Do i renew or re-use Aerial cable

SAMBA VAN MAN

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hiya Guys who know their onions:laugh:
I am buying a new tv to hang on the wall as i currently have a toshiba crt tv. The Aerial wire that go's to this is the Brown wire that looks like it is the original wire from when the aerial was installed many many years ago. I currently get a great reception on my current crt tv. Is it worth me cutting the cable where it enters the house and putting new cable in?? Or should i take the if it aint broke don't fix it approach?:rolleyes:

Thanks

Paul

I would say there is little point in replacing it if it works. In any case, apart from any accidental damage, the internal section is less likely to suffer from wear and tear/weather damage (I hope!) than the external run. The logic of that is that if you are going to replace, replace it all. A join will introduce the possibility of external interference or loss of signal.

Just make sure you carefully remove the lead from your old set using the plug to pull it. The classic case is physical damage to the connection in the plug when it is yanked out and then people wonder why what was a perfectly good signal is suddenly so poor.

I entirely agree with lbear about not introducing extra connectors - at best you'll reduce the signal level.

However, I do think, everything else being equal, that new, shielded aerial cable is a good idea.

It might be an idea to check what antenna your transmitter requires post-DSO - assuming that you haven't already changed. If you will have to change, then wait to do the lot in one go.

Hiya Guys who know their onions:laugh:
I am buying a new tv to hang on the wall as i currently have a toshiba crt tv. The Aerial wire that go's to this is the Brown wire that looks like it is the original wire from when the aerial was installed many many years ago. I currently get a great reception on my current crt tv. Is it worth me cutting the cable where it enters the house and putting new cable in?? Or should i take the if it aint broke don't fix it approach?:rolleyes:

Thanks

Paul

In my view: why change something if it is working ;)

And in anycase changing just a very short length of cable is likely to achieve very little.

Cables badly terminated on connectors (e.g. BellingLee not soldered) Loose connectors or poor quality fly leads seem to be the biggest general cause of problems.

Last edited by a moderator:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom