see plenty of speaker to line level converters for car audio on Amazon, isn't there anything similar for home audio or have I missed something?
I had wondered the same actually. Presumably what it built into BK/REL subwoofers must be similar. I don't know anything about car audio to know if there may be any obvious issues with using one but there is a response to one of the questions for this item on Amazon where someone says they use it with a home audio subwoofer OK:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Speaker-Converter-High-Line-Level/dp/B004UA753G

MI55ION

6105K8SL92L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

The ones with lot of cables seem to be active devices since they have power going into them so presumably unsuitable for home audio.

3101l8TwRAL._AC_SY400_.jpg

However there are others with just left/right speaker inputs which one assumes are passive and should therefore work.

Some of them only a few quid on Ebay so maybe worth a try before changing the sub?

Ultrasonic

I'd want to find out a bit more info. before just trying one myself. My guess is that one would be OK but I don't want to just suggest that the OP tries something and then find it damages their amplifier.

MI55ION

Agreed.

Personally I have no experience with the product itself but I believe the OP ultimately has agency to decide if it's an option they would want to explore further by for instance getting touch with the sellers/manufacturers for confirmation etc. I wouldn't suggest they go in blind, perhaps my post wasnt clear on that front.

westleyj

Thank you for the replies. I'll look into what you mentioned. The reviews for the particular sub are so scarce, and it is such a pain to set up. It is so dificult finding a small musical sub as most are geared to home theatre. And my budget is tight. Id like to think id get 250 for the sub, which id say is fair with the 16mths transferable warrenty, box manual and mint condition. Its just around this budget im not sure a bk xls200 etc would be a step up/sidewards etc. The dali rrp is 400, and grill 30( included)

Ultrasonic

Don't let RRP be your sole guide for quality. Bear in mind that BK subs generally offer better value for money due to only being sold direct (so no dealer margin is added to the price) and they don't spend much on advertising from what I've seen.

westleyj

Yeah, ive spent many hours researching them. And that was my thinking to. I was geared to getting a xls200 but saw the dali with the warrenty and what reviews i found was positive. But so many people mention the Ht side and not musical. And it's subjective. And im thinking im going to sell. But what i get ‍♂ who knows