1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

do I really need to splash out on an arcam

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by kitlowski, Jan 16, 2005.

Tags:
  1. kitlowski

kitlowski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am in the process of buying and arcam dv78 and an av 250 , with quad speakers to reach my goul of a combined system for haome cinema and good quality HiFi - Do I really need to go to this standard and expense?
    The whole system will cost over £3000. ( I started with a budget of £500!!!)
    Having said this I have to admit it does sound amazing.

2. Markie Boy

Markie Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Perth, Western Australia (Originally Ireland)
    Ratings:
    +228
    Well I wish I could afford to go to that system!!!

3. krungthep56

krungthep56

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi,

I was faced with the same dilemma, and was considering Arcam AV250 w Quad speakers. Then I lowered my sights on cost grounds and have just purchased a Denon 3805: while the system is undoubtedly not as good in stereo/with music, but by changing to an Asian manufacturer, I was able to save the best part of 1,000GBP!!

Arcam is undoubtedly good for the purist, but Denon puts a good argument forward for going for a substantially cheaper alternative at a quality that is not significantly lower.

Hope this helps.

HT

4. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    Tbh it depends on what you are trying to achieve. The setup you have suggested is obviously quite top-end and will give you a performance to match. However, whether you need to go to this standard and expense really depends on your personal choice (and wallet size!) I assume you've demo'd other equipment, and therefore you'll know that different models give slightly different performance. You could get away with a much cheaper alternative, but then you would be comprising on certain aspects of your home cinema or hi-fi performance.

I've heard the Quad L series partnered with an Arcam AVR300 and it was an awesome combo, if I had the money I wouldn't have hesitated putting down my money for it!

5. daleski75

daleski75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    I have quad speakers all round and yes Tejstar is right its an amazing combination and well worth the money, I am currently waiting to complete my system with a nad processor and amp and have gone very over budget but its well worth it.

Go for the best you can afford that way in many years you will still have a smile on your face :)

6. kitlowski

kitlowski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks for all the advice. I did demo aome denon gear but found it much too soft and mellow on music next to the arcam. I will probably run with the arcam combination if I can convince the wife its worth the expense